Photo

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:03

I just hope Sony have a good way of playing older games you already own on PS3 (if this is to be implemented, which I'm assuming it will). I've always thought a good idea would be if you put the disc in, the PS4 recognises it and then allows it to be streamed through Gaikai.

Wouldn't that give pirates a possible way in though? If they could successfully clone a disk or fool the machine into thinking a genuine disk is in the drive they could play anything they liked

#17 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:05

They cant clone the disk, if they could all PS3s would be able to run backed up games, the game is signed by Sony itself, unless you have access to their tools to generate a valid signature there is no way.

#18 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:08

They cant clone the disk, if they could all PS3s would be able to run backed up games, the game is signed by Sony itself, unless you have access to their tools to generate a valid signature there is no way.

Hasn't the PS3 been chipped yet? (I don't own one so not sure)

And if it has, couldn't the PS4 also be chipped meaning that a copied disk would allow streaming of the game?

#19 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:11

Not completely, you need a console that has version 3.55 firmware, if you have upgraded past you need a hardware flasher to downgrade back to 3.55, if your console came with 3.60 and above from the factory then you can't downgrade past the firmware it came from the factory with.

Even if the PS4 is "chipped" Sony is able to detect it like with PS3 you will get banned from being able to use PSN so even if you could clone the disk you would get banned pretty much instantly anyway.

#20 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:14

Not completely, you need a console that has version 3.55 firmware, if you have upgraded past you need a hardware flasher to downgrade back to 3.55, if your console came with 3.60 and above from the factory then you can't downgrade past the firmware it came from the factory with.

Even if the PS4 is "chipped" Sony is able to detect it like with PS3 you will get banned from being able to use PSN.

Ah ok, yea online gaming is definitely the way to prevent piracy, last PS I had was the PS2, think its still here somewhere gathering dust, and before that I had a chipped PS1 that needed to be upside down if you wanted your games to play in colour lol

#21 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 18 February 2013 - 15:21

If BC is an issue then keep the PS3? It's not going to suddenly stop working.

At some point it will.

#22 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 18 February 2013 - 15:53

At some point it will.

PS3s will be available/manufactured long after the PS4 is launched and established. I think PS2s only recently stopped production. PSones are still widely available.

How long should Sony keep producing past gen consoles? Indefinitely?

#23 Steffan

Steffan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 19 February 2013 - 19:55

Both Sony and Microsoft should allow people who purchased an used game to purchase a license or activation code to allow them to play the game. It would be the same thing as purchasing a code to play online. This way the money goes back to the developers instead of places like GameStop.

#24 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 19 February 2013 - 20:26

It would be an extremely gutsy decision to prevent used games from working.
If Sony announces they will enforce that, Microsoft can say used games will work fine and they will steal all the sales away from Sony.

The risk is just way to high for it to be a smart business decision.

#25 Snake89

Snake89

Neowinian

Posted 19 February 2013 - 20:29

here's some news about gaikai.

http://kotaku.com/59...aystation-cloud

#26 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 February 2013 - 20:30

Can't wait till tomorrow, streams at 11pm GMT I'm gonna stay up especially to watch it, love live reveals of hardware.

#27 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 19 February 2013 - 23:50

PS3s will be available/manufactured long after the PS4 is launched and established. I think PS2s only recently stopped production. PSones are still widely available.

How long should Sony keep producing past gen consoles? Indefinitely?

They shouldn't. However, that's where BC comes in.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!