Windows 8 x64 on old PC

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 18 February 2013 - 20:43

I think you're overplaying it a bit. 64 bit applications do consume a little more memory than 32 bit apps but it's certainly not double.

I never said that. The memory for the instructions is double.
A 64-bit word is double that of 32-bit and whether or not you're using all the bits, that memory space is still allocated.

I tried x64 Win 7 on an early Core 2 Duo with 1GB of RAM, and the performance was pretty bad. x86 was better since more memory was freed.

#17 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 March 2013 - 14:05

A 64-bit word is double that of 32-bit and whether or not you're using all the bits, that memory space is still allocated.

I tried x64 Win 7 on an early Core 2 Duo with 1GB of RAM, and the performance was pretty bad. x86 was better since more memory was freed.

However, the memory USAGE of the application itself is not double - and what was the hardware in question? (One thing that has to be taken into account is badly-written or piggy drivers - while not as large an issue as it used to be, it's still an issue, especially for lower-tier hardware and peripherals.) Given identical loadouts, what's the memory usage comparison between Firefox, PaleMoon x64, and Waterfox? One reason I prefer IntelliPoint Pro (and now the Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse Center driver for Windows 8) to SetPoint for my Logitech V220 is due to SetPoint's piggishness - a porky driver that is less usable compared to an alternative gets replaced by that alternative without a quibble. Love the V220 as a wireless mouse physically, but I loathe the porkiness of SetPoint.

#18 nhjay

nhjay

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia Icon (929)

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:22

I've run Win 8 on older hardware, as long as the CPU supports it, needing NX bit as I recall, I see no reason to not install it. If you're running under 4GB RAM then I'd personally install the 32bit version but that has alwasy been a personal preference to ensure I'm able to take full advantage of all my system RAM. I've personallay seen a big performance improvement with Windows 8 on older hardware that was previously running XP.

#19 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:31

I don't see why it would be a problem. Windows 7 64bit runs awesome on low powered systems, even with aero enabled,
and supposably Windows 8 requires the same specs or lower.
Should work even better than XP anyways, as long as the hardware is compatible.
I'm even thinking of picking up some old piece o junk pc just to try Win 8 on. Wouldn't want to install it on a good computer.

#20 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:08

Pointers and such will be double the length, but that's basically it, the actual stuff stored in memory will be about the same.

Edit: And when using 64bit, SSE/2 support is guaranteed, unlike 32bit mode.

#21 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:48

If you love your old PC, treat it with great care, and put an OS on it, instead ;)

#22 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:22

You're right, that does sound bad.
Was it working well with Windows 7 32bit? I'd leave that on it and enjoy. (Y)