microsoft

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• 1,911 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 15:24

Google allows opting out via DNT, and using thier cookies, MS does not.
In fact it's pretty funny how MS keeps slating google yet in everything I see (minus compatibility) google seems better than MS does.

You forgot about MS wanting DNT as a standard setting in IE10 and the whole web went nuts. They went so far to claim they would just ignore the setting if it came from an IE browser.

#32 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• 10,167 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 14 February 2013 - 17:39

Problem is, when MS does it, it's "Fighting dirty" when Apple does it (I'm a Mac, I'm a PC) it's no big deal? :s

I thought the majority here were mad at Apple when they did those stupid Justin Long commercials... :huh:

It's like we're living in parallel forums.

#33 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,303 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 14 February 2013 - 17:42

Problem is, when MS does it, it's "Fighting dirty" when Apple does it (I'm a Mac, I'm a PC) it's no big deal? :s

What are you talking about? The Apple ads were hugely controversial. Both campaigns were sleazy.

#34 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

• 2,958 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 17:58

What are you talking about? The Apple ads were hugely controversial. Both campaigns were sleazy.

Sleazy? I'm a PC fan and I thought those Apple ads were actually very well done.

So... what are YOU talking about??? ;)

#35 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,922 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 18:01

Opponent trolling is a stupid and juvenile tactic. Even Apple moved away from it and it's not like they were ever afraid to launch juvenile attacks on competitors. This move smells of desperation to me.

#36 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,302 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 18:14

Maybe besides making childish comments like this, make posts that are actually stated as opinion and not fact. I was just pointing that out.

Like it says on that page he linked to, you don't have to state that something is your opinion. The very fact that you are the one who said it means it's your opinion.

If I say "Google sucks" it's obviously my opinion, I don't actually have to say "Google sucks in my opinion."

This is one of my pet gripes too. Someone said something like "You don't speak for everyone" after I posted an opinion the other day. I didn't say I did!!

:p

#37 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,302 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 18:20

No, just word your comments correct so it comes off as an opinion an not a fact. If you want to put something to indicate an opinion, then do so if you want. I normally put IMO but that is just me as I want to make sure there is no confusion on what I mean.

Are we really not intelligent enough to recognise an opinion unless somebody states it as such?

THE WALL IS RED. <- FACT. It is irrefutable (unless the wall is a different colour). There is no opinion here.
GOOGLE SUCKS. <- OPINION. There is no fact here. What people will think of Google will change from person to person. There is no one answer here.

Actually saying "in my opinion" is completely redundant when people should be able to recognise the difference between opinion and fact from a young age.

#38 OP +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,177 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 18:41

Are we really not intelligent enough to recognise an opinion unless somebody states it as such?

THE WALL IS RED. <- FACT. It is irrefutable (unless the wall is a different colour). There is no opinion here.
GOOGLE SUCKS. <- OPINION. There is no fact here. What people will think of Google will change from person to person. There is no one answer here.

Actually saying "in my opinion" is completely redundant when people should be able to recognise the difference between opinion and fact from a young age.

I am done discussing whether it was an opinion or fact. Others thought the same thing as I did but it was nice to include an insult questioning mine, and others, intelligence.

Have a good one.

#39 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,302 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 18:47

I am done discussing whether it was an opinion or fact. Others thought the same thing as I did but it was nice to include an insult questioning mine, and others, intelligence.

Have a good one.

It wasn't meant to be an insult, but I can see why it came across that way. My apologies.

#40 OP +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,177 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 18:50

It wasn't meant to be an insult, but I can see why it came across that way. My apologies.

No problem. Easy to misinterpret convos via text. Just want to get back to the topic is all. :)

#41 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,692 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 00:41

WTH that has anything to do with this topic??? Never said that those ads (I'm a PC, I'm a Mac) were OK; in fact they promoted the "reality distortion field" alot.
Slashing the competition to promote your own product is vile; it doesn't make your product look good by merit, even that your own product might be better.

One thing is for sure: the marketing department of Microsoft is getting crappier every year.

#42 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• 2,892 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:09

I guess this discussion won't end.

Thanks for the clarification, I thought I had posted someone else's opinion :)

So, for the opinion-Nazis of neowin, recommendations in the future, anytime I post opinion do I need to surround it in [opinion] tags, say "In my opinion", or anything else to make it more blatantly obvious that what I'm saying is opinion? Since apparently inference isn't a strong suit around here.

:rolleyes:

This is what I get for saying something bad about the almighty Google.

Semantics. Is your comment what I get for saying something bad against MS? I thought we were adults here...

#43 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:27

No, probably not any more.