The new Dualshock PS4 controller; Touch PAD, not screen

My thumb... as well the thumbs of my friends doesn't point upwards, the natural relaxed position is actually an angled one, if you ask me, microsoft did put the directional buttons where the analog should go by two reasons: 1.- they wanted to differentiate from their competitors (note how nintendo with his classic controller addon for wii has also the same layout as sony, wii u is another matter) 2.- they directional buttons are plainly bad, they put the analog stick upwards so that you would focus on it rather than the legacy directional buttons.

BTW, I play games since atari 2600 was released, every single controller that I've hold has the directional buttons where the dualshock 4 has them.

And the controller alone is reason for me to go and buy it, I use my DualShock 3 for non FPS games on the PC and it rocks (I find the triggers not perfect but they are alright by me, allowing me to play games like grid or Dirt 3 on full manual) if anything, I think that's the first thing I'll buy when it's released, since I only intent to buy the PS3 after a Tales or Falcom game is released for it (Or less probably, any Guity Gear Series)

Err, I think you need to rethink what you've said. Yeah your thumb is at an angle, but it's pointing upwards. It's not at the higher angle (almost 90 degrees) which the PS controller requires you to bend it at to get to the left thumbstick.

This is the natural way to hold a controller, but since left analog is used more than directionals, it's not efficient:

windowslivewritersonytunnelsyndromeps3controllertoosmall-8d24ps3hand2.jpg

And old controllers don't compare to the newer controllers since old controllers didn't have analog. The directionals were located in the same place as the Dualshock because those were the buttons you use the most. Today, directional buttons aren't used much, so it's to the failure of Sony in prioritizing it wrong. It's unnatural to the curves of the hand and you really can't dispute that

It will since you still have to bend your thumb in an unnatural way to get to the thumbstick.

Xbox figured that out, so I'm surprised Sony didn't copy the same style.

As I asked before in another thread -- most action games now use both sticks, one for movement, one for camera control, how is it unnatural for your left hand to be in that position, but not your right?

• Like 2

As I asked before in another thread -- most action games now use both sticks, one for movement, one for camera control, how is it unnatural for your left hand to be in that position, but not your right?

That's one hell of a good point O_O

I'm not really sure what the point of the touchpad is. It seems a lot like the slider bar in the guitars that came with GH: World Tour - new form of input for the sake of having a new form of input, but for all practical purposes, useless. Share button is a cool idea though.

I like the controller, I just hope they don't make the touch pad required to navigate the gui like they did the vitia.

I find it really annoying using the d-pad to play a game and then having touch the screen to save or not being able to use the

p-pad to navigate the home screen at all.

I like the controller, I just hope they don't make the touch pad required to navigate the gui like they did the vitia.

I find it really annoying using the d-pad to play a game and then having touch the screen to save or not being able to use the

p-pad to navigate the home screen at all.

The vita has been patched to allow you to use the buttons/analogue to navigate.

i was just about to post this, i think that was changed at the end of last year wasn't it?

Sigh....why so much social media stuff? What happens when you accidentally click the Share button mid-game? Will it take you out of the game and take you somewhere to Post on facebook?

You hit cancel and move the **** on,

i was just about to post this, i think that was changed at the end of last year wasn't it?

Yeah, but let's be honest... It isn't exactly the most elegant navigation solution, is it?

Sigh....why so much social media stuff? What happens when you accidentally click the Share button mid-game? Will it take you out of the game and take you somewhere to Post on facebook?

That would be idiotic.Let's hope not. Taking you out of a game would be a terrible implementation. Maybe you set up your FB/Twitter/Myspace (LOL)/ accounts and when you hit share it will upload screenshots, video, trophy info, etc?

Yeah, but let's be honest... It isn't exactly the most elegant navigation solution, is it?

it works just as you would expect it to, what's there not to be elegant about?

it works just as you would expect it to, what's there not to be elegant about?

It looks pretty hideous. Unless they've changed it since I last used it.

It looks pretty hideous. Unless they've changed it since I last used it.

i say the same thing about the iPhone :p

seriously though, i'll agree with you there, it's a little to iphone'y and could look and be laid out a little better

but that aside it still works just fine (i just wish they'd freakin fix the notification options. I have it set not to give me notifications when the live areas get refreshed yet i still get notifications for them)

The issue about the sticks to me is invalid. I've never felt it to be an awkward stretch for my thumbs to hit those sticks until after 6-8 hours of solid gameplay. I really dont like the look of it. It looks like a poor MadCatz design.

The issue about the sticks to me is invalid. I've never felt it to be an awkward stretch for my thumbs to hit those sticks until after 6-8 hours of solid gameplay. I really dont like the look of it. It looks like a poor MadCatz design.

i think it looks alright

though in the end it really comes down to how it will feel once we get it into our hands