Meteorite impact in Urals

http://rt.com/news/meteorite-crash-urals-chelyabinsk-283/

Meteorite hits Russian Urals: Fireball explosion wreaks havoc, up to 1,200 injured (PHOTOS, VIDEO)

Russia?s Urals region has been rocked by a meteorite explosion in the stratosphere. The impact wave damaged several buildings, and blew out thousands of windows amid frigid winter weather. Hundreds have sought medical attention for minor injuries.

Eyewitness accounts of the meteorite phenomenon, handpicked by RT.

Around 1200 people have sought medical attention in Chelyabinsk alone because of the disaster, the region's governor Mikhail Yurevich told RIA Novosti. Over 110 of them have been hospitalized and two of them are in heavy condition. Among the injured there are 159 children, Emergency ministry reported. A 52-year-old woman who suffered spinal fracture will be transported to Moscow for treatment.

Army units found three meteorite debris impact sites, two of which are in an area near Chebarkul Lake, west of Chelyabinsk. The third site was found some 80 kilometers further to the northwest, near the town of Zlatoust. One of the fragments that struck near Chebarkul left a crater six meters in diameter.

Servicemembers from the tank brigade that found the crater have confirmed that background radiation levels at the site are normal.

Experts working at the site of the impact told Lifenews tabloid that the fragment is most likely solid, and consists of rock and iron.

A local fisherman told police he found a large hole in the lake?s ice, which could be a result of a meteorite impact. The site was immediately sealed off by police, a search team is now waiting for divers to arrive and explore the bottom of the lake.

Samples of water taken from the lake have not revealed any excessive radioactivity or foreign material.

>

Chelyabinsk administration?s website said nearly 3,000 buildings were damaged to varying extents by the meteor shower in the city, including 34 medical facilities and 361 schools and kindergartens. The total amount of window glass shattered amounts to 100,000 square meters, the site said, citing city administration head Sergey Davydov. The ministry also said that no local power stations or civil aircraft were damaged by the meteorite shower, and that ?all flights proceed according to schedule.?

Buildings were left without gas because facilities in the city had also been damaged, an Emergency Ministry spokesperson said, according to Russia 24 news channel.

The Emergency Ministry reported that 20,000 rescue workers are operating in the region. Three aircraft were deployed to survey the area and locate other possible impact locations.

>

Meteosat 10 (weather satellite) image of the entry

weather-sattelite-meteosat-10-928.jpg

Another view of lake crater

i35fd883df644dcb18fe15ad55a37518b_1.jpg

"According to unconfirmed reports, the meteorite was intercepted by an air defense unit at the Urzhumka settlement near Chelyabinsk. A missile salvo reportedly blew the meteorite into pieces at an altitude of 20 kilometers."

I want that job!

"According to unconfirmed reports, the meteorite was intercepted by an air defense unit at the Urzhumka settlement near Chelyabinsk. A missile salvo reportedly blew the meteorite into pieces at an altitude of 20 kilometers."

I want that job!

Nonsense. Did you even watch the videos? A missile salvo would have been visible.

Nonsense. Did you even watch the videos? A missile salvo would have been visible.

Look at the satellite image a few posts above. If no-one did nothing it would have wiped out half of the city so it's not really that crazy to think the Russians had some interruption.

Sorry, but FloatingFatMan is correct - a missile salvo would have left long, intersecting contrails of their own, and there are none. That was Russian military PR. Meteors like this usually do break up in the upper atmosphere due to aerodynamic and thermal shocks, so nothing special about this one doing it too.

Look at the satellite image a few posts above. If no-one did nothing it would have wiped out half of the city so it's not really that crazy to think the Russians had some interruption.

Russia is a fricking MASSIVE country, and most of it is completely empty. Odds of it actually HITTING a town or city are pretty tiny. I'm amazed it even went close enough to one to cause some damage... Also, believe the evidence of your own eyes in the many video's of it rather than a grainy still photo. A missile intercept would have been clearly visible. Also, at the approx 33,000mph the asteroid came in at, intercepting would be virtually impossible.

Not impossible, but difficult unless the missiles were launched from ahead of the incoming object, making its angular motion less of a problem. As with skeet, it's easier to hit something coming in head-on vs something crossing your field of view at 90?..

I said "virtually impossible" not "Impossible". :p

Also, I'm counting Russian technology as a factor, which increases the odds of it not happening by a looooooooooong way. ;)

I said "virtually impossible" not "Impossible". :p

Also, I'm counting Russian technology as a factor, which increases the odds of it not happening by a looooooooooong way. ;)

I guess they should start borrowing money asap then to advance their technology and to catch up with your trillion deficit.

