Photo

21 replies to this topic

#16 +Tech Greek

Tech Greek

Neowinian

• 613 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:58

I'll do two backups on a drive that comes in with failing sectors...

First, always ignore dead sectors, backup sector by sector.

Immediately, start a new backup, sector by sector with a retry cycle set per sector (Acronis does this). If it spends 30 minutes on one sector and can't recover it, skips it. This will take many days but sometimes I can remake a computer that wouldn't even boot before work (after transferring this backup to a new hard drive and repairing the files) - if not, the first backup is there.

#17 dafox

dafox

Neowinian

• 45 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:59

I like to use Roadkils Unstoppable copier for this kind of thing.

Windows does have a good enough backup solution built in but nobody seems to use it or know about it! Well at least that will keep making me money :p

#18 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,174 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 14:24

I never had to ignore any bad sectors, no warning came up during image copy and it was sucessful.

I didn't do a sector by sector recovery either, I choose the first option which was "Image restore (disks or partitions)". Will that make a difference in result, should I recover the image sector by sector and try again?

Did you do a sector by sector backup?

#19 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 26,174 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 18:42

Last week, I got an XP machine in with a bad hard drive. S.M.A.R.T warnings were going off. Mostly in sector relocation. The drive would not boot, and the partition was unreadable.

He had lot of documents and pictures that were of course not backed up.

So I tried this method as a last resort.

True image took about 1 hour before the process of cloning would even start. Took about 20 mins per screen. The actual cloning took 4 to 5 days.

Once it finished I ran a chkdsk /f c:

the documents and settings folder was missing completely but all of his stuff was in the found.00 folder under another sub folder

I got back all of his photos, music and documents, emails, favorites and desktop. Total amount recovered 17 GB.

He told me when he came today, that he was loosing sleep over his data being gone. He said there was some photos of his dad who had passed away.

He now has all of his data back on a new computer PLUS he is now setup with an external hard drive doing nightly backups.

#20 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

• 742 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 00:30

Warwagon what software did you use? Did you hook the drive up internally or via USB in a caddy?

I honestly thought hard drives in such a state were beyond the point of having anything recovered off them

#21 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 26,174 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 00:38

Warwagon what software did you use? Did you hook the drive up internally or via USB in a caddy?

I honestly thought hard drives in such a state were beyond the point of having anything recovered off them

Hooked it up via Sata to my repair computer and booted a copy of True Image 2013. It took 20 or 30 mins for True Image just to initialize the drive.

#22 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

• 742 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 00:52

Great.. Heart warming how you got the poor guys precious pictures back. I've used true image 2013 to restore backed up OS images but never this. Will give it a whirl when I next come across a fubar drive :)