Good Samaritan Returns Cash, Gets Rude Reaction

Kyle Osborn owns an auto detailing shop in Harrisonville, Missouri. On Feb. 6 he found an envelope containing $1,200 in cash on the ground outside of the Sutherlands Hardware Store. Osborn went in search of the money's owner, walking around the store to see if he could find anyone who had lost something.

He found a man who said he had lost the envelope of cash and gave the envelope to him. Osborn was surprised by what the man said: "I hope it's all there." Osborn said that "a simple 'thank you' would have been nice."

Osborn later posted the details of what happened on his Facebook page. His post got the attention of the guys at Sutherlands. They thought the way the man had responded to Osborn's gesture was so rude that they wanted to make things right. They put together a goody bag of Sutherlands swag and a $50 gift card to reward Osborn for his honesty.

Osborn hopes that people will learn from his experience, and he says, "Just because [somebody's got] a beard and tattoos and [they're] dirty doesn't mean they're bad people."

source

Osborn was surprised by what the man said: "I hope it's all there."

Because he'd take half, then go to all of the trouble to return the other half? :s

• Like 1

Perhaps the man said it in jokingly manner and Kyle didn't understand it?

I LOL'd.

Something tells me it was said in such a manner that it might intimidate Kyle. The man he returned the envelope to was probably intimidated himself by Kyle's look and chose to be an ass and try to intimidate him into possibly confessing he might have taken some of the money.

Regardless, what could he have possibly done if it wasn't "all there"? Idiot. He shouldn't have been so rude.

When I was in high school I was walking home and I found a purse with about $45 in it (enough for a couple of packs of smokes and some food). I thought about taking the money and chucking the purse in a drain, but because there was lots of credit cards/ID, a way to locate the owner, I knew it would be wrong to do that.

The address on the license was 5 mins walk from where I found it so I walked to the house, knocked on the door and asked if anyone had lost a purse. The woman said "Yes, I did". I said is your name X "Yes". I found this walking home. "Oh, great." *takes it, closes the door*.

At the time I thought "Bitch, not even a thank you, I should have kept it". Now I look back I am glad I did the right thing. You don't do the right thing because you hope for reward or praise, but because it is a part of who you are. You can't control how the person you helped will react, but you are responsible for how you deal with moral and ethical challenges.

Just thought that anecdote might interest someone.

• Like 2

Now I look back I am glad I did the right thing. You don't do the right thing because you hope for reward or praise, but because it is a part of who you are.

Extremely well said.

Now I look back I am glad I did the right thing. You don't do the right thing because you hope for reward or praise, but because it is a part of who you are.

Yea, I don't know if I can say the same thing about a guy who takes his story to Facebook to get sympathy though. I hope he turned down the gift basket from the hardware store.

Yea, I don't know if I can say the same thing about a guy who takes his story to Facebook to get sympathy though. I hope he turned down the gift basket from the hardware store.

If social media was around in my time (teen years) I very may have used to vent my frustration.