Best Buy to permanently price-match rivals

I wonder how Best Buy verifys the competitor's lower price -- are they going to phone them each time ?

if its a small difference they wont even verify, if its a large discount they will check the web and ensure the product is available to be shipped from that online retailler, all POS machines have browser capabilities. BBY also keeps up to date tabs on retailers and know most of the deals people will be coming in to price match, if its a retail store they will call to make sure its instock so they can match it

Haters going to hate. I wish no business to go out of business. One small step for BB and they need more steps to be more competitive. Once online tax become mandatory in all states, it will be nice for everyone to have a fair shake.

Just my thoughts...

Starting of the Going out of Business sale....

B.S

Haters going to hate. I wish no business to go out of business. One small step for BB and they need more steps to be more competitive. Once online tax become mandatory in all states, it will be nice for everyone to have a fair shake.

Just my thoughts...

This, i dont know what the hell is up with the hate.

Yeah, right now it isn't law, so they can't fine you or get you on it. It is a news article at best.

current law regarding collecting sales tax over the internet if you are selling:

http://www.sba.gov/c...x-over-internet

they are lobbying for this to become standard across the country.

http://www.governing...-sales-tax.html

To my knowledge, it isn't required nor can they really prove what you bought online so it is a trust based system. The only way that they can make this stick is if they do this across the board, which is why federal government is getting involved. IMO, it is a bunch of hooey. Just another finger to get in my pocket.

It varies by State. I'm not going to look up NY because I don't care to go that far, but in PA you are required to remit all sales tax for online purchases as a Use Tax.

When sales tax is not charged by the seller on a taxable item or service, the consumer is required by law to report and remit use tax to the Department of Revenue. Purchases made over the Internet, through toll-free numbers, from mail-order catalogs and from out-of-state locations are examples of purchases subject to use tax when sales tax is not paid. The tax rate is the same as the sales tax, 6 percent state, plus 1 percent local tax for items purchased in, delivered to or used in Allegheny County or 2 percent local tax in Philadelphia.

Source: PA Dept. of Revenue

Most people ignore this I'm sure for the reasons previously cited. The law may be hard to enforce, but not remitting it is still illegal, at least in PA.

To be honest, I don't get the hoopla about paying taxes. I have no respect for anyone who doesn't pay their taxes. I see them as nothing more than disgusting people really. As you're forcing others to pick up your tab resulting in higher taxes for those who do pay.

If you don't like the taxes in your state then move to a state that has lower taxes. You can't have your cake and eat it too...

It varies by State. I'm not going to look up NY because I don't care to go that far, but in PA you are required to remit all sales tax for online purchases as a Use Tax.

Source: PA Dept. of Revenue

Most people ignore this I'm sure for the reasons previously cited. The law may be hard to enforce, but not remitting it is still illegal, at least in PA.

To be honest, I don't get the hoopla about paying taxes. I have no respect for anyone who doesn't pay their taxes. I see them as nothing more than disgusting people really. As you're forcing others to pick up your tab resulting in higher taxes for those who do pay.

If you don't like the taxes in your state then move to a state that has lower taxes. You can't have your cake and eat it too...

the reason you don't pay it and why people don't want to pay that sales tax is because it has nothing to do with you. The money from the sales tax goes to the government of a place you don't even live in. Im not going to give the state of California my money to do the stupid stuff they do, im not giving them any money if I don't have any say in how its used.

In Ontario, Amazon.ca adds all the taxes to purchases. However, over $25 and shipping is free.

Now, relating to the article, some people will continue to buy online regardless whether its cheaper or the same in store. My friend is a perfect example. We both buy Razer products. Even though its cheaper at Best Buy or Canada Computers, he still goes to Amazon.ca to purchase it. His reasoning is that it is 2 clicks away. I asked him why if he goes to the store anyway... he stated that he is too lazy to go and wait in line, and pay for it. He rather just go straight home, 2 mouse clicks and wait. I have yet to purchase anything online unless its from EBay.

It's not so much Best Buy's pricing that's the problem, but rather some computer parts I purchase usually aren't readily available at large brick and mortar outlets. Hardware parts is a good example (keeping in mind that desktops are on the wane, doubt they'd think about us custom building folk). And even with parts that are available in both BB and the local shops, their selection is poor.

Electronics is questionable when I see how poor of a job BB does at taping back together returned goods. They need to be tougher on return policies if they want to discourage "borrowing" of goods (and then turning off dozens of customers who refuse to buy that product given its haphazard restitching job). All they need is to copy the smaller stores and hit people with restock fees if the product they're returning requires significant work to return to resellable condition.

