Photo

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#31 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:00

Oh please. First understand that a GPUs "power" does not translate to graphics output, just don't even try... Even if the PS4's GPU manages to have 4 times as much "power" you can rest assure the new xbox will drive a better picture quality.

lolwat?

Less power does not equal better picture quality.

#32 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:01

a little off topic, but this post is meant more for killzone gamers anyway... omg did you guys see the video they had for shadow fall? I loved that mutli purpose assault rifle, bot to mention the new interation mechanics.

#33 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:03

lolwat?

Less power does not equal better picture quality.

Point is that, you can't irectly translate the amount of randomlydecidedperformanceFLOPS into real world performance. if that was the case all our computers woudl be running RISC CPU's, which isn't the case. On top of that, we don't know what the final hardware of the 360 is, and it also has some new unknown hardware that's supposed to take a lot of load off the GPU.

#34 Osiris

Osiris

Neowinian God!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 930

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:10

Was 4K support confirmed or we just going off the rumours from the Killzone?

#35 REM2000

REM2000

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:21

I don't really understand the big hoohah about not showing the actual console, the spec's and the controller are the two most important aspects of the console. The spec's to let you know how it will perform and what to expect graphic wise and the controller which is the primary method of interaction with the console. I don't really care what the case looks like, as others have mentioned the Xbox 1 and the 360 are not exactly going to win any design awards as they were hideous lumps of cheap plastic, the slim is a lot better and the design has come togeather, but out of the two the PS3 has always looked better.

As for the spec's themselves, it doesn't really matter, both the Xbox and the PS4 will be roughly the same, they were in my eyes when running games on each. The only thing i would want to see is more RAM (check) as i believe this will help games like skyrim and GTA to have more assets/items on screen at any one time leading to a more believable and livable world. The other thing i would like to see is true HD 1080P resolution from games, get rid of some of the jaggered edges and just makes things a lot sharper, it's the one difference i can tell straight away from using a PC to a console.

The rest i don't really care, they will both do Wii type movement, they will both be roughly the same graphics wise, they will both do the same thing online wise.

Although i would say as a gold subscriber im very annoyed to get three or four adverts when switching on my xbox and going to the dash. If im paying for the service i shouldnt see ad's, loads of lovefilm and other crap on startup, it wouldn't be so bad if it was adverts for new games, but the rest is absolute crap. They should either go the ad way where live is suplimented by adverts or if you pay for gold it removes the adverts.

#36 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 21 February 2013 - 13:21

I love competition to bring us great things, but is it bad that I want the PS4 to blow the next Xbox out of the water even, if only for the fact that it'd make my decision that much easier? I don't want to pay for multiplayer, I don't have time for another added expense for something I may or may not use that often. I just want it to work. Don't get me wrong, I think the 360 has the greatest controller ever, and I like the software layout too. I'm not a hater by any means, I'm just being realistic here in terms of my money, especially considering the recent discovery of all the benefits one would get out of Playstation Plus, if I decided to subscribe to such a thing. I say this also as someone who receives discounts on 360 games and various Microsoft products as it stands too.

Posted Image
(picture just for lulz)

Hmm kinda funny but doesn't take into account launch price difference and console updates over the years. (499 vs 299)

I don't really understand the big hoohah about not showing the actual console, the spec's and the controller are the two most important aspects of the console. The spec's to let you know how it will perform and what to expect graphic wise and the controller which is the primary method of interaction with the console. I don't really care what the case looks like, as others have mentioned the Xbox 1 and the 360 are not exactly going to win any design awards as they were hideous lumps of cheap plastic, the slim is a lot better and the design has come togeather, but out of the two the PS3 has always looked better.

As for the spec's themselves, it doesn't really matter, both the Xbox and the PS4 will be roughly the same, they were in my eyes when running games on each. The only thing i would want to see is more RAM (check) as i believe this will help games like skyrim and GTA to have more assets/items on screen at any one time leading to a more believable and livable world. The other thing i would like to see is true HD 1080P resolution from games, get rid of some of the jaggered edges and just makes things a lot sharper, it's the one difference i can tell straight away from using a PC to a console.

The rest i don't really care, they will both do Wii type movement, they will both be roughly the same graphics wise, they will both do the same thing online wise.

Although i would say as a gold subscriber im very annoyed to get three or four adverts when switching on my xbox and going to the dash. If im paying for the service i shouldnt see ad's, loads of lovefilm and other crap on startup, it wouldn't be so bad if it was adverts for new games, but the rest is absolute crap. They should either go the ad way where live is suplimented by adverts or if you pay for gold it removes the adverts.

PS3 has always looked better? only if you like barbecue grills. The first Xbox 360 design is now almost iconic whereas first PS3 was just generic sony design. It is a matter of opinion though so no point going back and forth.

