PlayStation 4 nearly confirmed to be using Gaikai, used gaming being phased

102051451fe8953f794a6fe068f6ba51.jpg

According to a report from VG24/7 yesterday, the Gaikai service, which was acquired by Sony last year, will apparently be used to stream current PlayStation 3 titles that are being released for the first time.

The PlayStation 4 will not only be using the cloud-gaming service, but it will still maintain its roots with allowing most games to be run via a physical copy.

All of this is supposed to be unveiled at the PlayStation event this coming week along with a more advance for the PlayStation Mov camera and a new touch-pad screen.

There are no guesses right now as to how much this service will be costing gamers, but it's another step away from the used gaming side of business.

We previously documented what Gaikai is looking to do heading into whatever function it serves next.

Gaikai will incorporate a streaming service to gaming platforms that is time sensitive, but still at the same time, maintains high quality graphics and gaming content.

"Games are uploaded to our datacenters located broadly around the world. They are then streamed using high-end servers to internet-connected devices, similar to the way videos are streamed to your computer, except interactively.

"Our technology is such that we can stream the world's most graphically rich video games and other content instantly to almost any device, anywhere," Gaikai said.

Sony's acquisition, which occurred during July of this year, was driven by the reputation that Gaikai has built up and the inevitable shift gaming will eventually make toward cloud gaming.

"Gaikai has developed the highest quality, fastest interactive cloud-streaming platform in the world?a platform capable of delivering games and other interactive content instantly to consumers via the Internet.

source: examiner

I just hope Sony have a good way of playing older games you already own on PS3 (if this is to be implemented, which I'm assuming it will). I've always thought a good idea would be if you put the disc in, the PS4 recognises it and then allows it to be streamed through Gaikai.

I just hope Sony have a good way of playing older games you already own on PS3 (if this is to be implemented, which I'm assuming it will). I've always thought a good idea would be if you put the disc in, the PS4 recognises it and then allows it to be streamed through Gaikai.

Yep, SCE doesn't want to deal with BC through hardware. You'll have to rebuy your old games online; It's working for the Vita.

Yeah, that would be a great idea. I wish they would do something like that.

x86 hardware won't be able to emulate cell games

each game will have be ported either through retail or online (online being a likely scenario to sell mass quanitites at a reasonable price)

x86 hardware won't be able to emulate cell games

each game will have be ported either through retail or online (online being a likely scenario to sell mass quanitites at a reasonable price)

Yes, hence why it would be streamed. We already know that the PS4 won't play PS3 games (unless they conjure up something mad) but any hardware can stream any title, regardless of platform.

I hope they have a good solution for games we already own as well, however talking to someone about it, they made a good point about just putting a PS3 game disk in. What is stopping people of putting their friends games or rented games to add to their "library?" I honestly do not know the answer, but do see it as being an interesting point.

I hope they have a good solution for games we already own as well, however talking to someone about it, they made a good point about just putting a PS3 game disk in. What is stopping people of putting their friends games or rented games to add to their "library?" I honestly do not know the answer, but do see it as being an interesting point.

The disc would need to be in for you to play it. So it would be impossible to share.

The disc would need to be in for you to play it. So it would be impossible to share.

Not impossible to share, but impossible to have extra copies running around, sharing with a friend, that friend now can't use it till you give it back, just like any other physical copy.

Only run the game when disk is in the drive (they already do it with PS3/Xbox360 for installed games).

The only conclusion to this is for each consumer to buy their own copy

sharing is considered bad for the company, so they want to sell as much as possible.

The only conclusion to this is for each consumer to buy their own copy

sharing is considered bad for the company, so they want to sell as much as possible.

Unfortunately, you may very well be right, it's become less of end user enjoyment and more about sales and profit now.....

As a user who's only ever had playstations, I'm unsure if I want to go down the playstation route again...

Unfortunately, you may very well be right, it's become less of end user enjoyment and more about sales and profit now.....

Uh, I think that was always the motivation.

Uh, I think that was always the motivation.

Not so much on the ps2, as it fully supported psx (ps1) games, and so on. (at least it was, back when it felt like sony cared about it customer base) I'm just having a hard time hiding my disappointment in the rumors about the new console, hell, for all I know, they are just that, and I'm getting myself worked up over nothing, who knows, (we'll see what wednesday is supposed to bring)

So you would be happy with a ?600 PS4 if it had full backwards compatibility?

You can't have it both ways, you can either have a cheap console or backwards compatibility.

If BC is an issue then keep the PS3? It's not going to suddenly stop working.

Wouldn't that give pirates a possible way in though? If they could successfully clone a disk or fool the machine into thinking a genuine disk is in the drive they could play anything they liked

They cant clone the disk, if they could all PS3s would be able to run backed up games, the game is signed by Sony itself, unless you have access to their tools to generate a valid signature there is no way.

They cant clone the disk, if they could all PS3s would be able to run backed up games, the game is signed by Sony itself, unless you have access to their tools to generate a valid signature there is no way.

Hasn't the PS3 been chipped yet? (I don't own one so not sure)

And if it has, couldn't the PS4 also be chipped meaning that a copied disk would allow streaming of the game?

Not completely, you need a console that has version 3.55 firmware, if you have upgraded past you need a hardware flasher to downgrade back to 3.55, if your console came with 3.60 and above from the factory then you can't downgrade past the firmware it came from the factory with.

Even if the PS4 is "chipped" Sony is able to detect it like with PS3 you will get banned from being able to use PSN so even if you could clone the disk you would get banned pretty much instantly anyway.

Not completely, you need a console that has version 3.55 firmware, if you have upgraded past you need a hardware flasher to downgrade back to 3.55, if your console came with 3.60 and above from the factory then you can't downgrade past the firmware it came from the factory with.

Even if the PS4 is "chipped" Sony is able to detect it like with PS3 you will get banned from being able to use PSN.

Ah ok, yea online gaming is definitely the way to prevent piracy, last PS I had was the PS2, think its still here somewhere gathering dust, and before that I had a chipped PS1 that needed to be upside down if you wanted your games to play in colour lol

At some point it will.

PS3s will be available/manufactured long after the PS4 is launched and established. I think PS2s only recently stopped production. PSones are still widely available.

How long should Sony keep producing past gen consoles? Indefinitely?

Both Sony and Microsoft should allow people who purchased an used game to purchase a license or activation code to allow them to play the game. It would be the same thing as purchasing a code to play online. This way the money goes back to the developers instead of places like GameStop.

It would be an extremely gutsy decision to prevent used games from working.

If Sony announces they will enforce that, Microsoft can say used games will work fine and they will steal all the sales away from Sony.

The risk is just way to high for it to be a smart business decision.