Windows 7 still being sold on up to 93% of British PCs

Seriously?

This is a sensationalist headline if I ever saw one. It's misleading as it's 93% of PCs from ONE company.

"One company told PC Pro it was still selling 93% of its machines with Windows 7 installed."

Are people going to just ignore the above statement because it doesn't fit with their 'Bash Windows 8 at all costs' mentality?

People should rightfully have their own opinions of everything but when you go out of your way to bash a product/company, you may want to re-evaluate your life.

I feel that if a person has the money and wants to purchase software but finds that it's heavily gimped or broken, not even an upgrade from their previous version, then the consumer has every right in the world to complain as much as he/she wants.

When Vista/7 released people were like XP is king, there's no need to upgrade.

When XP released people were like 2000 is king, XP is pathetic and there's no need to upgrade.

If MS listened to the people everytime they made a new OS we'd still be on 3.1.

I don't think in the entire history of microsoft have they received as much backlash over something as they have with windows 8, even Vista with all it's problems didn't receive this much hate.

• Like 1

I don't think in the entire history of microsoft have they received as much backlash over something as they have with windows 8, even Vista with all it's problems didn't receive this much hate.

Too young to remember ME or just very selective memory?

XP was loathed when it released. People especially hated that childish fisher price colors and swore to stick to 2000.

Vista had more FUD when it released than any other software known to man kind. Hell there were articles all over the place about how Vista wouldn't allow you play non-DRM media. They hated UAC. Some people hated the theme and claimed XP looked better (ironic huh?). They blamed MS for the poor drivers (most of which came down to two companies, nvidia and creative).

Most Windows releases have been hated when they release and people only start to like it after a few service packs or MS improves it (Vista -> 7 for example). Everytime a new Windows releases people are always claiming it'll increase Mac and Linux usage because it's so bad.

MS have always taken risks and made changes that are unpopular at first but eventually become liked. Without ME you wouldn't have had XP. Without Vista you wouldn't have had 7. Both those OSes included a lot of new changes that people hated but once they got used to it, they start to like it.

People just don't like change.

XP was loathed when it released. People especially hated that childish fisher price colors and swore to stick to 2000.

I loathed XP each day I had to use it. It was a piece of Swiss Cheese of an OS.

Perhaps you are the one with selective memory, ME was terrible but the backlash was nowhere near what it is with windows 8.

Perhaps you are the one with selective memory, ME was terrible but the backlash was nowhere near what it is with windows 8.

Vista had more of a backlash than Windows 8 currently does. I don't remember Vista devices selling out, or Vista spurring app development.

Vista had more FUD when it released than any other software known to man kind. Hell there were articles all over the place about how Vista wouldn't allow you play non-DRM media. They hated UAC. Some people hated the theme and claimed XP looked better (ironic huh?). They blamed MS for the poor drivers (most of which came down to two companies, nvidia and creative).

Most Windows releases have been hated when they release and people only start to like it after a few service packs or MS improves it (Vista -> 7 for example). Everytime a new Windows releases people are always claiming it'll increase Mac and Linux usage because it's so bad.

MS have always taken risks and made changes that are unpopular at first but eventually become liked. Without ME you wouldn't have had XP. Without Vista you wouldn't have had 7. Both those OSes included a lot of new changes that people hated but once they got used to it, they start to like it.

People just don't like change.

All the apologia and false assumptions in the world will never overshadow the fact that windows 8 has become the most hated OS in the entire history of microsoft.

Yes XP wasn't well received at first mostly due to the "fisher price" UI, however once people realized they had a choice to go with classic desktop all the moaning and groaning eventually went away, unlike windows 8 where there's an obvious usability issue and no option given by microsoft to fix it.

Unlike Vista and ME the hatred toward windows 8 is steadily increasing with no end in sight.

The Vista drivers were 99.99% the fault of microsoft, not the drivers, microsoft signed them thereby certifying them to work with the hardware, given the bad reputation of Vista many people decided to stay on XP because it just plain worked, there was no "FUD" about Vista, the hate it received was well earned.

The whole "people don't like change" or are afraid of change is nothing more than zealot evasion and fear of acknowledging that the "change" was simply not for the better and in the case of windows 8 it was for the worse.

All the apologia and false assumptions in the world will never overshadow the fact that windows 8 has become the most hated OS in the entire history of microsoft.

Yes XP wasn't well received at first mostly due to the "fisher price" UI, however once people realized they had a choice to go with classic desktop all the moaning and groaning eventually went away, unlike windows 8 where there's an obvious usability issue and no option given by microsoft to fix it.

Unlike Vista and ME the hatred toward windows 8 is steadily increasing with no end in sight.

The Vista drivers were 99.99% the fault of microsoft, not the drivers, microsoft signed them thereby certifying them to work with the hardware, given the bad reputation of Vista many people decided to stay on XP because it just plain worked, there was no "FUD" about Vista, the hate it received was well earned.

The whole "people don't like change" or are afraid of change is nothing more than zealot evasion and fear of acknowledging that the "change" was simply not for the better and in the case of windows 8 it was for the worse.

I challenge you to back your claims with sources. 60+ million licenses, increased app development, increased Steam stats, and sold out Surface devices say otherwise.

I had no issues with Vista, it was a much needed update to the Windows codebase, after XP suffered at the hands of constant security holes, buffer overflows, and driver instability. It ran perfectly fine on my circa 2004 single core machine. Oh, and the fact that Microsoft codes all third party drivers, is news to me... ;)

I challenge you to back your claims with sources. 60+ million licenses, increased app development, and sold out Surface devices say otherwise.