#37 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 February 2013 - 13:32

You're not going to be forced to use FB or Twitter or anything else.

You'll be able to sign into facebook and share stuff but it isn't going to be mandatory.

Besides, there are plenty of TVs that support Facebook and Twitter (SAMSUNG's Smart TVs come to mind - my mother has the 40" model); however, I don't know of any that require it - not even the Asia-only models.

#38 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

Posted 21 February 2013 - 13:33

I think its because of a last minute spec change. I think they saw the rumoured next xbox ram amount and upped theres at the last minute.

#39 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 February 2013 - 13:36

Hmm kinda funny but doesn't take into account launch price difference and console updates over the years. (499 vs 299)

If you've been paying for Gold since 2006, you've spent ~$300 right there.

PS3 has always looked better? only if you like barbecue grills. The first Xbox 360 design is now almost iconic whereas first PS3 was just generic sony design. It is a matter of opinion though so no point going back and forth.

The first 360 is iconic for the red ring that appeared on the front of it. Oh, and the Fisher Price designed hard drives.

#40 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 February 2013 - 13:37

The first 360 is iconic for the red ring that appeared on the front of it. Oh, and the Fisher Price designed hard drives.

User friendly design is now fisher price ?... WTF

#41 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 21 February 2013 - 13:42

At the end of the day I think it's worth mentioning, but it's easily justifiable why 8 months before release they're either

a) Not showing all their cards
b) The design still isn't final

People have mentioned that the 8GB of GDDR5 is last minute, but what you have to remember is it's a privilege to live in today's internet world where there aren't really any surprises any more and the gaming world is leak tastic. However, not everything leaked can be taken as fact, especially when it's not picture/video based evidence.

It's fun to discuss leaks, but ultimately they bias actual unveils. We're either sitting with a checklist against prior leaks ticking off what Sony say, or moaning afterwars that a leak isn't true... or doesn't appear to be at the moment. Unless Sony say they were targeting 4GB and changed to 8GB recently, we can't simply say VGleaks proves they're redesigning the PS4 again. VGleaks in now way explained how integrated the gaikai streaming was with all the OS share features - Recording video in the background is memory intensive. At one point 4GB may of been the target, who knows, but to say its undoubtedly true in the past month there has been a bump to 8GB isn't a given, it could of happened, it could've been 8GB for a while. 4GB of GDDR5 was still going to arguably be better than the rumoured 8GB of slower memory in the next Xbox...

Leaks really do spoil us, I truly think if we didn't have rumoured PS4 specs and they announced 8GB of GDDR5 and near 2 TFLOPs those unhappy with the conference would seem more impressed - As we heard about GDDR5 and the teraflop count prior to the event, it undoubtedly takes the wind away a little when we can't say we were surprised.

The memory jump between the PS3 to PS4 is the largest in % scale from any PS generation. 16x I think it is, the next largest I believe was PS1 to PS2 at 14x. I know it's the largest after seeing the stats last night, but my actual multipliers may be slightly wrong this morning.

#42 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 February 2013 - 13:43

Personally I'd be more likely to buy the PS4 if it looked like this

http://www.gameberry.net/kuvat/085.jpg

Though preferably in black, maybe brushed aluminum black. at a standard 19 inches wide.

#43 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 February 2013 - 13:46

User friendly design is now fisher price ?... WTF

There was nothing user friendly about the original 360 drive carrier, it was gigantic. It was a 2.5'', but it's not like you could just take it out and slip it in your pocket.

What's truly amazing about the original 360 is that they had the hard drive on the outside and they still couldn't design a decent ventilation system.

#44 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 February 2013 - 14:16

Why did they announce it if it was not ready?

What does that say to consumers that they need to redesign the motherboard/console but it will still be available at the end of the year?

That tells me to wait for a year or two in order to prevent massive failures like the RRoD in the Xbox.

#45 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 February 2013 - 14:19

it was never designed to be a transportable carrier. even so, it was a LOT easier to remove and carry over to a friend than the PS3 "removable" HDD.

so yes it was user friendly. ANYONE could buy a 360 without a HDD or with a smaller HDD and upgrade when they needed a HDD or a bigger one was available.

and again. the 360 never had a problem with the ventilation system, it had a problem with how the CPU was soldered to the motherboard. causing repeated heat and cold cycles, to break the soldering. This problem slipped through QnA because it required both time and many many many repeated on off cycles with cool off inbetween the appear.

of course Sony just redesigned the PS4 with twice the memory, meaning they need a new motherboard and console design. leaving them open to a similar undetected long term usage fault. since there's no chance they now have enough time to finish a full long term QnA test on the new hardware before it has to go into production.