Photo

How to make Android look sexy on a black handset!

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 Stetson

Stetson

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:31

You didn't understand my analogy at all. Both fires still use wood while burning. Only the fire that burns brighter, needs more of it.
So if a display needs to make a part of it brighter, it will use more battery power than it uses while the display has less bright colors to display.

The problem with your analogy is that there are two fires, one per pixel. An LCD does use a tiny bit of power per pixel, but most of the power is used by the backlight. In a phone LCD there is almost always a single backlight unit for the whole display. There is not a separate light per pixel.

You can't 'brighten' one pixel and 'darken' another by sending more or less power to the backlight.

You can only let the light through, or block the light. That's how LCDs with backlights work. Displaying a black pixel doesn't use less power because the backlight is still on. This is why an LCD monitor that is 'on' but displaying a black screen looks different to one that is truly turned off.

If an LCD has a backlight that at full brighness uses one watt of power, that backlight will continue to use one watt of power whether or not you are letting all of that light through to your eyes (white screen) or blocking out some of that light before it gets to your eyes (black pixels).

The only way to significantly reduce the power output of a backlit phone LCD is to dim the entire backlight by turning down your phone's brightness setting or having it auto-dim.

Edit: I made a diagram, maybe this will help:

Posted Image

Turning the pixels on or off has no effect on how much power the backlight uses.

#32 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 18 February 2013 - 15:18

If you have a good AMOLED screen (super amoled or clear black) it's pretty hard to see where the screen ends and the bezel begins if you're looking at it head on.

You haven't seen too many smartphones as well then; LCD, SLCD, AMOLED.....Anyone who has seen can tell. More so the bottom dock gives it away....

#33 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 18 February 2013 - 15:23

Nothing new for me. I always have a dark background image on my cell phone.

#34 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

Posted 18 February 2013 - 15:52

Quickest and easiest way to get your black wallpaper:

1. Open your camera app
2. Take a photo with your finger covering the lens fully
3. Set as wallpaper

#35 Don't Feed the Wolfie

Don't Feed the Wolfie

Don't sugarcoat it because you'll probably eat that too

• Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 16:48

Quickest and easiest way to get your black wallpaper:

1. Open your camera app
2. Take a photo with your penis covering the lens fully
3. Set as wallpaper

#36 artnada

artnada

Merrrr

• Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:10

With wallpaper - without. Which one's best?

Attached Images

• 2013-02-24 07.07.45.png
  • 2013-02-23 16.00.30.png

#37 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 24 February 2013 - 15:14

^ Without wallpaper - your icon scheme is designed for a black (dark) wallpapers...

#38 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 29 March 2013 - 22:03

Last night I was looking on the Google Play store and found a theme called

Black Infinitum Inverted
https://play.google....nfinitum2&hl=en

Posted Image
Posted Image

It's a white on black theme for android. It looks really nice.

#39 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 31 March 2013 - 14:58

While I understand "sexy" is subjective, however, black/white, i.e. lack of colors is not going to be sexy.

I suggest http://mycolorscreen.com/ for sexy home screen inspirations.

#40 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 31 March 2013 - 15:23

Remove the Samsung logo.

#41 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 31 March 2013 - 15:29

While I understand "sexy" is subjective, however, black/white, i.e. lack of colors is not going to be sexy.

I suggest http://mycolorscreen.com/ for sexy home screen inspirations.

No actually the Infinitum themes are secy, not with a black background on the home screen though, but a nice neutral wood panel background makes it great, combined with a simple mono color icon set.

#42 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 31 March 2013 - 21:32

hmm, may have to give AOKP a try again.

#43 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 March 2013 - 21:38

ugh, I can't wait until Sony releases 4.1 for my Xperia S. the whole AOKP/CM crap is getting on my nerves. Granted this may vary on phone manufacturer since Sony is pretty much the only one actually doing a proper job optimizing Android for their hardware. but I miss having a phone that has properly working media players with "send to" function that can send to any DLNA tv and other such neat working functions that don't seem to work on any of the third party players, that's when you don't get a player that also includes pop up ads spam with a different icon in the notification tray.

#44 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 01 April 2013 - 14:33

ugh, I can't wait until Sony releases 4.1 for my Xperia S. the whole AOKP/CM crap is getting on my nerves. Granted this may vary on phone manufacturer since Sony is pretty much the only one actually doing a proper job optimizing Android for their hardware. but I miss having a phone that has properly working media players with "send to" function that can send to any DLNA tv and other such neat working functions that don't seem to work on any of the third party players, that's when you don't get a player that also includes pop up ads spam with a different icon in the notification tray.

Xperia S? And Jelly Bean?

Good luck waiting buddy. You know the good thing is that update will eventually be here.

#45 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 April 2013 - 14:55

May actually.

I've been wanting to just install the official rom though, as Sony does such a good job on the software their old software ran just as smooth as CM JB. Except with all the neat functions they pack into it.