virginia townhouses court ruling legal fees

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,368 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 22:33

I've never understood the popularity of HOA's in America. I can certainly understand the benefit of pooling resources to help with upkeep but all too often HOA's are abused by manipulative and egotistical people to impose overly draconian rules. Personally I think that political signs are horribly distasteful and wish that people didn't have to be subjected to them but what's distasteful to me could be very important to someone else; some people don't like Christmas lights but that doesn't mean they should be banned altogether.

I think the main appeal is that it keeps property values up and the neighborhood looking clean. Non-HOA neighborhoods run the risk of people doing whatever they want which drives people away from buying houses in the area.

#17 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,960 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 12 February 2013 - 22:55

I think the main appeal is that it keeps property values up and the neighborhood looking clean. Non-HOA neighborhoods run the risk of people doing whatever they want which drives people away from buying houses in the area.

But it always strikes me as a contradiction how HOA's restrict personal freedom when the US prides itself on its liberty. I know the theory is that you don't have to buy a property in a HOA but when they're so common—and they seem to be based on the number of articles I read about them—many people have little choice. I can understand associations for upkeep, for décor in common areas in an apartment building or for governing how a shared area of land is maintained, as we have those in the UK, but when you have rules about what you can put in your garden or what colour you can paint your house then it starts to get a bit ridiculous, especially when the rules can vary wildly from one association to another.

That said I've seen quite a bit of hostility directed at them, so it's clear that not everybody agrees with how they operate.

#18 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,503 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:57

A lot of these HOA's do come across as Nazi-like.

#19 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:02

The association is bankrupt now.

Couldn't happen to a worse bunch of people.

#20 Rippleman

Rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,998 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:06

who cares.

you are one sick chick

#21 +hedleigh

hedleigh

Neowinian

• 519 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:14

who cares.

I'd say more people than the number who would care if you were.