How to Increase Search Engine Ranking?

For the purpose of this post, we will be referring to my company's website at www.minerallabs.com .

So I recently started working for a company as a lab tech, but my history has always been in technology. When my employers discovered this they agreed to pay me overtime to work on the company website. They already have a website that they're happy with for the most part, and have asked me not to focus on changing the website so much, but they want to increase our relevance on search engines, primarily Google. I've read through Google's documentation about keywords, and sent them this information, including tips on how to purchase ad space on both Google and the Bing/Yahoo! network, and I've even suggested they speak with partner companies about placing a link to our site on their sites, so we appear more relevant to search engines when they index those other sites, but I have a few things I'm wondering about, for those of you more experienced in this than myself.

- I've added a few keywords, but even before that, the keywords on the index.html page of the website had a large list of relevant keywords. However, I almost have to search explicitly for the name of the company to get them to be on page 1 of the search results. If I sign out of Google (to prevent results being tailored to me) and search for "coal quality analysis in eastern kentucky", we're not even on the first "3" pages, but a bunch of PDF documents and things are.

- How often, roughly, does Google re-index pages, and how long does it take for any changes to be reflected in their search results?

I've added the site to my "Google Webmaster Tools" so I can track all of that relevant data, and have requested the site be re-indexed, but I'm not really sure how long I should wait before making more changes to the keywords and the site organization, or recommending they pay for ad space.

0) Get your site linked as much as possible on other sites which already rank well, but ideally other sites which are relevant to what you do. Remember a lot of sites will allow links but add "nofollow" to the url so that search engines don't give you as much ranking juice.

1) Don't use thousands of keywords and DO use the most relevant ones.

2) Most search engines ignore keywords these days

3) Try your best to integrate your keywords into your copy, but only in a way that makes sense

4) Don't fill your page with keywords in a block, you might get blacklisted

5) Update regularly with relevant information

6) Make it interesting (or as interesting as possible for what it is)

7) Wait. Gaining rankings takes time.

• Like 3

The problem with today's search engines, and specifically Google, is that they all favor informational sites more than commercial ones (except the site is really big like Amazon). Even for commercial queries the search results are almost always dominated by Wikipedia or other highly content-rich sites. Google just loves content. So, if you are a small B2B firm don't expect much from organic search results, especially if you are in a competitive niche.

You can try to create a lot of [great or not so great] content but if you are a business (and especially B2B) you will have a hard time competing against blogs or "pedias" for the SERP real estate. This is because Google favors informational sites more than business ones (businesses are invited to purchase ads on Adwords).

My two cents.

0) Get your site linked as much as possible on other sites which already rank well, but ideally other sites which are relevant to what you do. Remember a lot of sites will allow links but add "nofollow" to the url so that search engines don't give you as much ranking juice.

1) Don't use thousands of keywords and DO use the most relevant ones.

2) Most search engines ignore keywords these days

3) Try your best to integrate your keywords into your copy, but only in a way that makes sense

4) Don't fill your page with keywords in a block, you might get blacklisted

5) Update regularly with relevant information

6) Make it interesting (or as interesting as possible for what it is)

7) Wait. Gaining rankings takes time.

This

For the purpose of this post, we will be referring to my company's website at www.minerallabs.com .

So I recently started working for a company as a lab tech, but my history has always been in technology. When my employers discovered this they agreed to pay me overtime to work on the company website. They already have a website that they're happy with for the most part, and have asked me not to focus on changing the website so much, but they want to increase our relevance on search engines, primarily Google. I've read through Google's documentation about keywords, and sent them this information, including tips on how to purchase ad space on both Google and the Bing/Yahoo! network, and I've even suggested they speak with partner companies about placing a link to our site on their sites, so we appear more relevant to search engines when they index those other sites, but I have a few things I'm wondering about, for those of you more experienced in this than myself.

- I've added a few keywords, but even before that, the keywords on the index.html page of the website had a large list of relevant keywords. However, I almost have to search explicitly for the name of the company to get them to be on page 1 of the search results. If I sign out of Google (to prevent results being tailored to me) and search for "coal quality analysis in eastern kentucky", we're not even on the first "3" pages, but a bunch of PDF documents and things are.

- How often, roughly, does Google re-index pages, and how long does it take for any changes to be reflected in their search results?

I've added the site to my "Google Webmaster Tools" so I can track all of that relevant data, and have requested the site be re-indexed, but I'm not really sure how long I should wait before making more changes to the keywords and the site organization, or recommending they pay for ad space.

One thingI have been told... is make sure your company has an actual Ad in the Yellow Pages / YP.com and that it also lists your website. (The reason I have been told is that Google indexes YP on a weekly basis) . This I have been told is the one missed step into getting inserted a little bit higher into the search.

Some have also suggested the creation of a Wiki about the History of your company. (you know a basic image of your building/ when it was founded and what you do). (Not only on just Wikipedia) but a page that says Wiki on your main company site.

Some have suggested that Google indexes anything with the heading of wiki in addition to the main page and Someone suggested that bots follow links on Wikipedia. Which also gets your company additional mentions as well as some searchable material.

And even if the latter does not grant that much more traffic - It would be something to boost morale in a company as well as potential clients and future workers to gain more information about your company.

I know that when I get a job with a company I search and wiki is almost an assured hit plus it is one more thing that out there with your Company name on it.

Example- (which also references your main site)

http://en.wikipedia..../Johns_Manville

I agree that a page on Wikipedia can help a lot. But you should be careful and keep the tone of that page neutral and factual. Just enumerate/list the features of your product/service, important facts and dates. Refrain from salesy language and superlatives.

agreed with hauberk. Yeah not only that on wikipedia we can search information but information with references also..

If one day search results become truly relevant, there will be no need for Adwords and Google will go bankrupt. :)

That's a joke , of course, but it illustrates the fact that today's search engines are far from being ideal.

ideal, no. IMO, they are pretty good provided you know what you are looking for very specifically. But if you are trying to find out how to fix a noisy fan with the search term of "der" or something that has about as much relevance as that (perhaps "fix a broken computer"), there is going to be about as much a relevant hit as searching for your shoes with your eyes closed.

Now with the ability to have geo-position recognition and the ability to search for things near you, more relevant searches will be provided based on your location.

ideal, no. IMO, they are pretty good provided you know what you are looking for very specifically. But if you are trying to find out how to fix a noisy fan with the search term of "der" or something that has about as much relevance as that (perhaps "fix a broken computer"), there is going to be about as much a relevant hit as searching for your shoes with your eyes closed.

Now with the ability to have geo-position recognition and the ability to search for things near you, more relevant searches will be provided based on your location.

The general problem that will probably never be overcome by silicon-powered computers is guessing the searcher's intent. :) Google does a good job today by analyzing zillion factors including your personal search history. For example, if you are an Apple fan and search for 'apple' it's more likely that Google will show you more results related to the company rather than the fruit.

But it's still only trying to find correlation, not the actual intent. :) So I'm impatiently waiting for bio-computers, or, more generally, technology that can communicate with human brain directly, without proxies like keyboard and monitor.

If only they could do that with men and women to....so when you say get that thing over there, to your SO/spouse/whatever, they will know what you are talking about.