21 replies to this topic

#16 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,537 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:45

This thread is just a giant pile of misinformation. :laugh:

At the moment, I think the Surface Pro would be more enjoyable to use, but the Macbook Pro can run OSX and Windows 8, which is not true of the Surface. Also, there's the small issue of storage, which does not favor the Surface.

speaking of misinformation

the surface pro has recently been proven to be a rather good hackentosh machine :rofl:

#17 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 8,918 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:55

so use surface very uncomfortable?? keep lap straight and dont relax when you use the surface??
seems like surface has a lot of negative and giving up almost everything.

Sounds like you made up your mind before you opened this topic. Get the Mcbook Pro.

#18 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,159 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:59

so use surface very uncomfortable?? keep lap straight and dont relax when you use the surface??
seems like surface has a lot of negative and giving up almost everything.

You seem really anti-Surface, so why even make this thread?

#19 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:47

speaking of misinformation

the surface pro has recently been proven to be a rather good hackentosh machine :rofl:

You can only legally and reliable run both operating systems on the Macbook... how about that? :)

#20 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

• 2,275 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:57

If you need or want OS X, you're not going to be happy with the Surface, and will want to get the MBP instead.
If you need or want a laptop and tablet in one single device and are fine with Windows 8, you might enjoy the Surface Pro. You would have to make some compromises though depending on the expectations you have of either a tablet or a laptop.
If you need a device optimized for laptop usage, there's a wide array of devices that might be preferable to a Surface Pro and cheaper than a MBP.
If you need a device optimized for tablet usage, you might be happier with an iPad, Nexus tablet or Surface RT.

#21 Northgrove

Northgrove

Philosophizing Developer

• 9,874 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:15

If you rely a lot on Windows-specific software, I guess the Surface would be better for you.

Otherwise, I think it depends on how you expect to use it. Do you frequently need to be as mobile as possible, perhaps in cramped spaces like on train or on airplane? And then be able to conveniently use the same device at offices? I think the Surface is the better choice again here. If you think you will often not need the power of a full-fledged laptop and would actually win out on a compromise.

For all other scenarios, I'd go with the MacBook Pro. The touchpad is ridiculously good and it's a much better desktop-oriented operating system. I think the Surface Pro only excels in the scenario where you have to use it in mixed environments and with limited space.

Finally, if you don't really think you even need a laptop that much, you should perhaps look at a tablet instead. The Surface Pro is not a tablet. Don't be fooled by people saying it is both a tablet and a laptop. There are tablets, laptops, and then the Surface Pro in its own category which is neither but have some advantages especially in niche usage.

#22 OP ahoncbt

ahoncbt

Neowinian

• 120 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:37

I decided to buy a Nexus 10(ordered it 3 days ago and got it yesterday evening). amazing device totally worth it.
Glad i didn't buy surface. I also decided to buy Mac book pro. waiting to get good deals online now.