Photo

Is NVIDIA going to release new GPUS in 2013?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 February 2013 - 18:46

Where did you read that AMD isn't releasing new video cards this year?

http://videocardz.co...ifiation-leaked

http://www.tomshardw...8000,20979.html - delayed until Q4 2013.

The new high-end gpu 780TI will have 6gb which is closer to the 8gb that the xbox 720 has and possibly what the ps4 may have or it may have 4gb. So i guess there will be a lot of directx 11.x games released next year that require a power house desktop gpu to run them at high framerates.

#17 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 14 February 2013 - 18:53

This sucks because Haswell is due out this summer, and I don't feel like waiting any more than that. My GTX 560 Ti is behaving erratically and I was eager to replace it with a model two generations ahead. Guess I'll have to suck it up another 6 months or upgrade to something not that much better in the meantime. :(

#18 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 February 2013 - 18:59

This sucks because Haswell is due out this summer, and I don't feel like waiting any more than that. My GTX 560 Ti is behaving erratically and I was eager to replace it with a model two generations ahead. Guess I'll have to suck it up another 6 months or upgrade to something not that much better in the meantime. :(

It is AMD that is out in Q4 2013, nvidia's new cards are out within 2 weeks, most likely on 18th feb.

#19 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 14 February 2013 - 19:19

You could get a 7870 for $199 today.

That's true though I've never really went all out on gfx cards to date. This will be one of the few times I spend a bit more.

#20 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 14 February 2013 - 19:24

It is AMD that is out in Q4 2013, nvidia's new cards are out within 2 weeks, most likely on 18th feb.

I was just reading up on NVIDIA's Kepler refresh and it looks like the only card releasing before Q4 2013 is the GeForce GTX Titan. Also, the price is rumoured to be around $900 USD.

#21 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

Posted 14 February 2013 - 21:15

I was just reading up on NVIDIA's Kepler refresh and it looks like the only card releasing before Q4 2013 is the GeForce GTX Titan. Also, the price is rumoured to be around $900 USD.

If the rumors are true, that is one sweet piece of hardware. Too bad it just wouldn't be responsible for me to buy it. :broken:

#22 MillionVoltss

MillionVoltss

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 February 2013 - 21:34

Personally still happy with my 560ti, The Nvidia cards listed use a considerable amount more power though, of course speculation.

#23 ramesees

ramesees

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 February 2013 - 21:57

If the rumors are true, that is one sweet piece of hardware. Too bad it just wouldn't be responsible for me to buy it. :broken:

Sweet is the word.

From one report I was reading, a single GTX780 will have 85% the performance of 2 GTX690s in SLI :woot: :o

#24 +imachip

imachip

Neowinian

Posted 14 February 2013 - 22:05

Currently titles aren't being pushed by GFX anymore. Majority of games are indie followed by the (evil) console ports. Outside of that you have Battlefield 3 and that's about it (I'm quite happy playing Skyrim on my 470 with hi-res mod). All the current models at 1920x and below are just fine in all games.

We have to accept that there is little demand for faster hardware, and instead of getting the upgrade itch, be thankful that our cash can go to somewhere else :) ATI's 7950 Boast in the UK can be picked up for just over £200. That's just amazing value for such a well performing card. Nvidia isn't nearly as cheap, starting at around £300 for the standard 670 but a good card none the less.

I'm not sure how long it will be until they are quite clearly pushed by most titles. Maybe the new consoles will help, who knows but games haven't become any more realistic in the last few years. Far Cry 3 is pretty but it's not amazingly more than Skyrim was.

#25 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 22:30

Even if I had the money to spare for an expensive graphics card, I still wouldn't buy it. I'd rather put more money into a better CPU, motherboard, and accessories (keyboard, mouse, and headset). What I'm hoping for is better performance at a cheaper price.

What we'll see in Q4 2013 are merely refreshes of current NVIDIA and AMD video cards. The real heavy-hitters won't be out until 2015 (Maxwell for NVIDIA and Volcanic Islands for AMD). That doesn't mean you should wait until those cards are released though. The upcoming cards from both companies will be good enough for most people. And chances are we won't see any next-gen cards until the end of 2015.

#26 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

Posted 14 February 2013 - 22:44

Even if I had the money to spare for an expensive graphics card, I still wouldn't buy it. I'd rather put more money into a better CPU, motherboard, and accessories (keyboard, mouse, and headset). What I'm hoping for is better performance at a cheaper price.

What we'll see in Q4 2013 are merely refreshes of current NVIDIA and AMD video cards. The real heavy-hitters won't be out until 2015 (Maxwell for NVIDIA and Volcanic Islands for AMD). That doesn't mean you should wait until those cards are released though. The upcoming cards from both companies will be good enough for most people. And chances are we won't see any next-gen cards until the end of 2015.

I've seen sources usually quote 2014 as the release date for Volcanic Isles and Maxwell. I would assume expectations and requirements to raise quickly with the introduction of the next-gen consoles; the PC gaming landscape has been relatively uncontested tech-wise for the last couple of years, but this is about to end. As such I would be surprised to see no significant improvements in GPUs in 2014.

#27 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 22:45

I've seen sources usually quote 2014 as the release date for Volcanic Isles and Maxwell. I would assume expectations and requirements to raise quickly with the introduction of the next-gen consoles; the PC gaming landscape has been relatively uncontested tech-wise for the last couple of years, but this is about to end. As such I would be surprised to see no significant improvements in GPUs in 2014.

I meant 2014, not 2015. :wacko:

But you're right. After the next-gen consoles are released, we're going to see a jump in graphics quality with engines like Epic's Unreal Engine 4 and Square Enix's Luminous Engine.