Strange Internet Issue

A friend commented on how i frequently visit their blog. This is where i'm confused. i don't actually look at it. That friend has visited it from my home, always on their phone but using my Wi-Fi.

Also, a website i own has logged my IP address of late visiting it, looking at topics and posts that vary in age at different times too. Things i no longer read as i've read them??

Occasionally this happens from OSX, Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 or Windows 8 PC's when i only have a Windows 8 Desktop setup at the moment!!

Since this issue appeared; I have switched ISP to Sky, my IP shows me as being in London when im in Manchester and my internet speed has dropped too. Wondering if the two things could be related?

I have reset my Router several times yet my supposedly dynamic IP address refuses to change too. It's been the same for over two weeks.

I also have TeamViewer installed but despite changing the details for that remote software, the issue is still occuring.

Oh and this occurs at times when im in or out of the house. I live alone.

IF someone had access to my Wifi could they see my routers web history? and why would they want to visit such random stuff lol

plus neighbours on both side, they just don't seem the sort. probably sounds silly lol - my house is within red lines - point is, it's not a busy street :/

post-119364-0-71875200-1361026541.png

What is changing your wan IP going to do? But to do so, just change the mac of your router wan IP. Most routers support a clone option that will allow you to use a different mac on its wan. This will look like different device to your ISP and then would get a different dhcp lease.

If your saying your site is logging your public IP with different useragent strings for the OS, I would have to guess your wireless is open as well. What are you using for security on your wireless?

"but using my Wi-Fi."

Well then that would explain traffic to his site from your IP now wouldn't it

• Like 1

im going to try to resolve it using your advice, thank you - and as for friends blog, apparently it shows an actual computer as well as their android device as visiting from my I.P. Im going to change my WI-FI key, try and change router mac address and see if that helps. THANK YOU

"why would they want to visit such random stuff"

Why do you visit random stuff - how do you know they are just not randomly surfing.. If your seeing in the log different user-agent strings, then I would have to guess its just random people using your wifi.

You have not stated how you secure it - or even if you do?

"wep key"

So NOTHING then -- you do understand that wep as been of no use for years now.. Anyone that can search google can hack wep in like 30 seconds or less.

Change your security to WPA or WPA2 with a SECURE psk, like 20 random.. And then see if your still seeing weird traffic.

wep was shown to hackable back in like 2001, in 2005 you could do it in like 3 minutes. In 2007 a junk box could do the math in 3 seconds, and with attacks like arp reinjection and deauth its possible to get the IVs you need in seconds vs having to wait for them.

So if you used a SECURE psk, You should prob be good - prob going to **** off the person that was using your wifi as their hotspot ;)

Does your router support logging dhcp, you could of looked at that to see if people had been on your wifi using your dhcp server.

WPA2 defaults to AES so its kind of redundant stating it that way - but yeah I agree if your hardware supports it WPA2 would be the better choice.

Oh wow more info :) thanks guys and i'll gladly **** off whoever is stealing my internet!!! it would explain the drop in speed too actually thinking about it lol - ok i'm going to take all your advice :)

Oh wow more info :) thanks guys and i'll gladly **** off whoever is stealing my internet!!! it would explain the drop in speed too actually thinking about it lol - ok i'm going to take all your advice :)

If your router has it, disable WPS too, I'm no hacker but even I can work out how to crack WPS with minimal effort