Photo

C+ student seeks $1.3 million in lawsuit

pennsylvania lehigh university master’s degree counseling gay and lesbian causes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,120 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 23:12

A graduate of Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pa. has sued the school for $1.3 million because she is unhappy that she got a C+ in a class in 2009.

Megan Thode, 27, says the grade ruined her dream of becoming a licensed professional counselor, reports The Morning Call, an Allentown-based newspaper. Her civil suit alleges breach of contract and sexual discrimination. It contends that the grade was part of a broader attempt to force her to abandon the graduate degree she was pursuing.

Trial proceedings began Monday in Northampton County and could last the rest of this week.

Thode was in the last year of a master’s in counseling and human services in Lehigh’s College of Education. She needed a B in the course at issue — a fieldwork class — to qualify for another round of field work, which was required to obtain the degree.

Thode’s lawyer, Richard J. Orloski, maintains that she deserved a higher grade. However, her professor, Amanda Carr, awarded her a big, fat zero for classroom participation. That zero brought her grade down.

Orloski has also alleged that Carr and Nicholas Ladany (who was the director of the degree program) conspired against Thode because she and three other students were critical when they were had to search for supplemental internships midway through a semester.

The suit also charges that the course professor treated Thode unfairly because of Thode’s support for gay and lesbian causes — a claim Lehigh flatly disputes, according to The Morning Call.

Thode did graduate from Lehigh with a master’s degree, but not the one she aspired to have. According to Orloski, the $1.3 million Thode seeks in damages represents the money she’ll lose over the course of her career because she isn’t able to be a state-certified counselor. :rolleyes:

more

#2 ITOps

ITOps

Neowinian

• 77 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 23:28

More information would be needed for me to make a comment on this one:
Transcripts, attendance records, grades on all assignments completed along with requirements for each assignment and what was not done to get an A in the class.

#3 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 8,918 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 12 February 2013 - 23:35

Sour grapes.

#4 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,120 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 23:51

She sounds like a stuck-up snot to me, who deserves nothing more than a minimum wage cleaning job.

Yes -- this is just my opinion.

#5 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,647 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 12 February 2013 - 23:59

A graduate of Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pa. has sued the school for $1.3 million because she is unhappy that she got a C+ in a class in 2009.

Megan Thode, 27, says the grade ruined her dream of becoming a licensed professional counselor, reports The Morning Call, an Allentown-based newspaper. Her civil suit alleges breach of contract and sexual discrimination. It contends that the grade was part of a broader attempt to force her to abandon the graduate degree she was pursuing.

Yeah sure...

When I first started off in college I failed 2 classes because I was lazy, I should sue them for the extra tuition and loss of income I had to endure because of my laziness :rolleyes:

If she felt the teacher was discriminating against her, withdraw from it or complain to an advisor / head of the department? Or you know re-take the class before you graduated?

This is just like the stories you hear about parents who complain to the school because their spoiled kids got a C in class. So rather than get their kids tow ork harder, let's get the teacher fired.

#6 Original Poster

Original Poster

C++ n00b

• 2,921 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:24

I can see how professors are unfair... I quit my previous degree because I was unfairly treated and graded (I had a MSc take two papers one mine one someone elses both unnamed and they gave which one was better, what grades they deserved and what they needed to change) the uni then tried to sue me for leaving and I countered their suite with all this information... they backed off VERY quickly

#7 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:47

Megan Thode, 27, says the grade ruined her dream of becoming a licensed professional counselor, reports The Morning Call, an Allentown-based newspaper.

One grade does not end your dream. She did that herself for whatever reason that only she alone knows. This lawsuit is crap.

#8 syobon999

syobon999

Neowinian

• 373 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:07

'its never you own fault' culture will have a bitter end.

#9 AWilliams87

AWilliams87

Neowinian

• 807 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:18

One professor I had tried to failed because of he failed at his attempt to engage in a sexual relationship with a female student I was talking to regularly. Just thought I would add my story.

#10 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:56

One professor I had tried to failed because of he failed at his attempt to engage in a sexual relationship with a female student I was talking to regularly. Just thought I would add my story.

I've seen a few professors in my time fail the female student so she would put out to pull her grade up. It seems to work some of the time too.

#11 bdsams

bdsams

Neowinian Senior

• 11,561 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:02

Why sue now? This happened several years ago.

#12 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,354 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:09

Gee I failed some college students when I was a graduate TA. I should hire a lawyer now.

#13 AWilliams87

AWilliams87

Neowinian

• 807 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:09

I've seen a few professors in my time fail the female student so she would put out to pull her grade up. It seems to work some of the time too.

Yeah, same. That same professor of mines got into it with a different female student anyway. I guess that's why he stopped trying so hard to fail me; that and I was the best student in that class anyway.