• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#16 ]SK[

]SK[

Neowinian Senior

• 3,593 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 19 February 2013 - 15:51

As a whole Windows 7 works very very well. It's a very complete OS. Windows 8 though has all that and additional changes which make it even better. Of course the one thing that lets it down is the lacking Start screen (note that I said lacking Start screen and not lack of the Start Menu :p). The Start screen just needs time to mature. Regardless of how much people cry over the Start Menu, Microsoft will not be bring it back.

#17 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,263 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 15:51

Are there really that many "touch friendly" PCs out there yet and are consumers demanding them? Honest question, since I have no idea, but didn't actually expect that to be the case.

yes,touch devices are in extremely high demand. PC makers couldn't keep these devices on the shelves,and are having trouble keeping supply up of touch screens to meet this demand. non touch screen devices were in less demand, and PC makers screwed up the windows 8 launch by not being ready with their touch devices,instead unloading their old windows 7 devices stock with windows 8 installed.

#18 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

• 2,751 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 15:58

yes,touch devices are in extremely high demand. PC makers couldn't keep these devices on the shelves,and are having trouble keeping supply up of touch screens to meet this demand.

Huh. Do you have a source for that?

#19 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,895 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 16:01

I'm not surprised by this. 8 I'm sure is an excellent OS, but after 2 attempts to like it, I gave up. The old warhorse still has plenty of life yet, which pleases me :)

#20 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 16:11

8 I'm sure is an excellent OS, but after 2 attempts to like it, I gave up

lol same here, many more times than 2 actually, which brought me to the conclusion that it's not a great OS

#21 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,518 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 19 February 2013 - 16:29

"I don’t remember this with people upgrading from Windows XP."

Strange, because England held onto Windows XP for dear life after the release of Windows Vista and even Windows 7.

#22 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 16:33

England held onto Windows XP for dear life after the release of Windows Vista and even Windows 7.

?? Source ?

#23 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,518 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 19 February 2013 - 16:38

?? Source ?

I believe I saw that here on Neowin years ago before I signed up. I cannot find it now.

#24 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,057 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 16:40

Strange, because England held onto Windows XP for dear life after the release of Windows Vista and even Windows 7.

Huge numbers of Americans and other nationalities held on to it too. Hell, huge numbers of Neowin members held on to XP as well. Some are still using it even now!

#25 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 16:44

I believe I saw that here on Neowin years ago before I signed up. I cannot find it now.

After the disaster that was Vista, I think people had a hard time moving from XP again, but almost everyone I know with a computer now and for quite a while has 7 running on it

A few who were not in the loop about Vista I upgraded to 7 too, but the last person I have seen running XP was my mum about 6 months back on an ancient machine, which I took from her and replaced with a decent Win 8 machine because she is one of the ones that loves the Metro UI and most of what she does on her machine has a Metro app

#26 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,263 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 16:56

Huh. Do you have a source for that?

Demand for Windows 8 touch-screen PCs is strong, according to two analysts who spoke with CNET.
"Touch machines are actually selling above expectations," said Bob O'Donnell, a program vice president at IDC.
And that means supply shortages. "Some vendors are actually facing shortages because touch panels are in limited supply. Vendors are saying they can't get as many touch-based machines as they would like to meet the demand that they're seeing."
Rhoda Alexander, an analyst at IHS iSuppli, echoed O'Donnell's comments. "We've talked to a number of PC makers that are having trouble obtaining touch panels and some of the vendors I've talked to said they can't keep them on the shelf," she said.
And Microsoft has said as much. Tami Reller, chief marketing and financial officer for Windows, said last week that there are "not enough" touch devices on store shelves.

http://news.cnet.com...-demand-strong/

some Microsoft Stores also sold out of a $1,500 touch-enabled Ultrabook from Sony. “Sony Vaio Touch Intel i7 was the fastest selling Windows 8 notebook in the high-end category,” Chowdhry added.

While this may be the year that the desktop PC died, Dell has not given up on the market. And it’s a good thing, too — if it had, it could not have built the fastest-selling all-in-one Windows 8 desktop. On Black Friday, Dell’s XPS One 27 earned that crown.
Chowdhry said that while he could not get any color on the number of units available, the converged view was that the “demand was too high” for Dell’s $2,000 machine.

http://www.forbes.co...indows-8-sales/

go around and search,theres a ton of these articles about windows 8 touch devices being in high demand. Dell said these devices are in high demand. HP just came out recently and said things are starting to ramp up with windows 8 and its devices.

#27 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 11,895 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 17:39

http://news.cnet.com...-demand-strong/

http://www.forbes.co...indows-8-sales/

go around and search,theres a ton of these articles about windows 8 touch devices being in high demand. Dell said these devices are in high demand. HP just came out recently and said things are starting to ramp up with windows 8 and its devices.

I'm sorry, but what did that have to do with this topic?

#28 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,263 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 17:44

I'm sorry, but what did that have to do with this topic?

maybe if you read the previous posts you would know.

#29 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 11,895 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 17:44

And it still has one of the best enterprise editions, not to mention offices and supermarket checkout machines still running just fine on xp
Amazing that It's still going strong for it's age

#30 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,026 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 17:45

don't think windows 8 that much faster than windows 7 is both have an SSD.