Shoplifting Suspect Dies In Crash During Chase

Adams started the chase when he fled.

No. The definition of "chase" is "to follow rapidly in order to catch or overtake; pursue". His actions led the police to chase him but he did not initiate the chase. By definition the police started the chase.

I am done arguing with bleeding hearts that are always on the side of the criminal.

Nobody here is on the side of the criminal, people are simply critical of the police tactics used attempting to apprehend him. The real issue here is that other people were put at risk?as evidenced by the other driver in the collision who had to be hospitalised?likely as a result of the police pursuit. All I'm saying is that the actions of the police should be investigated, which is completely reasonable given that somebody died and another was injured - it's likely that other people were also put at risk by the pursuit.

While I agree that a criminal who commits a petty crime does not deserve death for their crime, the circumstances that lead to their own death as a result of committing that crime are justified (eg: unintentionally die when they try to flee after committing said crime), which this happens, sure it's harsh but that's the reality, they should not have done that leading to their death, and it is just one less scumbag for the community to worry about or pay for in the legal system because they were doing things that they shouldn't.

My concern is not with the scumbag who was chased but with the safety of the public. It is far more of a public danger to have a Police persuit in circumstances that could endanger the public than it is a public danger for the alleged to be stealing cloths from Sears. Head-on collision was just lucky that it was the alleged thief who was killed, and not the other driver. The other driver is "recovering" but he might have lifelong medical problems because of the collision, if the Police would have not been so aggressive with the persuit to push him into dangerous driving, then the innocent member of the public wouldn't need to be "recovering". They would have had security footage of him and a fair chance to know where he is going to strike next (the same store again), old fashioned Police work wouldn't go too far astray or for the Police to worry about more serious crimes than stealing cloths from Sears.

Many departments would not have started the pursuit of a shoplifter, but as I said earlier maybe he had outstanding warrants. They all have radios and you cannot out run one.

I hope the role of the police in the crash is going to be investigated, as all too often such incidents are the result of aggressive pursuits. Police pursuits shouldn't increase the risk to other motorists and pedestrians. It's why most countries don't pursue suspects as aggressively as the US.

My Dad is a Policeman and you have to request permission to pursue someone now...

I hope the role of the police in the crash is going to be investigated, as all too often such incidents are the result of aggressive pursuits. Police pursuits shouldn't increase the risk to other motorists and pedestrians. It's why most countries don't pursue suspects as aggressively as the US.

The police have rules pertaining to a pursuit - they can't just slam their car into oncoming traffic to end it. Most of the time if a driver is driving like a maniac the pursuit will get called off.

I call it natural selection - you shouldn't have been driving in the wrong lane of traffic. I do not feel pity for someone like that, I feel pity for the driver that did nothing wrong and ended up in a head on collision.

All I'm saying is that every incident like this should be investigated to ensure that the general public was not put at undue risk and that the police officers acted appropriately. The police need to be held accountable for their actions. I'm not saying the police even did anything wrong, just that it should be investigated to ensure they did not.

There should never be a time where the officer putting their lives on the line are assumed guilty until proven innocent. If there are an absorbent amount of suspicious activity by a police officer sure - but just over any incident?

There should never be a time where the officer putting their lives on the line are assumed guilty until proven innocent.

No, but neither should they be presumed innocent. There should be an independent investigation to determine the actions of the officers involved without any preconceived notions. It's very dangerous to allow a culture whereby the police aren't held accountable and believe they are above the law, as evidenced by the horrific policing in the Dorner case.

No, but neither should they be presumed innocent. There should be an independent investigation to determine the actions of the officers involved without any preconceived notions. It's very dangerous to allow a culture whereby the police aren't held accountable and believe they are above the law, as evidenced by the horrific policing in the Dorner case.

I assure you, IA is always looking very closely at everything that goes on. Perhaps you have a future job there? :woot:

There is no doubt that some officers can go on a power trip, but there is always a higher up in command authorizing/calling off pursuits like this. I will never say that all officers are innocent, but to bundle them all together as "probably bad" is not right in my opinion.

I will never say that all officers are innocent, but to bundle them all together as "probably bad" is not right in my opinion.

I agree.

I guess the presumption of innocence doesn't exist anymore in north america.

It may in a court of law but public opinion ain't a court of law. People are very hardened these days and they assume everyone is guilty of something.

Crooks are presumed innocent until proved guilty by a Jury. The Police, who put their life on the line every time they go to work, should and are offered the same privilege.

Crooks are presumed innocent until proved guilty by a Jury. The Police, who put their life on the line every time they go to work, should and are offered the same privilege.

And if I was talking about a court of law then I'd agree?as the presumption of innocence is obvious fundamental to that?but I was talking about independent investigations to determine whether the conduct of police officers was appropriate. In those circumstances there should be three available outcomes?innocent, open, guilty?and there shouldn't be an assumption of guilt or innocence, as they should be established through evidence. Cases without a verdict should remain open; it's a system similar to that used by coroners. That way officers with unusually high "open" rates can be more carefully monitored.

It may in a court of law but public opinion ain't a court of law. People are very hardened these days and they assume everyone is guilty of something.

I'm sure you are. :shifty: