Meteor explosion - Cuba

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 19,096 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:14

It'll be interesting to see if its track parallels the Urals event.

http://news.xinhuane...c_132171646.htm

Suspected meteor explosion reported in central Cuba

2013-02-16 12:59:27

HAVANA, Feb. 15 (Xinhua) -- An object fell from the sky over central Cuba on Thursday night and turned into a fireball "bigger than the sun" before it exploded, a Cuban TV channel reported Friday, citing eyewitnesses.

Some residents in the central province of Cienfuegos were quoted as saying that at around 8 p.m. local time Thursday (0100 GMT Friday) they saw a bright spot in the sky comparable to a bus in size.

The object then turned into a fireball "bigger than the sun," said the witnesses, adding that several minutes later they heard a loud explosion.

One resident told the TV station that his house shook slightly in the blast.

Cuban experts have been dispatched to the area to look for possible remains of the meteor-like object, said the report.

It remains unknown whether the reported phenomenon in Cuba is related to Friday's meteor strike in central Russia, which set off a shockwave that shattered windows and left some 1,000 people injured.

#2 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,547 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6+, iOS 8.1

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:30

Interesting. Looks like armageddon is finally comin. Bout bloody time!

#3 XerXis

XerXis

Neowinian Senior

• 5,096 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:33

The size of a bus? I have a hard time believing that one.

#4 AsherGZ

AsherGZ

【=◈︿◈=】

• 1,853 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 820, 520

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:34

Nah a little meteor shower is hardly armegeddon. Been happening for centuries.

#5 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 19,096 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:41

The size of a bus? I have a hard time believing that one.

Why? They come in all sizes up to the size of Mt. Everest, which KO'ed the dinosaurs. The size of a bus is still middling when it comes to meteors.

#6 XerXis

XerXis

Neowinian Senior

• 5,096 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:46

Why? They come in all sizes up to the size of Mt. Everest, which KO'ed the dinosaurs. The size of a bus is still middling when it comes to meteors.

Of course, but the one in Russia was about the size of a car. And if it was the size of Mt Everest we sure as hell would have noticed it. ;) In fact the one that went past us (DA14) is "only" 45 meters in diameter and that one was clearly visible and it's trajectory known long before it got near us. So it would surprise me that an object the size of a bus (more or less 14 to 20 meters?) could enter our atmosphere unnoticed.

#7 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 19,096 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:21

That DA14 was noticed was unusual. We know only a few of the near Earth asteroids, and even fewer of the ones bus sized (which is within the payload bay size of many launchers) and smaller.

#8 Som

Som

Neowinian

• 821 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:23

Interesting. Looks like armageddon is finally comin. Bout bloody time!

ya i'm tired of having to work n' stuff ...

#9 XerXis

XerXis

Neowinian Senior

• 5,096 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:29

That DA14 was noticed was unusual. We know only a few of the near Earth asteroids, and even fewer of the ones bus sized (which is within the payload bay size of many launchers) and smaller.

Ow ok, I know you are very knowledgeable about everything space related so I stand corrected. I still think it's strange though that NASA, which tracks all space debris out of fear of it hitting the ISS, wouldn't know about bus sized asteroids hitting us. Is it because of their speed and trajectory?

#10 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 19,096 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:53

Yup. At 33,000 mph it covers the distance to the moon in just 8 hours.

You could count the number of telescopes looking for them on one hand & fit the people running all of them into a single McDonalds, and they aren't distributed evenly across Earth's surface. Most are in the US, Europe or Western Russia, so we have big blind spots. Even then, most of those scopes are small, and many meteors and asteroids are nearly black & not very reflective. Many are black as coal (carbonaceous chondrites.)

Then there are the space radars dedicated to tracking missiles, satellites and space junk, but their range and resolution is limited.

Bottom line: our capabilities are very limited.

#11 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:58

I would think that if this did happen it would have been seen from southern Florida.

#12 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 19,096 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:02

Not for long :)

I'm sure the radars we have monitoring the Gulf, Caribbean & Cuban airspace saw it.

#13 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

• 1,865 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:10

Am I also right in thinking that there's no reliable way to spot incoming objects if they're coming from the direction of the sun?

I thought I read that somewhere in one of the various news reports but I can't find it now.

#14 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:12

Am I also right in thinking that there's no reliable way to spot incoming objects if they're coming from the direction of the sun?

I thought I read that somewhere in one of the various news reports but I can't find it now.

The one in Russia was very visible.

#15 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 19,096 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:47

Space radars can in principle see the larger ones from most directions, but for the most part they only track known satellites & space junk and look for missile launches.