Windows 8 or Macbook pro

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ahoncbt

ahoncbt

Neowinian

• 120 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:38

seems like most people think windows 8 is just stupid and pointless and to a extend i understand what they mean.
Should i buy Surface pro or macbook pro?

surface do not have a stand keyboard so its nearly impossible to use on lap.

both cost same with keyboard but mac look and perform very well.

pro is tablet. what you think?

#2 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• 4,350 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:53

Depends on what you want. There are also other Windows 8 tablets with other docking options (Thinkpad Helix, Samsung ATIV Pro...). And if a tablet isn't for you, there are many many nice ultrabooks that could suit your needs.

The Surface Pro has a significantly higher resolution screen than the comparable MacBook Pro (1366x768 MacBook Pro vs 1920x1080 Surface Pro). It has a Wacom digitizer, great for taking handwritten notes... handwriting recognition (which is awesome), and tablet form factor. And then there are the materials... magnesium vs aluminum.

#3 .Markus

.Markus

supertramp

• 3,688 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:55

You're comparing two fairly different products. A Macbook Pro is not nearly as portable as a Surface tablet, however far more powerful and useful for proper desktop applications and productivity.
You'll have to decide for yourself what suits you, and what needs you have.
I've got a Macbook pro with retina (which costs as much as 3 Surface pro's in total), with Windows 8 as second OS on Bootcamp. Works well for my purpose and needs....
Good luck with whatever you choose...

#4 OP ahoncbt

ahoncbt

Neowinian

• 120 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:06

You're comparing two fairly different products. A Macbook Pro is not nearly as portable as a Surface tablet, however far more powerful and useful for proper desktop applications and productivity.
You'll have to decide for yourself what suits you, and what needs you have.
I've got a Macbook pro with retina (which costs as much as 3 Surface pro's in total), with Windows 8 as second OS on Bootcamp. Works well for my purpose and needs....
Good luck with whatever you choose...

i think mac book pro with surface is fair comparison. both are full fledged computers.
retina is high end device with high resolution,high end processor for 1499 and surface pro with keyboard and 128gb is $1100
the extra you pay is for good design and high resolution.

i am comparing macbook pro non retina 13 inch vs surface

#5 .Markus

.Markus

supertramp

• 3,688 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:20

Still have to bear in mind, that they're two completely different form factors, just as comparing an iPhone to an iPad
A Surface tablet with a soft cover keyboard won't beat a Macbook or any other laptop with a proper-spaced built in keyboard and extra USB ports etc.
Again, do consider what you will use your computer/tablet for, i.e. mostly browsing and watching youtube movies, or also creating documents and editing photos etc.

#6 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,369 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:23

Let's see, Surface pro:
Cheaper, lighter, higher resolution, touch screen, Wacom pen, runs more apps... Ummm I'm gonna have to go with the Pro! :)

A Macbook Pro is not nearly as portable as a Surface tablet, however far more powerful and useful for proper desktop applications and productivity.

They both have i5's and 4 gb of RAM, surface has an SSD, so where's the "more powerful" coming from?

I really don't get this, unless I have a magic lap. I use it in my lap, with the keyboard, all of the time. The pro has a different angled stand, so maybe it's harder to use, but my RT is perfectly happy in my lap (don't read too much into that), keyboard and all.

#7 .Markus

.Markus

supertramp

• 3,688 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:33

They both have i5's and 4 gb of RAM, surface has an SSD, so where's the "more powerful" coming from?

Was more thinking in the lines of the Mac pro I'm using, but yes there you're right. For the basic is the same processor and RAM offered.
However the Macbook has the advantage of a larger screen and a proper keyboard. Hence why I wrote a Surface or any tablet is more for media consuming and basic tasks...

#8 OP ahoncbt

ahoncbt

Neowinian

• 120 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:33

I really don't get this, unless I have a magic lap. I use it in my lap, with the keyboard, all of the time. The pro has a different angled stand, so maybe it's harder to use, but my RT is perfectly happy in my lap (don't read too much into that), keyboard and all.

you have a magic lap then https://www.youtube....QM2RTj4w#t=213s

#9 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• 4,350 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:38

you have a magic lap then https://www.youtube....QM2RTj4w#t=213s

That guy had his legs up. If you have your feet flat on the floor - not raised at that strange angle, it will sit just fine in your lap. Yes, a tablet with a docking keyboard, or a full laptop will sit in your lap better, but it's not as bad as many are implying. I haven't tried Surface Pro, but our Surface RT works just fine in my lap.

#10 peacemf

peacemf

T Fizz - now with more bubbles!

• 2,892 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 19:22

if you asked me "buy a windows 8 normal laptop or a macbook pro laptop" i'd say macbook. because windows 8 is for touch really...
when in desktop mode it works well, mostly like windows 7, but the touch interface seems too basic to be a power horse/beef.

#11 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,229 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 19:34

I don't think Neowin is the right place to ask such a question.

#12 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 20:56

This thread is just a giant pile of misinformation. :laugh:

At the moment, I think the Surface Pro would be more enjoyable to use, but the Macbook Pro can run OSX and Windows 8, which is not true of the Surface. Also, there's the small issue of storage, which does not favor the Surface.

#13 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian Senior

• 1,710 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 21:04

seems like most people think windows 8 is just stupid and pointless and to a extend i understand what they mean.
Should i buy Surface pro or macbook pro?

both cost same with keyboard but mac look and perform very well.

pro is tablet. what you think?

As someone else pointed out you might not get correct and unbiased info from this forum, windows 8 in any form is not worth the trouble just get the macbook and call it a day.

#14 OP ahoncbt

ahoncbt

Neowinian

• 120 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:41

That guy had his legs up. If you have your feet flat on the floor - not raised at that strange angle, it will sit just fine in your lap. Yes, a tablet with a docking keyboard, or a full laptop will sit in your lap better, but it's not as bad as many are implying. I haven't tried Surface Pro, but our Surface RT works just fine in my lap.

so use surface very uncomfortable?? keep lap straight and dont relax when you use the surface??
seems like surface has a lot of negative and giving up almost everything.

#15 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,987 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:44

If you're against Windows 8, why not get a Windows 7 laptop? Plenty of choice.

If it's a tablet you want, i'd probably go with a Surface Pro though.