Steam on Linux

official

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 17 February 2013 - 14:16

Installed ubuntu using the windows installer just for the penguin tf2 thingy. Which was pain in the ass to install Steam on it. Couldn't be installed from the software center deleo and steam's deb file so I had to bing for terminal commands to be able to install it. After that while steam was downloading tf2 I used the os for a bit, and it was pure hell. A LOT slower than my Windows 7 setup that is installed on the same machine to the point that it was pretty much unusable. Took a while for applications to launch and when they did, the usability and performance of them wasn't something to brag about.

I just gave up on it, waited for steam to finish downloading, launched the game to receive the penguin and immediately after booted back to Windows and uninstalled ubuntu and forgot about it. Took a few screenshots that I saved on my second hd of many errors that I received during the hell that ubuntu gave me... but now when I try to open the pngs on Windows it can't read the files or even delete them, so still got the bad taste of ubuntu left on my machine.

Wasn't worth the trouble for the penguin. But hey, at least the ubuntu guys gained another registered user (used my spam e-mail) to their software center thingy and vavle a couple more downloads of steam for linux.

Installing Linux in that rushed way is... just bad, I'm mainly a windows user but I tell you, Installing linux requires a bit more than a few commands on the bash terminal, you probably forgot to set up your GPU properly.

#17 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 February 2013 - 14:20

Installed ubuntu using the windows installer just for the penguin tf2 thingy. Which was pain in the ass to install Steam on it. Couldn't be installed from the software center deleo and steam's deb file so I had to bing for terminal commands to be able to install it. After that while steam was downloading tf2 I used the os for a bit, and it was pure hell. A LOT slower than my Windows 7 setup that is installed on the same machine to the point that it was pretty much unusable. Took a while for applications to launch and when they did, the usability and performance of them wasn't something to brag about.

I just gave up on it, waited for steam to finish downloading, launched the game to receive the penguin and immediately after booted back to Windows and uninstalled ubuntu and forgot about it. Took a few screenshots that I saved on my second hd of many errors that I received during the hell that ubuntu gave me... but now when I try to open the pngs on Windows it can't read the files or even delete them, so still got the bad taste of ubuntu left on my machine.

Wasn't worth the trouble for the penguin. But hey, at least the ubuntu guys gained another registered user (used my spam e-mail) to their software center thingy and vavle a couple more downloads of steam for linux.

Wubi? It's basically a piece of crap... it's always better to install Linux on it's own partition or a spare hard drive if you have one.

Or, just boot from USB.

#18 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 February 2013 - 17:39

1. Wubi isn't good test of performance. It installs ubuntu as a "file" inside your windows file system so it can be installed/uninstalled via windows.. IO performance will NOT be good. I wish they would just remove wubi or at least give a disclaimer, because wubi is not at all the same experience as an actual install.

2. Yeah, valve botched their steam ubuntu launch. generally installing things from the software center is really easy and you should never have to use the terminal. valve needs to sort out their steam installer, I wouldn't judge installing software in ubuntu based on steam. It should really still be in beta, it was way too early for valve to "release it" and tell people to try it on ubuntu on their store :p

3. Canonical doesn't send you emails. I've had an ubuntu account for ages and never gotten a single email from them.

#19 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 February 2013 - 18:45

for people running ubuntu 12.04.2 + the -lts-quantal backport packages (all fresh installs of 12.04.2 have them, its "opt in" for existing 12.04 installs) having trouble getting steam to install without trying to downgrade packages and such I found a workaround:

sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-quantal:i386

after doing this you can install steam right from USC with no errors. however since valve still hasn't update steam's incorrect package depencencies, once you launch steam it will always pop up a terminal asking you to install "libgl1-mesa-dri:i386, libgl1-mesa-glx:i386", which obviously fails due to dependency issues, and if you ran the command above you already have the quantal versions of these installed. but if you simply close this terminal prompt steam will open and work normally. The prompt should stop coming up whenever valve decides to finally fix their dependencies.

#20 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 17 February 2013 - 21:48

Like with the Mac earbuds, all that is required is to attempt starting TF2 for it to count towards the earbuds or Tux.

... which is what I ended up doing in the end after I gave up on the wubi installation. Threw Xubuntu into a VM, started TF2, had it fail, booted TF2 on Windows and found Tux waiting in my backpack.

#21 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 February 2013 - 22:07

Like with the Mac earbuds, all that is required is to attempt starting TF2 for it to count towards the earbuds or Tux.

... which is what I ended up doing in the end after I gave up on the wubi installation. Threw Xubuntu into a VM, started TF2, had it fail, booted TF2 on Windows and found Tux waiting in my backpack.

While searching for a solution to actually run Steam/TF2 on ubuntu, I read somewhere that all it takes is just to log in to steam on linux. But having done that, it didn't work. You actually had to start TF2.
Which luckily, I've managed to do. It ran like ****, but I got the penguin :D

#22 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:30

Why is the penguin in TF2 worth so much trouble to people who don't normally run Steam on Linux? It is definitely cool (I got it because I regularly play TF2 on Debian), but it seems like a lot of trouble just to get another item that doesn't really benefit you in-game (unless I'm missing something).

Hi everyone,

first I'm new here and I'm not english, so sometimes when I talk it can hurt you a little, sorry about this.

I'm using Debian Wheezy 64 bits and I was in trouble about libc6 in bad version for steam, and looking for a 'safe' way to upgrade the beta. Your unofficial one (for the beta) seems to works for some peoples so I wanna in mind to give a try.

But I've a problem with your last script which install a package made by yourself (on Dropbox), there is a 404 error on downloading step. I guess you've removed the file.

Can you make it available please, just for a while? I can host your package on my web servers to make another place to host it and give the link here (if you've a md5sum to give or something to proof I'm hosting YOUR file it's ok !).

Thanks for your work,

Cordially, Koshie

I believe you are referring to me. I posted instructions in one of the earlier Steam for Linux threads on Neowin about installing Steam on Debian Wheezy. The reason that you can't download the binary I posted is because I removed it from my Dropbox. You can still follow the compile from source instructions I posted earlier in the thread, but I don't recommend it. I am currently using this method because it is much cleaner than my original hack.