This is definitely not the case
The Current PS3 controller is fine,
and as I said on the main page, I hate it when companies feel compelled to make change for the sake of change.
And this feels exactly like that, it wont have any practical use but sure as hell will raise the price and maybe make it more awkward to use...
I cant see how your mean to use this along with the analog sticks with your thumb constantly hitting them..
1. The controller has been made much wider and the sticks are further apart for those with larger hands.
2. The vibration motors have been made larger for more intense rumble feedback. (which was said on stage).
3. The DS4 has a bigger 1000mAh battery for longer use. (Newer DS3's have 500mAh originally 300mAh).
4. The grips have been extended and rubberized for a better fit.
5. The controller has a headphone jack for the bundled headset. (just like the Xbox 360)
6. The L2/R2 triggers have been refined and made concave for a better feel.
7. The dual analog sticks are concave now and have new mechanics. (albeit to reduce dead zones).
8. The D-pad buttons have been made larger.
So how in the hell is this change for the sake of change? all of these things are major improvements that benefit the experience for the user.