104 posts in this topic

Posted

[font=georgia,serif][size=5][b]Windows 7 still being sold on up to 93% of British PCs[/b][/size]

The vast majority of British-assembled PCs are being sold with Windows 7, not Windows 8, according to several system builders contacted by PC Pro.
One company told PC Pro it was still selling 93% of its machines with Windows 7 installed.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]Paul Redford, chairman of Manchester-based Computer Planet, has sold more than 500 systems in January, with only 20% of them running Windows 8. It
1 person likes this

Posted

When you go to Alienware and build a PC / Laptop it gives you 7 by default, there is an option for 8 which is free.

Maybe people still love 7.
1 person likes this

Posted

[i][font=georgia,serif]His customers quickly began to specify systems with Windows 7, and said Windows 8 customers "took delivery and wanted to change back to Windows 7"[/font][/i]

[i]"[font=georgia,serif]We know of people who have returned to Windows 7

Posted

[quote name='Crisp' timestamp='1361286394' post='595530306']

Maybe people still love 7.
[/quote]

IMO 7 is the best Windows OS by miles, the new XP
9 people like this

Posted

Uh, what driver issues? :huh:
4 people like this

Posted

[quote name='Detection' timestamp='1361286533' post='595530312']
[/quote]

I totally agree
4 people like this

Posted

anyone that wants to buy a new windows machine is going to buy a touch friendly one from the big boys. these guys dont and cant integrate touch into their boxes. these "system builders" are dinosaurs that are about to be extinct. Looks to me like PC Pro is fishing for negativity as these guys sell such a small quantity that its insignificant. 500 systems in January?
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='FloatingFatMan' timestamp='1361286621' post='595530316']
Uh, what driver issues? :huh:
[/quote]
+1 what driver issues really?

Posted

[quote name='vcfan' timestamp='1361287425' post='595530330']
anyone that wants to buy a new windows machine is going to buy a touch friendly one from the big boys.
[/quote]
Are there really [i]that [/i]many "touch friendly" PCs out there yet and are consumers demanding them? Honest question, since I have no idea, but didn't actually expect that to be the case.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Detection' timestamp='1361286533' post='595530312']
[/quote]

Agree. I would still go with Windows 8 though.

Posted

[quote name=']SK[' timestamp='1361288300' post='595530364']I would still go with Windows 8 though.
[/quote]
I would go with Windows 8 every time - and then install Start8. Easily the best Windows yet, as far as I'm concerned.

Posted

[quote name=']SK[' timestamp='1361288300' post='595530364']

Agree. I would still go with Windows 8 though.
[/quote]

Why go with 8 if you think 7 is better ? :)

Posted

I'm one of those people who understand what 8 is, and as an upgrade it is one, but the interface breaks it for me, and 7 does all I need and then some.
6 people like this

Posted

The way I look at it, Windows 7 is the best operating system in history. OS X, Linux, Windows 8 and previous releases of Windows will never compare.
2 people like this

Posted

What this [color=#282828][font=georgia, serif][size=3]Paul Redford is saying pretty much reflects what is happening here in the states as well with most major retailers.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=georgia, serif][size=3]We have stacks upon stacks of machines with windows 8 on them that nobody wants to buy, most consumers do not want anything to do with windows 8 at all.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=georgia, serif][size=3]If we still had machines with 7 installed on them they would probably fly off the shelves but consumers don't have a choice anymore.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=georgia, serif][size=3]At the consumer level windows 8 is a colossal failure.[/size][/font][/color]

Posted

As a whole Windows 7 works very very well. It's a very complete OS. Windows 8 though has all that and additional changes which make it even better. Of course the one thing that lets it down is the lacking Start screen (note that I said lacking Start screen and not lack of the Start Menu :p). The Start screen just needs time to mature. Regardless of how much people cry over the Start Menu, Microsoft will not be bring it back.

Posted

[quote name='CSharp.' timestamp='1361288179' post='595530356']
Are there really [i]that [/i]many "touch friendly" PCs out there yet and are consumers demanding them? Honest question, since I have no idea, but didn't actually expect that to be the case.
[/quote]

yes,touch devices are in extremely high demand. PC makers couldn't keep these devices on the shelves,and are having trouble keeping supply up of touch screens to meet this demand. non touch screen devices were in less demand, and PC makers screwed up the windows 8 launch by not being ready with their touch devices,instead unloading their old windows 7 devices stock with windows 8 installed.

Posted

[quote name='vcfan' timestamp='1361289116' post='595530390']
yes,touch devices are in extremely high demand. PC makers couldn't keep these devices on the shelves,and are having trouble keeping supply up of touch screens to meet this demand.
[/quote]
Huh. Do you have a source for that?

Posted

I'm not surprised by this. 8 I'm sure is an excellent OS, but after 2 attempts to like it, I gave up. The old warhorse still has plenty of life yet, which pleases me :)

Posted

[quote name='Dushmany' timestamp='1361289673' post='595530412']
8 I'm sure is an excellent OS, but after 2 attempts to like it, I gave up
[/quote]

lol same here, many more times than 2 actually, which brought me to the conclusion that it's not a great OS

Posted

"[font="Georgia"]I don
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='Dot Matrix' timestamp='1361291383' post='595530488']

[b]England [/b]held onto Windows XP for dear life after the release of Windows Vista and even Windows 7.
[/quote]

?? Source ?

Posted

[quote name='Detection' timestamp='1361291616' post='595530502']
?? Source ?
[/quote]

I believe I saw that here on Neowin years ago before I signed up. I cannot find it now.

Posted

[quote name='Dot Matrix' timestamp='1361291383' post='595530488']
"[font=Georgia]I don

Posted

[quote name='Dot Matrix' timestamp='1361291881' post='595530514']
I believe I saw that here on Neowin years ago before I signed up. I cannot find it now.
[/quote]

After the disaster that was Vista, I think people had a hard time moving from XP again, but almost everyone I know with a computer now and for quite a while has 7 running on it

A few who were not in the loop about Vista I upgraded to 7 too, but the last person I have seen running XP was my mum about 6 months back on an ancient machine, which I took from her and replaced with a decent Win 8 machine because she is one of the ones that loves the Metro UI and most of what she does on her machine has a Metro app