Crytek: PS4 and Xbox 720 no match for PC

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 20:05

This wasn't always the case. Consoles used to be competitive with moderately priced gaming PCs and even looked better for a year or so after they came out. This new generation of consoles is going to look worse than cheap gaming PCs on their launch day.

I think you are going to get a surprise.

8 Core CPU, AMD 7850/7870 GPU with 2Gb VRAM (maybe more or less because of the unified memory) is hardly a "cheap" PC.

#17 Breach

Breach

Neowinian

• 855 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 20:07

Nothing wrong with consoles - they sell a lot. I still own a PS3 just for the sake of Heavy Rain and The Last of Us. I personally prefer 'the best of' IQ hence I own a pricey PC, but I can certainly understand that that puts me in the minority.

#18 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• 3,240 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 18 February 2013 - 20:12

I think you are going to get a surprise.

8 Core CPU, AMD 7850/7870 GPU with 2Gb VRAM (maybe more or less because of the unified memory) is hardly a "cheap" PC.

Neither of the next gen consoles will have a 7800 series gpu. Not if the 1.2(xbox3)/1.8(ps4) TFlops reports are true. It'd be a 7700 series at best.

#19 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,262 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 20:21

A 1TB (or bigger) HD and the ability to download every game over Xbox Live would mean a lot more to me than graphics.

#20 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 20:27

Neither of the next gen consoles will have a 7800 series gpu. Not if the 1.2(xbox3)/1.8(ps4) TFlops reports are true. It'd be a 7700 series at best.

Incorrect, current rumours are that the Orbis at least is based on 7970M (which itself comes with 20CUs but orbis has some chopped off) 14CUs with a further 4 'special purpose' ALUs, 32ROPs, 80TMUs, running 800Mhz core speed. The 7970M itself is 2.2TF, with the disabled CUs the 1.8TF number being floated about for Orbis means it has a GPU that is somewhere in the region of desktop 7850.

The Durangos 12CU GPU is more in line with 7750/7770.

#21 @Leo

@Leo

Under Derp Patrol

• 606 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 18 February 2013 - 20:47

When I get home from work I just want to lean back in my couch, turn my brain off and turn my console on hurr durr.

Posted Image

#22 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,767 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 21:17

Thank you captain obvious.. *rolls eyes @ crytek*

#23 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

• 1,312 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 21:25

This is where Steam Big Picture Mode could make things interesting.

If you have a mid-high range gaming rig (not the one Valve is 1st putting out), hook it up to your tv and use an xbox controller on the pc...
You get the best of both worlds.

#24 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,614 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 23:11

The funny thing is that you don't get many PC exclusive games so multiplatform games are developed for the lowest common denominator which is a console, so having a $2000 PC isn't going to mean much if you are running a game meant $350-400 console spec levels.

Actually that's where the problem resides; we could had much better graphics with a PC exclusive and that could push graphics even further, but unfortunately games are made for the target that sells more: console gaming.

#25 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

• 11,701 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 23:15

The funny thing is that you don't get many PC exclusive games so multiplatform games are developed for the lowest common denominator which is a console, so having a $2000 PC isn't going to mean much if you are running a game meant $350-400 console spec levels.

that BS, recent "ports" have better textures and the option of maxing AA and AF makes any port 100% better on PC then on console.

lets not even mention what community can do, just look at Oblivion, fallout or other games with big communities, they can makes games 1,000% better.

#26 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 21 February 2013 - 23:23

I don't know what the big deal is. Anybody with common sense and knowledge knows that a gaming console will never match a PC in terms of power and graphics. The cost of making a game console as powerful as a PC is way too high and most consumers (except rich kids with rich parents) will never pay $2,000 for a gaming console.

#27 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,445 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 23:27

Wish Crytek would shut up, getting sick of seeing them in the news bragging about their Engine.

I prefer this to douches who sold themselves like Mark Rein.

#28 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,816 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 21 February 2013 - 23:31

I find it laughable that come PC Gamers are actually getting excited that they may not being able to Max out Crysis 3 and achieve a playable framerate. Seriously, what kind of gamer gets excited about not being able to play a game?

#29 gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm

Neowinian

• 847 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 23:32

Who gives a crap if PC gaming is technically better.

Most games that I play or would won't to play are not even on PC's.

Take for example Sony's MLB The Show that is the best baseball game bar none and it will never ever see the light of day on any PC!

Plus in my opinion MLB The Show already looks wonderful on the PS3 so I can only imagine what it will be like on PS4 :)

The only good games on PC's are first persion shooters which I never play anyway.

Trust me the PS4 and Xbox 720 specs are more then enough to please most gamers.

#30 +dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• 9,997 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 21 February 2013 - 23:52

You can't polish a turd, PC ports of console games usually have lower fidelity with regards to models, levels, textures, etc.. no matter how much bloom, motion blur, depth of field you plaster on.

Actually, you can.

I find it laughable that come PC Gamers are actually getting excited that they may not being able to Max out Crysis 3 and achieve a playable framerate. Seriously, what kind of gamer gets excited about not being able to play a game?

Honestly, I'd like to know where this crowd is myself. I don't see anyone like that on Neowin, but whenever a PC vs. consoles war flares up, it gets mentioned. Do we not know how to ignore idiots by now? Or does everyone have the same instinctual reaction of flipping out because they read stupid comments on YouTube?

So thin-skinned we are is all I'm gathering here.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!