Photo

Looking for a Cheap DD-WRT Modem / Router

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 14 February 2013 - 22:32

USB2 can go much faster than that, I managed to get full speed only from 600mhz devices mostly because samba is very CPU intensive.

I formatted my Samba drive to EXT4 to get those speeds, with FAT32 and NTFS is was 2-6MB/s tops

#17 OP +Byté

Byté

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 14 February 2013 - 22:58

That Buffalo looks decent, im going to look for reviews now.

#18 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 February 2013 - 16:35

I formatted my Samba drive to EXT4 to get those speeds, with FAT32 and NTFS is was 2-6MB/s tops

I think it's just dd-wrt not being much performant on those filesystems due to using the kernel driver rather than ntfs-3g and still coming with a pretty old kernel (2.4?). With that CPU it should go twice that speed, maybe if you install ntfs-3g or openwrt it'll have better performance.

That Buffalo looks decent, im going to look for reviews now.

You can't follow the reviews if you're going to use a third party firmware, the behavior could be entirely different with another firmware. That router works well only with OpenWRT, forget using DD-WRT on it, when the official dd-wrt build for that router was compiled the lantiq support was very lacking and the wireless driver used for the atheros wifi wasn't in much better shape. OpenWRT supports several different lantiq platforms and routers (DD-WRT instead supports only that model) so you're very likely to have a much better experience on it.

#19 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 15 February 2013 - 16:52

You can't follow the reviews if you're going to use a third party firmware, the behavior could be entirely different with another firmware. That router works well only with OpenWRT, forget using DD-WRT on it, when the official dd-wrt build for that router was compiled the lantiq support was very lacking and the wireless driver used for the atheros wifi wasn't in much better shape. OpenWRT supports several different lantiq platforms and routers (DD-WRT instead supports only that model) so you're very likely to have a much better experience on it.

buffalo routers come with dd-wrt on them, so he can indeed follow reviews

#20 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 February 2013 - 17:16

buffalo routers come with dd-wrt on them, so he can indeed follow reviews

Not all models do and the firmware is preinstalled only in some regions (USA only?), I still haven't seen one shipping with dd-wrt officially here. From the screenshots of the webui for that model it certainly doesn't come with dd-wrt nor the product page shows the dd-wrt logo for it.

#21 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 15 February 2013 - 17:25

Not all models do and the firmware is preinstalled only in some regions (USA only?)

ah, that explains that. I'm in the US and I'm pretty sure they all come with dd-wrt here. didn't realize it was different in other regions

#22 OP +Byté

Byté

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:37

Well maybe i got a good device? I put DD-WRT on it and the thing is working great so far, the only issues i heard of was the network ports on the device being abit flakey, but mine appear to be fine :)

Wireless is great, the signal now reaches a lot further than it did on stock firmware, most likely because i can increase the signal strength etc. For a cheap ADSL / Router, its not performing bad at all tbh.

I will update this thread if i get any problems though, i am not going to be biased because i paid for it.