illinois fermi lab inherently unstable future of space and time

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,029 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:03

BOSTON – A subatomic particle discovered last year that may be the long-sought Higgs boson might doom our universe to an unfortunate end, researchers say.

The mass of the particle, which was uncovered at the world's largest particle accelerator — the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Geneva — is a key ingredient in a calculation that portends the future of space and time.

"This calculation tells you that many tens of billions of years from now there'll be a catastrophe," Joseph Lykken, a theoretical physicist at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, Ill., said Monday, Feb. 18, at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

"It may be the universe we live in is inherently unstable, and at some point billions of years from now it's all going to get wiped out," added Lykken, a collaborator on one of the LHC's experiments.

The Higgs boson particle is a manifestation of an energy field pervading the universe called the Higgs field, which is thought to explain why particles have mass. After searching for decades for proof that this field and particle existed, physicists at the LHC announced in July 2012 that they'd discovered a new particle whose properties strongly suggest it is the Higgs boson.

The mass of the new particle is about 126 billion electron volts, or about 126 times the mass of the proton. If that particle really is the Higgs, its mass turns out to be just about what's needed to make the universe fundamentally unstable, in a way that would cause it to end catastrophically in the far future.

Posted Image

more

#2 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,632 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:06

"It may be the universe we live in is inherently unstable, and at some point billions of years from now it's all going to get wiped out," added Lykken, a collaborator on one of the LHC's experiments.

Another big bang.

#3 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:06

"It may be the universe we live in is inherently unstable, and at some point billions of years from now it's all going to get wiped out," added Lykken, a collaborator on one of the LHC's experiments

I remember reading that several ancient cultures believed that the Universe has been wiped out several times before, and then recreated. I'm not sure how they would know that.

#4 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,029 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:08

Finally -- I'll be alone. :p

#5 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:15

You don't have to end the universe to do that......do you? :p

#6 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 16,903 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:51

Another big bang.

Some are calling it the Big Slurp.

#7 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

• 4,342 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:02

here's how it's going to end

1 million years from now our galaxy is going to collide with Andromeda in what will be beautify but likely uneventful event as billions of stars simply pass by each other

some billions of years from now the interior of the earth will cool to such a point to no longer support the magnetic shield
life will end right then

after that the sun is going to balloon and encompass the earth.. sooner or later the sun will settle into a white dwarf stage where it will literally just simmer for billions of years..

but long before it cools all the way down the expansion of the universe will increase to such a speed as to literally break matter and everything ceases to exist

the end.

#8 javagreen

javagreen

Neowinian

• 1,439 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:07

Yeah. Like format + reinstall.

Yup.

#9 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,360 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:16

here's how it's going to end

1 million years from now our galaxy is going to collide with Andromeda in what will be beautify but likely uneventful event as billions of stars simply pass by each other

some billions of years from now the interior of the earth will cool to such a point to no longer support the magnetic shield
life will end right then

after that the sun is going to balloon and encompass the earth.. sooner or later the sun will settle into a white dwarf stage where it will literally just simmer for billions of years..

but long before it cools all the way down the expansion of the universe will increase to such a speed as to literally break matter and everything ceases to exist

the end.

and long before the earth dies, mankind has spread across the universe on many new planets, making the death of Earth and Sol irrelevant. By the time our galaxy dies we will have move on to new galaxies, by the time the universe dies we will have ascended to energy beings or to another dimension or created some fancy shield bubble allowing us to survive and preserve part of the universe artificially.

after all the technology we will have in a mere 500 years from now would to us today appear as magic. provided we don't get wiped out by angry aliens first, I'd say mankind has an uncanny ability to persevere and survive most things. not that whatever we are when we do any of the things describe above will be called "human" anymore by our standard today.

#10 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,382 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:26

So, is this the part were we start running around, waving our arms in the air and crying "DOOOOOOM!" whilst also getting completely hammered and boinking the nearest willing pretty girl? :p

Coz like, I haven't been to a decent doom party since the end of the cold war! I miss those!

#11 Kane

Kane

• 2,272 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:30

Sometimes to create, one must first destroy.

#12 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• 2,559 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:30

Not this "We're doomed in a billion years" talk again. C'mon stop already, who here gives a flying **** what happens in a billion years? Not me, not my children nor my grand grand grandchildren.

#13 +ngc891

ngc891

seething

• 163 posts
  • Phone: WP8

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:05

bring it on.

#14 Soldiers33

Soldiers33

Neowinian Senior

• 2,432 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:13

many billions years from now? that is the nmost stupid thing ive heard of course it will end by then.

#15 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:18

I'll worry about it when it happens.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!