• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#151 LegendaryRamzi

LegendaryRamzi

Neowinian

• 147 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone 7.8

Posted 13 May 2013 - 13:50

Then how can you justify your criticism of Opera? Why should everyone else have to carry the burden while you sit around on the sidelines and tell everyone else to "do the right thing"?

You read my posts with the wrong context in mind. I was not criticising Opera for changing their rendering engine. I was criticising Boz' idea that there should only be 1 standardized rendering engine to be used by all major browsers. That is the complete opposite. I want Opera to be free to use the rendering engine they prefer.

#152 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 20:05

one rendering engine = no competition
You need competition to make developers develop.
When the race is over, everybody stops running...

I think I agree with that. The idea of one rendering engine sounds good but in the real world innovation would stop and competition would cease.

#153 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,936 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 17:45

You read my posts with the wrong context in mind. I was not criticising Opera for changing their rendering engine. I was criticising Boz' idea that there should only be 1 standardized rendering engine to be used by all major browsers. That is the complete opposite. I want Opera to be free to use the rendering engine they prefer.

What's the issue then? Switching to Blink was a choice, they weren't coerced into doing it.

#154 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 18:23

When they said gradual they really meant it, didn't they?

#155 PreKe

PreKe

Neowinian Senior

• 2,432 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 18:07

I see. Sorry for the confusion.

#156 iwod

iwod

Neowinian

• 1,366 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:19

Why doesn't BPN auto lock threads that are older then x days?

Anyway, are there any Opera WebKit Build yet?

#157 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,350 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:28

Opera has made some decent innovations over the years, so freeing up developers to work on the client itself could be a good thing for browser competition. It's unfortunate that Opera never managed to gain a critical mass, as that meant web developers never took it seriously. On the few times I tried to run it as my default browser I repeatedly came across sites that didn't support it properly.