I had no issues with Vista, it ran perfectly fine on my circa 2004 single core machine. Oh, and the fact that Microsoft codes all third party drivers, is news to me... ;)

That tired old zealot 60 million claim is laughable since it has nothing to do with actually retail sales.

Selling out surface when you only have less than 5 in stock to begin with hardly makes the product a success by any means.

I never said microsoft codes any third party drivers.

I swear you must be Steven Ballmer hiding behind an alias.

/s

That tired old zealot 60 million claim is laughable since it has nothing to do with actually retail sales.

Selling out surface when you only have less than 5 in stock to begin with hardly makes the product a success by any means.

I never said microsoft codes any third party drivers.

I swear you must be Steven Ballmer hiding behind an alias.

/s

Again, sources?

Actually the moaning and groaning didn't go away till service pack 2.

People like to complain that MS hid a lot of options in Windows 8. So? They hid a lot of options in Windows Vista and 7 too. Why aren't people complaining about that?

How do you access the file/alt etc menu in Vista/7? Oh you press the alt key. Where's the visual cue for that? Doesn't exist. How do you change whats shown on the start menu? Oh you go to taskbar properties -> start menu -> customize. The entire control panel was redone and a lot of options were hidden away behind other menus and options. A massive amount of commands in Windows is hidden behind the right click menu (oh wait that's exactly how metro works too, shocking).

People complained about those changes too, but now they love them. Why? Because they got used to it. Some people still hate them however and use programs like Classic Shell to fix it. Just like if you hate the start screen use Start8 or any of the other apps to fix it.

No FUD about vista are you kidding? People believed that Vista wouldn't allow you to play any media that wasn't DRMed. Was that true? No it wasn't. People were convinced none of their applications would work. 99% of their apps worked just fine OOB. People were convinced MS put a backdoor into Vista that only they could access. Was that true? Nope it wasn't.

The FUD against Vista was so bad, Microsoft actually had to run adverts to prove to people that most of it wasn't true at all.

And as for WHQL testing, it's pretty much impossible for MS to test every single scenario. We both could have hardware from the same company but one driver may work perfectly for you, and crash continuously for me. There are just far too many variables, both software and hardware, to make a driver that works 100% of the time across 100% of computers.

MS have always used the exact same calculation when talking about Windows sales. Nobody doubted it when 7, Vista, XP came out. But now everyone does :rolleyes:

The moaning and groaning with XP was more than just the UI. It was unstable (and still is). It had massive security flaws (and still does), and at the time, it required (then) more powerful hardware.

As more new Windows 8 hardware comes to market and the older Windows 7 systems dry up in the channel the numbers will switch.

This statement I can take both as truth and fact. Unfortunately. Seeing as 7 is still their most satisfactory product, (for me at least) if these forums are anything to go by, my only question became, why didn't they offer a choice on 8 for classic right out of the box?

I could see 8 being an even more huge success if it catered for all tastes, for those who like metro, bam, for those who don't, again, bam.

Seriously?

This is a sensationalist headline if I ever saw one. It's misleading as it's 93% of PCs from ONE company.

"One company told PC Pro it was still selling 93% of its machines with Windows 7 installed."

Are people going to just ignore the above statement because it doesn't fit with their 'Bash Windows 8 at all costs' mentality?

People should rightfully have their own opinions of everything but when you go out of your way to bash a product/company, you may want to re-evaluate your life.

Well this is a pro windows 7 thread... :p

What was wrong with ME? I had that, on an old 1 gig athlon, never had any trouble with it..?

Again, sources?

I'll back him up, but then I've got to go back to licking windows... :p

Seriously?

What a hypocritical thing to say for an Apple basher like yourself.

• Like 1

Loathed is waaay too strong. Online geek types complained and more laughed about the fisher price theme. Then they customized it to death. The improved plug-n-play alone made it a hit. Consumer loved it. It sold lots of home PCs.

There was so much to be improved. With Windows 8, not so much other than its usability on tablets. The problem is, iPad and cheap Google tablets. On tablets it's basically irrelevant with consumers at the moment. Microsoft has done attention bringing attention to the Surface but just hasn't won them over. I blame it on lack of significant apps (that they don't already have on iPad or cheaper Android devices) and lack of Middleware (iTunes/Zune equivalent). It'll do well in the Enterprise.

It's going to sell well because it's going to be on all new PCs soon enough. So it will be successful. But it may never be loved by consumers like the iPad and the generic "Android phones & tablets."

• Like 1

Edit: Microsoft has done great bringing attention to the Surface but just hasn't won them over.

I remember working in a computer store around that time and people were pretty ****ed off. Almost without fail people using ME were having big issues with it. Whether it be drivers, software causing blue screens, system restore not restoring correctly. Pretty sure it features on many "worst products of all time" lists.

I see few people complaining about Windows 8 actually not working. They might not like the design decisions but that's a different issue.

and you think I go out of my way to bash Apple? I never ****ing enter the Apple threads...

Ah, don't forget, if you don't like what someone says on Neowin, you're instantly a "Basher" and are "slamming" them. :p

The moaning and groaning with XP was more than just the UI. It was unstable (and still is). It had massive security flaws (and still does), and at the time, it required (then) more powerful hardware.

XP was the first attempt to consumerise NT, most of the complaints I recall were about driver issues and software compatibility, the switch from 9x to NT caused a fair share of reliability issues.

When Vista/7 released people were like XP is king, there's no need to upgrade.

When XP released people were like 2000 is king, XP is pathetic and there's no need to upgrade.

If MS listened to the people everytime they made a new OS we'd still be on 3.1.

I recall the reaction to Windows 7 being pretty positive all told. In fact Windows 7 worked well because they listened to the feedback they got during the Beta

Windows 8 is a nice extension of 7. Initial experience with 8 was confusing but it has settled down nicely.