Photo

How close can the Win 8 desktop act like the Win 7 desktop?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:34

Those start menu apps are going to have a hard time 1-2 years from now when the desktop changes even more. I doubt Windows 9 will have a desktop like 8 does.

I bet it will, MS would be insane to drop win32 support this early.

#17 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 14 February 2013 - 13:12

I bet it will, MS would be insane to drop win32 support this early.

Dropping win32 support and changing the desktop ui more are two different things.

#18 Rickkins

Rickkins

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy S3

Posted 14 February 2013 - 13:33

Classic Shell does all the things mentioned, very very well, and is free. One need never even see the metro nonsense.

#19 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 14 February 2013 - 13:40

Dropping win32 support and changing the desktop ui more are two different things.

It wouldn't make any sense for them to totally change the legacy desktop though. The big reason the classic desktop UI is still around is backwards compatibility for desktop apps, and these programs are all designed to work with the classic desktop. it makes no sense from a backwards compatibility standpoint for MS to completely change how the "legacy" desktop works.

#20 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 14 February 2013 - 16:32

It wouldn't make any sense for them to totally change the legacy desktop though. The big reason the classic desktop UI is still around is backwards compatibility for desktop apps, and these programs are all designed to work with the classic desktop. it makes no sense from a backwards compatibility standpoint for MS to completely change how the "legacy" desktop works.

From one angle what you say is right but from the other apps will still run and work as they do even if there are more changes to the desktop ui itself. Say they add a notification center later, I can then see them replacing many things you see in the systray, or the systray itself can be dropped. If so apps, legacy apps, still run, you don't need the systray to run or use them.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!