Windows 7 machine can't connect to Windows 8 share

When I try and connect to a shared folder on my Windows 8 Pro machine from my Windows 7 Pro computer I get prompted for a user name and password. But the Win8 computer can connect to any shared folders on my Win7 machine without a password prompt.

The Network and Sharing Center settings for both machines are as follows:

Network discovery: On

File and printer sharing: On

Public folder sharing: On

Password protected sharing: Off

And this is the properties of the folder I'm sharing:

Capture1.jpg

What am I missing?

To connect to a Windows 8 machine, you'd need to use the Live account email and password for the login

Not true, if he does \\servername, it will prompt him for credentials and he can enter the local account username/password that he created on the server machine.

Not true, if he does \\servername, it will prompt him for credentials and he can enter the local account username/password that he created on the server machine.

What server machine ?

Most people will have only set up a Live login for their Win 8 machines not local

If I try to connect to my Win 8 shares on my laptop from my Win 7 PC, the way he is trying in OP, I enter my Win 8 live ID to log in

I haven't correct a local account, just using my Live account.

It's only really a media server so didn't bother with local accounts. Should I be using one?

Anyway, is there no way to remove being prompted?

Edit - Amazingly, after not changing a thing. I can now connect without ever once entering my Live account details. Odd!

Edit 2 - OK now after removing the Homegroup (as I don't want one) it doesn't work. The "TV Shows" folder was never included in the Homegroup library.

Why wouldn't you use the Homegroup? That is your auth method...

Because I like things to be simple, like just sharing a folder and any device can connect to it that is on my local network.

Just to add, my other half's laptop which is running Win 7 home premium is able to connect to the Win8 share without being a member of any Homegroup nor have I at any stage enter the Win8 Live account details to connect. It just works.

So why wouldn't my Win7 Pro machine connect without being in the same Homegroup?

Just to add, my other half's laptop which is running Win 7 home premium is able to connect to the Win8 share without being a member of any Homegroup nor have I at any stage enter the Win8 Live account details to connect. It just works.

So why wouldn't my Win7 Pro machine connect without being in the same Homegroup?

I never tried putting mine into a homegroup either, and I could only connect to my Win 8 machine by using Live ID credentials, no local account on the Win 8 machine either

Because I like things to be simple, like just sharing a folder and any device can connect to it that is on my local network.

Doesn't sound simpler, thats why they overhauled it for workgroups. ;)