Weird iTunes Issue

Question

Hello Everybody,

I have the latest version of iTunes on my laptop. Since I got the new iTunes 11, I'm having a weird issue. My iTunes keeps trying to check my CD-ROM drive. While listening to music, I keep hearing my CD-ROM making a weird sound as if it was trying to check whether there is a CD in it or not. It happens once in every 10 minutes while iTunes is open. The problem goes away when I close iTunes. What can be the problem? Thanks a lot. I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate-64 Bit

11 answers to this question

I've had a quick Google, and it seems when you go on Preferences from the menu button on the top left (or Ctrl+,) and then onto the Advanced tab, make sure that the "Keep iTunes Media folder organised" is unchecked. This should hopefully fix it.

I've had a quick Google, and it seems when you go on Preferences from the menu button on the top left (or Ctrl+,) and then onto the Advanced tab, make sure that the "Keep iTunes Media folder organised" is unchecked. This should hopefully fix it.

It's already unchecked. I hear that sound whenever I start iTunes. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling it... It didn't solve the problem

It's already unchecked. I hear that sound whenever I start iTunes. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling it... It didn't solve the problem

Do you have Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed? Try uninstalling it if you do and see what difference that makes.

Do you have Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed? Try uninstalling it if you do and see what difference that makes.

I still keep hearing that sound when I open iTunes. It didn't fix it:( I'm wondering if iTunes is trying to scan my CD-ROM drive all the time... If it is, is there any way to preven that auto-scan?

I still keep hearing that sound when I open iTunes. It didn't fix it:( I'm wondering if iTunes is trying to scan my CD-ROM drive all the time... If it is, is there any way to preven that auto-scan?

I can't find anyone with a different solution to what I have posted, and that doesn't seem to work with everyone. If you haven't restarted after uninstalling the Intel Rapid Storage Technology, then do that, if you have and it hasn't fixed it then I don't know what else I can say. It only seems to affect laptops, but unless someone else on Neowin knows a way to fix this problem then you'll have to live with it :/

You could try disabling the drive in Device Manager when you're not using it, but that is honestly the only thing I can think of. That, or just use Winamp or another music program.

I can't find anyone with a different solution to what I have posted, and that doesn't seem to work with everyone. If you haven't restarted after uninstalling the Intel Rapid Storage Technology, then do that, if you have and it hasn't fixed it then I don't know what else I can say. It only seems to affect laptops, but unless someone else on Neowin knows a way to fix this problem then you'll have to live with it :/

You could try disabling the drive in Device Manager when you're not using it, but that is honestly the only thing I can think of. That, or just use Winamp or another music program.

Hey! Thanks a lot! I restarted my computer after deleting Intel Rapid Storage Technology and it worked! I don't hear that noise anymore. Do you have any idea why it does cause a bug like that?

Hey! Thanks a lot! I restarted my computer after deleting Intel Rapid Storage Technology and it worked! I don't hear that noise anymore. Do you have any idea why it does cause a bug like that?

I honestly have no idea, haha. Must just be conflicting with iTunes or something :/

Then it's a bug for iTunes! Apple needs to fix that bug! Is there anywhere to submit a bug like this?

Not that I'm aware of, but they'll just say that "You're using it wrong" or "It's a feature, not a bug."

EDIT: Ah, ninja'd with a better answer than my own :p