They are barely one of the last countries who can keep their spending under control and that's more or less because they are not spending on complete bull they don't need, fight wars they don't have to etc.

They are barely one of the last countries who can keep their spending under control and that's more or less because they are not spending on complete bull they don't need, fight wars they don't have to etc.

Because, for example, TOPOL-M and Yars is clearly something they need. For aliens. Or meteorites like this.

TOPOL..We're talking about almost an 20 year old tech already...what does that have to do with anything at this point of time and spending?

TOPOL..We're talking about almost an 20 year old tech already...what does that have to do with anything at this point of time and spending?

It does. Yars missile has been deployed over the last three years, replacing TOPOL-M both in silos and some mobile launchers. Better MIRV and evasion capabilities, and I'm sure Doc knows more about it. Of course, development has probably gone for a decade, but it's the deployment and ongoing maintenance, approved by Putived, where the costs are visible the most.

Military has always been the top priority of our brotherly Republic. Spending has steadily grown over the last few years. It's a chore to keep all the USSR tech working in the first place, but new developments aren't ceasing, either. And I strongly believe it's also misreported. USSR spirit - namely misreporting, withholding and corruption - is still strong.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. In any way I wasn't planing on saying that Russia isn't spending money on military. They are and as far as I know they are doing a big time spending in the next few years to switch to new equipment, missiles etc. The only difference is that they can actually manage to do it with their own money and keeping the debt floating around 10%

In the start of last year it was clear that they do have enough military capabilities when 3 of their short range mobile launchers where just behind our borders waiting for orders, or as they called it, "Tactical training" my ***.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. In any way I wasn't planing on saying that Russia isn't spending money on military. They are and as far as I know they are doing a big time spending in the next few years to switch to new equipment, missiles etc. The only difference is that they can actually manage to do it with their own money and keeping the debt floating around 10%

Sorry, yes, I have.

Just woke up

Updated data

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1302/15meteor/#.USBJUL-9LTo

Streaking meteor unleashed biggest blast in a century

Editor's Note: NASA has revised their size and energy estimates for the Russia meteor upon review of further data. Scientists now believe the small asteroid was about 17 meters, or 55 feet, in diameter and had a mass of 10,000 tons. The revised estimate of energy unleashed by the meteor is about 500 kilotons, more than 30 times the blast yield of the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima.

A meteoric blast over Russia on Friday was the biggest in more than 100 years, according to scientists, releasing 500 kilotons of energy, shattering windows, and injuring more than 1,000 people.

The injuries were mostly cuts and bruises from broken glass, according to Russian state news reports.

The meteor appeared at 9:20 a.m. local time (0320 GMT; 10:20 p.m. EST) near Chelyabinsk in Russia's Ural Mountains.

NASA scientists told reporters Friday a 55-foot-wide asteroid streaked over Russia at 40,000 mph, briefly glowing as bright as the sun as it broke apart from intense heat and pressure and plowed deeper into the atmosphere.

"This is the largest recorded event since the Tunguska explosion in 1908," said Paul Chodas, research scientist in the Near-Earth Object program office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

>

Chodas called the Russian meteor a "tiny asteroid" and said it approached in a north-to-south direction, meaning there is no chance the object was related to the flyby of asteroid 2012 DA14, which harmlessly flew more than 17,000 miles from Earth later Friday.

>

my initial thoughts are this may not be the end of the impacts. you don't really think nasa nor the government would tell the public. id love to be a fly on the wall in their meetings.

Wonder if this is true: http://beforeitsnews...ll-2454428.html

Another fireball w/ explosion over Cuba? Maybe it's another coincidence.

im hearing it is true. id assume this is some type of debris field.

Amazing event but of course scary, very fortunate no one was immediately killed, and hope all the wounded recover. No funny business this 500KT yield...but they do occur on a regular basis, as we all know, we just don't notice much cause 90% of the planet doesn't have human inhabitants.

I heard they have dashcams for traffic accident purposes. the judicial system isn't the greatest I hear

Another board I'm on has members from the Russian space companies & agency and this came up - yup, many people have those little video spy-cams or digital cameras on dash mounts (using movie mode) to document accidents. Apparently the courts are a mess and the drivers worse ;)

Another board I'm on has members from the Russian space companies & agency and this came up - yup, many people have those little video spy-cams or digital cameras on dash mounts (using movie mode) to document accidents. Apparently the courts are a mess and the drivers worse ;)

from what ive read, people like to throw themselves in front of cars or at least attempt and then claimed they were injured. Same thing for drivers, they try to brake check people or cut them off so they can say they were rear-ended

my initial thoughts are this may not be the end of the impacts.

You are right. Earth is literally being bombarded by rocks from space 24/7 :)