Meteorite impact in Urals

This video has the best audio, after the inital shockwave you can clearly hear the meteor disintegrating

The cameraman was quite far from the site as can been seen, or rather heard, by the delay the sound travels - it was pretty far and too damn strong nevertheless.

That sonic boom would of scared the poop out of me.

Some people might have had heart attacks, maybe even deadly for those with a weak heart. It will take a couple of days to know for sure.

Some people might have had heart attacks, maybe even deadly for those with a weak heart. It will take a couple of days to know for sure.

With CNN reporting 700+ injured in a RURAL area. I wonder what the toll would be in a densely populated area like LA or Hong Kong

The cameraman was quite far from the site as can been seen, or rather heard, by the delay the sound travels - it was pretty far and too damn strong nevertheless.

The sound was probably produced at about 30 miles above the surface which means it would take over two minutes for the sound to reach the surface. This is why there aren't any videos of the meteor falling and the sound, most people who filmed it falling stopped recording and new people got out their camera to film the trail left behind.

With CNN reporting 700+ injured in a RURAL area. I wonder what the toll would be in a densely populated area like LA or Hong Kong

yeah, the city of Chelyabinsk has 1 million people population. It would have been much worse had it crashed somewhere within the city.

Incredible sonic boom. Amazing how much faster light travels than sound.

yeah, it's about 800,000 times faster.

Russian estimates are a mass of about 10 tonnes and a velocity of over 33,000 mph. Other estimates average out at 39,000 mph.

Meteorite impact simulations run here for a nickel-iron meteorite (gives an overpressure with effects like we're seeing) estimate the main explosion was at about 80,000 feet and was about 430 kilotons TNT equivalent (0.43 megaton.) 430 kt = about 29x Hiroshima - damned lucky it was a high airburst and not close to ground or the metro Chelyabinsk area would be flattened. Most damage from multiple smaller fragments and the overpressure of the shockwave.

Over 1,000 injuries so far, many in the hospital, some critical

NASA sez this regarding its relationship to asteroid 2012 DA14 -

>

the trajectory of the Russian meteorite was significantly different than the trajectory of the asteroid 2012 DA14, making it a completely unrelated object. Information is still being collected about the Russian meteorite and analysis is preliminary at this point. In videos of the meteor, it is seen to pass from left to right in front of the rising sun, which means it was traveling from north to south. Asteroid DA14's trajectory is in the opposite direction, from south to north.

>

Zinc factory damage

ap388095780530__large.jpg

Fragment crater in nearby lake

_65912660_crater.jpg

no news about what kind material in the meteorite remains ?

That'll take time. They need to recover samples first, but since it fell into a lake, they might never recover it.

There were reports of "silvery" fragment falls after the airburst, so nickel-iron or stoney-iron (a mix of stoney and nickel-iron) are likely.

If this had been a bit larger, allowing it to burst at a lower altitude, it would have looked a lot like a thermonuclear weapon had hit the area, minus the fallout. Imagine that over any major city in the world. Frightening.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the asteroid that just skipped past earth and the Meteorite that hit Russia is a two separate hits. It would only make logical sense that this asteroid storming towards Earth hit some other space rock shi* and caused metorites it to crash towards Earth. Thats some crazy shi*.. It's just a matter of time before we get blasted and lights out for all of us. I know if I lived close by the hit site of this thing I'd be digging the shi* out of the are. That rock is worth a boat load of money.

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/earth-buzzing-asteroid-could-be-worth-big-bucks-195b-if-we-could-catch-it
[/CODE]

meteorite.jpg

Just read this on twitter:

-----

Bright fireball reported in skies over San Francisco Bay Area - @nbcbayarea, @abc7newsBayArea

There wete fireballs over ''Frisco in October and January too. Ground Zero for Lucifer's Hammer?

100,000 homes have been affected. The damage sustained consists mostly of broken windows and damaged roofs.

50 people are in hospitals, including 15 children.

The scientists say the power of the blast was equivalent to 300-500 kilotonnes of TNT making the event the most powerful one since Tunguska.

Let's hope there won't be another one for the next one hundred years. And when the next one comes, we'll be better prepared.

100,000 homes have been affected. The damage is mostly due to broken windows.

50 people are in hospitals, including 15 children.

The scientists say the power of the blast was equivalent to 300-500 kilotonnes of TNT making the event the most powerful one since Tunguska.

Let's hope there won't be another one for the next one hundreds years. And when the next one comes, we'll be better prepared.

Have to say we've been awfully lucky with no objects hitting densely populated areas so far...

I don't think it's a coincidence that the asteroid that just skipped past earth and the Meteorite that hit Russia is a two separate hits.

Not related apparently. They were travelling in different directions.