For large appliances - TVs, fridges, washing machines - I can see them maintaining an edge over online outlets. Reduces the risk of damage caused by shipping by shifting that responsibility to the customer, and if it is defective it's much easier to sort out a replacement in B&M versus wasting time with an RMA.

they'll be going out of business soon....i'm not looking for anything currently, but after reading this thought i'd just price check a tv at random

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+46%26%2334%3B+Class+-+LED+-+1080p+-+120Hz+-+Smart+-+3D+-+HDTV/4835032.p?id=1218540191137&skuId=4835032 for $999

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN46ES6500-46-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B007B9PM4W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361782862&sr=1-1&keywords=UN46ES6500FXZA $897

They need to face the fact that the public has finally wised up.

• Like 1

the reason you don't pay it and why people don't want to pay that sales tax is because it has nothing to do with you. The money from the sales tax goes to the government of a place you don't even live in. Im not going to give the state of California my money to do the stupid stuff they do, im not giving them any money if I don't have any say in how its used.

:| Err what?

Sales/Use Tax is remitted to the state you reside in (or the purchase was made in if you are physically out of state). You wouldn't be remitting any tax to California from an internet purchase unless you had it shipped to California.

they'll be going out of business soon....i'm not looking for anything currently, but after reading this thought i'd just price check a tv at random

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+46%26%2334%3B+Class+-+LED+-+1080p+-+120Hz+-+Smart+-+3D+-+HDTV/4835032.p?id=1218540191137&skuId=4835032 for $999

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN46ES6500-46-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B007B9PM4W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361782862&sr=1-1&keywords=UN46ES6500FXZA $897

They need to face the fact that the public has finally wised up.

what? you posted two links to the same tigerdirect, and i hope you do realize that tv says REFURBISHED i wouldnt let my worst enemy buy a refurbished samsung what were you trying to prove with those links? Again if you can find it cheaper online why wouldnt you go into an ACTUAL store and pricematch it to have it right then and there rather than wait for shipping, possibly damage it shipping it, or get a DOA because its refurbished?

I also think they did "wise up" as you put it thats why this is a permanent policy instead of just testing it... did you even read the article or did you just see the title and think "well time to bash a company i personally dont like even if what i dont like has nothing to do with the article?"

and that isnt even a TV(UN55EH6030) carried by BBY

what? you posted two links to the same tigerdirect, and i hope you do realize that tv says REFURBISHED i wouldnt let my worst enemy buy a refurbished samsung what were you trying to prove with those links? Again if you can find it cheaper online why wouldnt you go into an ACTUAL store and pricematch it to have it right then and there rather than wait for shipping, possibly damage it shipping it, or get a DOA because its refurbished?

I also think they did "wise up" as you put it thats why this is a permanent policy instead of just testing it... did you even read the article or did you just see the title and think "well time to bash a company i personally dont like even if what i dont like has nothing to do with the article?"

and that isnt even a TV(UN55EH6030) carried by BBY

Links fixed...my point stands

Links fixed...my point stands

incorrect, you didnt even prove a point you put up two links and said man bby is still dumb i can find it cheaper. THATS exactly what this article is about, you can pricematch, and purchase somewhere you can walk into. What exactly is your point that you feel "it stands?"

Because you can find a tv cheaper online BBY is going out of business? I dont get it and im sure i wont get a logical adult conversation out of this from you but rather Best Buy sucks, Worst Buy, going out of business my point stands!

edit: Looking at it again you still arent comparing apples to apples, you are comparing a Brand new in box tv from BBY to a refurbished one on amazon brand new that is 997 from amazon, your link is to a REFURBISHED. If you are going to try and defend yourself as to why a company sucks or is going out of business please double check your source and what you post, otherwise you only look like an immature fool.

So your point doesnt stand...

incorrect, you didnt even prove a point you put up two links and said man bby is still dumb i can find it cheaper. THATS exactly what this article is about, you can pricematch, and purchase somewhere you can walk into. What exactly is your point that you feel "it stands?"

Because you can find a tv cheaper online BBY is going out of business? I dont get it and im sure i wont get a logical adult conversation out of this from you but rather Best Buy sucks, Worst Buy, going out of business my point stands!

edit: Looking at it again you still arent comparing apples to apples, you are comparing a Brand new in box tv from BBY to a refurbished one on amazon brand new that is 997 from amazon, your link is to a REFURBISHED. If you are going to try and defend yourself as to why a company sucks or is going out of business please double check your source and what you post, otherwise you only look like an immature fool.

So your point doesnt stand...

