Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hitting

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyone with an email account has no doubt waded through spam, a.k.a. junk mail, in their inbox -- perhaps in the form of a

Posted

Never reply to the sender, either, because all you're doing is confirming your email address is valid, which invites more phishing attempts and spammed messages.

Funny. Despite the fact that I know my email address (well, my junk one) can be found all over online, I still class the above as "common sense." I also wouldn't have the patience to deal with someone I know is trying to scam me. I've done it once in real life, that was enough.

Posted

Expanding a little further on this, I've heard that if you try to "unsubscribe" from some spam emails, it simply confirms you're real and the problem will get worse. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Posted

Expanding a little further on this, I've heard that if you try to "unsubscribe" from some spam emails, it simply confirms you're real and the problem will get worse. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but I wouldn't be surprised.

The best is to flag the email as spam and let it die in the spam folder.

Posted

I once replied to a Nigerian scammer as a joke

he replied back addressing me with my real name

was not happy.

And then followed a flood of Nigerian scams emails

Posted

I heard many many years ago, do NOT reply. Replying just verifies that the email address exists, then you'll be spammed for sure.

Posted

Saw this video last night. For some reason I found it very entertaining to watch.

Posted

Funny. Despite the fact that I know my email address (well, my junk one) can be found all over online, I still class the above as "common sense."

I agree but sadly common sense is lacking in our day. Many people will click those links in a heartbeat, not thinking twice about it and then can't figure out what happened.

Posted

If it's from a reputable site that you signed up to then the unsubscribe feature works exactly as advertised, as I've unsubscribed from numerous emails and barely get any spam at all. Obviously you wouldn't do that if the email doesn't address you by name and it's from a company / website you don't recognise.

Posted

I agree but sadly common sense is lacking in our day. Many people will click those links in a heartbeat, not thinking twice about it and then can't figure out what happened.

^ I've concluded that most people on computers are simply bored.

Posted

Funny. Despite the fact that I know my email address (well, my junk one) can be found all over online, I still class the above as "common sense." I also wouldn't have the patience to deal with someone I know is trying to scam me. I've done it once in real life, that was enough.

^This

It is common sense among tech people, but the general public, not so much. Any time you click on a link or attempt to unsubscribe from such emails you're only confirming that the email address is indeed legitimate.

Posted

And expanding even more... never set an out of office auto reply on, either. It too, tells them it is an active email account.

Posted

I've used the same 2 email addresses for god only knows how many years, and I don't think I even get any spam in my inboxes at all,

maybe 2 or 3 a year make their way in to the spam folder, that's about it.

May have gotten a few more than that many years ago, but nothing excessive, that's for sure.

Not that it's a big deal, we all get spammed more in real life than online.

And it's easier to just click "Delete" than have to throw a crapload of junkmail from the post office in to the garbage.

Posted

I wish you could whitelist emails so all others would be auto bounced back to sender.

Posted

I wish you could whitelist emails so all others would be auto bounced back to sender.

You can tell WLM to bounce back blocked / junk emails