• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#16 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 19 February 2013 - 17:02

Considering there is netflix for android, and I am pretty sure Netflix does work on Ubuntu it should work.

#17 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Apple iPhone 4S

Posted 19 February 2013 - 17:19

Fixed the thread title, since the hardware is a Nexus 10.

Looks really slick and smooth. (Y)

#18 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 19 February 2013 - 18:05

Lol is it called 'android'?
Sorry, had to do it.

#19 matt4pack

matt4pack

Neowinian

Posted 19 February 2013 - 18:14

Does this run on ARM or x86? Don't really see anything great about it and we already have a linux based tablet os. Not sure we need another.

#20 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 19 February 2013 - 18:16

Ooh, that could be something pretty great, guys at XDA have been porting Ubuntu to the TF101 but so far it is not good enough for a daily for me to wipe my Droid yet

I did not know that. Still have my TF101. What problems does Ubuntu have on it?

#21 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 February 2013 - 18:17

So with Microsoft creating Metro for its platforms, and Canonical creating Unity for its platforms, anyone else still not believe me, when I say this stuff isn't going away?

It won't be long before Google and Apple follow suit.

Canonical aren't stupid enough to force it upon their desktop OS and make it impossible for users to get rid of. Unity is by no means great but I still find it to be a lot more usable than Metro, but Ubuntu are still developing for tablets and smartphones separately as they actually seem to realise that bastardisation isn't a good idea.

#22 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 19 February 2013 - 18:23

I did not know that. Still have my TF101. What problems does Ubuntu have on it?

Last time I checked, they had no hardware acceleration for the UI and there were issues with audio iirc, that was a while ago though so things might have been fixed since then

The instructions to flash it were fairly time consuming too and required an old Android ROM to act as dualboot too,

Something about having to boot into recovery to boot Ubuntu too, enough to put me off

#23 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 February 2013 - 18:30

User preference. Swipe from left on Surface gets you the apps you're running now. It's a fantastic system. And I'd hate my Surface without search and share charm functionality, I seriously depend on it now.

Yeah sorry I meant launch apps, not the apps running.

#24 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 19 February 2013 - 18:38

Canonical aren't stupid enough to force it upon their desktop OS and make it impossible for users to get rid of. Unity is by no means great but I still find it to be a lot more usable than Metro, but Ubuntu are still developing for tablets and smartphones separately as they actually seem to realise that bastardisation isn't a good idea.

and better yet. as the video stated the UI steps up to the tablet UI if you plug your phone into a tablet (like you can do with the tabfone) then steps up again to the Unity desktop if you connect a keyboard and mouse

this is a concept that i really like and am glad they are finally implementing it

#25 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 February 2013 - 18:44

Last time I checked, they had no hardware acceleration for the UI and there were issues with audio iirc, that was a while ago though so things might have been fixed since then

The instructions to flash it were fairly time consuming too and required an old Android ROM to act as dualboot too,

Something about having to boot into recovery to boot Ubuntu too, enough to put me off

Yea, screw that. Doesnt sound like it is worth the trouble. Thanks for the info.

#26 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 19 February 2013 - 18:50

Yea, screw that. Doesnt sound like it is worth the trouble. Thanks for the info.

Maybe once the Ubuntu tablets hit the shelves the devs might be able to take the bootloader and drivers and make it easier for other tablets to run it too

Fingers crossed anyway, Ubuntu on a tablet would be very nice

And if you haven't tried it already, Team EOS3 Build #81 JellyBean and KAT Kernel #69 turn the TF101 into a flying machine

#27 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 19 February 2013 - 18:53

Maybe once the Ubuntu tablets hit the shelves the devs might be able to take the bootloader and drivers and make it easier for other tablets to run it too

And if you haven't tried it already, Team EOS3 Build #81 JellyBean and KAT Kernel #69 turn the TF101 into a flying machine

well considering that the ubuntu os uses the same drivers as android from what I've heard, it shouldn't be too hard to port it to other devices :)

#28 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 February 2013 - 18:55

I have not really turned on my transformer in a looong time. Running an earlier AOKP JB build ATM. But I will give this a try. Is #81 4.2.1 or 4.2.2?

#29 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 February 2013 - 18:56

and better yet. as the video stated the UI steps up to the tablet UI if you plug your phone into a tablet (like you can do with the tabfone) then steps up again to the Unity desktop if you connect a keyboard and mouse

this is a concept that i really like and am glad they are finally implementing it

Which would have been the smart way to design Windows 8 IMO. Make the tablet UI switchable rather than forcing it upon us all.

#30 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 19 February 2013 - 19:00

I have not really turned on my transformer in a looong time. Running an earlier AOKP JB build ATM. But I will give this a try. Is #81 4.2.1 or 4.2.2?

4.1.2 JB

I've tried the EOS4 ROMs which are now upto to 4.2.2 but they have a problem with the UI / launcher, unless you hide the navigation bars the homescreens are laggy, with EOS3 #81 everything is 100% buttery smooth

You can get around the issue using 3rd party launchers but I am not keen on any of them, so until they fix that, I`m sticking with 4.1.2

Posted Image

well considering that the ubuntu os uses the same drivers as android from what I've heard, it shouldn't be too hard to port it to other devices :)

Ah yep I heard that too, good stuff, I'd forgotten about that, roll on Ubuntu :)