Texas woman has two sets of identical twins in one day

A Texas mother had a one-in-70-million kind of Valentine's Day this year when she gave birth to two sets of identical twin boys, a Houston hospital announced on Monday.

The four brothers were delivered at 31 weeks to Tressa Montalvo, 36, via Cesarean section at The Woman's Hospital of Texas in Houston, according to a news release from the hospital.

Tressa and Manuel Montalvo Jr. were not using any fertility drugs and had just hoped for a little brother or sister for their 2-year-old son, Memphis, according to the release.

"We planned the pregnancy - I guess we just succeeded a little too much!" said Tressa Montalvo, quoted in the release.

When Montalvo was 10 weeks pregnant, her physician told her she was having twins, and on a subsequent visit, the doctor detected a third heartbeat. The Montalvos were later informed they were having four babies - not quadruplets but two sets of twins.

The odds of delivering two sets of naturally occurring identical twins is somewhere in the range of 1 in 70 million, according to the hospital. Two boys shared one placenta and the two other boys shared another placenta.

Ace and Blaine were born at 8:51 a.m. on February 14 and weighed 3 pounds, 10 ounces (1.64 kg), and 3 pounds, 15 ounces (1.79 kg), respectively. Cash and Dylan followed a minute later, weighing 2 pounds, 15 ounces (1.33 kg), and 3 pounds, 6 ounces (1.53 kg), respectively.

"We tried to stick to the A-B-C-D theme when naming them," Tressa Montalvo said. "We didn't expect it, we were trying for just one and we were blessed with four."

Manuel Montalvo said in the release that they're not done yet - he still wants a girl.

source

That's still quadruples. just a weird mix of two sets of one egged or whatever the english term is. but they're still quadruplets.

Unless we're suddenly not calling non identical(ie twins from different eggs) twins anymore.

That's still quadruples. just a weird mix of two sets of one egged or whatever the english term is. but they're still quadruplets.

Unless we're suddenly not calling non identical(ie twins from different eggs) twins anymore.

You're right. Even if two of them were identical twins and the other two were fraternal (non-identical), they'd still be considered quadruplets for being born at the same time.

that's crazy O_O

At least they're happy about it. I'd be panicking right about now.

And ho boy, those names. Two out of the five are acceptable at least xD

I cringed when I read she named the first child "Ace".....................

edit: nvm..the third named "Cash".............

Yeah, if she wanted ABCD, what's wrong with Andrew, Billy, Charley and Daniel, or something else less stupid?

I swear, parents should be prosecuted for giving their kids stupid names.

She should quit while she's ahead. :p

AM news said they're going to try again to get a girl - 4 boys this time and a boy toddler at home. Mom is outgunned 6:1 and in need of support :rofl:

my god? they will be tiny... even combined they come out to just over my birth weight

what does their birth weight have to do with how big they will turn out...

what does their birth weight have to do with how big they will turn out...

I cannot be bothered to explain it my self, if it was a serious question then read this..

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/149/8/726.full.pdf

there is a lot of uneeded information but it shows my point as their is very defined correlation of data

You're right. Even if two of them were identical twins and the other two were fraternal (non-identical), they'd still be considered quadruplets for being born at the same time.

Isn't it something to do with them being on separate placentas ? -.-

I cannot be bothered to explain it my self, if it was a serious question then read this..

http://aje.oxfordjou.../8/726.full.pdf

there is a lot of uneeded information but it shows my point as their is very defined correlation of data

which is irrelevant in this case anyway as with all multi births they are born premature, and/or smaller then regular despite the adult size of each baby being the same as if they had been born at full weight and size at 9 months.

and even, then. I can tell you that baby weight from my experience have little to do with actual adult height.

Isn't it something to do with them being on separate placentas ? -.-

No. It has to do with how many babies are delivered. Most twins have separate amniotic sacs but share the same placenta. Only a small percentage of twins, and all non-identical twins, have their own amniotic sac and placenta. I'm not an expert but I don't think that affects the chances of having twins, triplets, or quadruplets. It's still a mystery to scientists. They don't know why a zygote splits to form more than one embryo. They do, however, have a better idea about non-identical twins (where two fertilized eggs attach themselves to the uterine wall).