Whatever makes you feel good, if you fail to read the article and get the whole point of the thread, nothing I can say is going to open your eyes. The Amazon link is new, the refurbs are around $800, they're linked there but not the item I linked to.

But yeah they're going out of business soon....

Best Buy cutting 400 jobs to save $150 million

Struggling electronics retailer Best Buy Co. Inc. said Tuesday that it is cutting 400 employees at its Richfield, Minn., headquarters in an effort to save $150 million.

Most of the savings won?t come from salaries, according to a company statement, and for now, the so-called Blue Shirt sales associates are protected from the ax. No store closures are planned ... yet.

Why all the caveats? Tuesday?s reductions -- Best Buy?s way of ?enhancing the focus on the company?s core business, removing management layers and eliminating operational inefficiencies" -- is just the first phase of several.

the amazon link is not new at that price are you really that ignorant? try and buy it new for that price its 977 i see this is going no where and im done here, you still cant even get me a link comparing two of the same product...

the link you posted defaults to "$977.00

+ Free Shipping

In Stock. Sold by Paul's TV"

dp8tvc.jpg

4u8m5z.jpg

" Used: from $800.34 Refurbished: from $879.99 New: Price not displayed Why?

"

Adding new in cart is 977

the amazon link is not new at that price are you really that ignorant? try and buy it new for that price its 977 i see this is going no where and im done here, you still cant even get me a link comparing two of the same product...

the link you posted defaults to "$977.00

+ Free Shipping

In Stock. Sold by Paul's TV"

" Used: from $800.34 Refurbished: from $879.99 New: Price not displayed Why?

"

Adding new in cart is 977

It was 897 when I linked it, when I would've gladly purchased it rather than at Best Buy.

Another item at random--both new, screenshots for you, so tomorrow if the price changes you won't bust a vein...

http://www.bestbuy.c...1&skuId=6941809

post-8780-0-49310500-1361940646.png

http://www.amazon.co...#productDetails

post-8780-0-70286700-1361940654.png

I'm a silver member and I go to best buy a lot (that's an understatement). I also order a ton from Amazon and New Egg. But if I am at best buy and see something that I want, I use the Amazon scanner app and see what the price they have it there. I then talk to the sales/manager/who ever is there to price match it and there is zero issue. They double check sure, but no issues. Last December, I was standing in line for a Galaxy III phone for $50. I wanted an Otter case for it while I was there. They wanted to 39.99 for it (or some outlandish price). I scanned it and saw it for around 14 bucks. Showed it to the mobile manager, his mouth dropped, but he price matched it. People around me asked what I did, next thing I know they are grabbing things they wanted for their phone and scanning it with their newly downloaded app and also getting price matched. Last month I got a smoking deal on a laptop. I knew what I wanted. Gave them the sku and they looked it up. They ordered it but when I showed them I found at a lower price, they guy said that was fine... but he went silent starting at a screen for a minute. I asked what he was doing, told me he looked at Amazon.com and found it for a lower price than what I showed him and got it that way (I have the receipt, I can prove this). I save over 300 bucks on a Asus ROG laptop. Not bad at all. I have zero bitching about them for the most part. Maybe I'm a rarity in this case, but I've been happy with them.

1. There's often nothing wrong with refurbished devices. A lot of them are in fact pretty much new and what happens is some guy buys a tv/computer/phone etc and then realizes he doesn't like it as much as he thought he would so he returns it. Now the company can no longer sell the product as new since it was taken out of the box, so they have to sell it as refurbished.

2. Amazon actually has great customer service (unlike best buy). Get a product that's damaged during shipping? Send them an email, they'll ship you a new one with 1/2 day shipping for free without any questions asked. Of course it only applies to products shipped / fulfilled by Amazon, if you're buying it from another seller then their customer service will vary.

3. Depending on where you live you can save money by buying it online because you don't pay taxes. A lot of places also do free shipping above a certain price too.

It was 897 when I linked it, when I would've gladly purchased it rather than at Best Buy.

Another item at random--both new, screenshots for you, so tomorrow if the price changes you won't bust a vein...

http://www.bestbuy.c...1&skuId=6941809

post-8780-0-49310500-1361940646.png

http://www.amazon.co...#productDetails

post-8780-0-70286700-1361940654.png

you are such a load of BS its hilarious it was never that price when you linked it, never you just cant admit you are wrong for using that tv as an example and keep coming up with nonsense

you are such a load of BS its hilarious it was never that price when you linked it, never you just cant admit you are wrong for using that tv as an example and keep coming up with nonsense

Enjoy your job with the Geek Squad, but I'd seriously start putting in applications elsewhere. :)