Messed up Metro Icons - Help :(

Here's the problem, a software on your computer has messed up the Segoe Symbol font. To fix it, just download the font here

Right click and install it. Your icons should no longer look like rectangles.

Here's the problem, a software on your computer has messed up the Segoe Symbol font. To fix it, just download the font here

Right click and install it. Your icons should no longer look like rectangles.

Thanks dude. I always though Windows 8 used vector art for icons.

Yeah askvg recently did an article on this. Did you figure out what caused this in the first place? Report it maybe so Microsoft can issue a hotfix.

Thanks for this link.

If font is the main cause of this MS should start using vector files because vector files can scale just as well as any font.

Thanks for this link.

If font is the main cause of this MS should start using vector files because vector files can scale just as well as any font.

Of course that's not the cause. In fact, the metro/modern side of things is already vector. The cause is a corrupt font file. Some customization software you installed corrupted it, or replaced it with an older version that doesn't include those characters.

I use UltraUXThemePatcher 2.0 and I don't have any problem like that and have a custom theme running perfectly fine. That's on Windows 8 x64 too.

hows the stability on that patch? is it better than the current UXstyle beta?

how is it after updates? with the current uxstyle beta you had to uninstall in every time before you ran windows update or things would break after a restart (breaking as in you'll have to do a system restore to use your computer) (the breaking wasn't always that sever but it was 3 out of 4 times)

i stopped using the uxstyle beta for this reason, so if UltraUXThemePatcher is more stable I'd love to try it out

Of course that's not the cause. In fact, the metro/modern side of things is already vector. The cause is a corrupt font file. Some customization software you installed corrupted it, or replaced it with an older version that doesn't include those characters.

It could have been Stardock decor8. Still MS should have used all vector instead of a mixture of vector files and fonts.

It could have been Stardock decor8. Still MS should have used all vector instead of a mixture of vector files and fonts.

it doesn't make a difference to most people though

this is the reason i stopped using themes and OS customisation software, they nearly always break something somewhere.

• Like 1

No I don't think it's decor8. I've been using it since beta along with all the other customization tools you mention. Never experienced this myself. An older installation of Office maybe?

SK[' timestamp=1361197695' post='595528430]

Hate posts like that. Since you took the time to let people know it's fixed. Maybe explain how so this thread could help others?

Download this, extract, right click and select Install.

SK[' timestamp=1361197695' post='595528430]

Hate posts like that. Since you took the time to let people know it's fixed. Maybe explain how so this thread could help others?

Sorry. :( I just re-installed the messed up Segoe Symbol font and rebooted my rig.