Is an SSD Drive even worth it?

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#46 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 February 2013 - 15:29

Correct me if I'm wrong but if both mechanical drives and SSDs offered today are SATA-III 6GB/s, how is one faster than the other?

One spins, one doesn't.

It's sort of like comparing a record player to an mp3 player.

#47 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64Ce Pro w/Media nter Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 850 Pro 256GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 970
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 21 February 2013 - 15:38

So after shipping delays and all kinds of other BS my system is almost finally done. I'm just waiting to find a good wireless keyboard and mouse. I'm also in need of a hard drive and I'm thinking about getting a SSD but is it worth it? I don't really NEED the extra speed but I have the money so why not? I DO know I'm not going over 128 GB so the setup would be system files and music and programs on the SSD and extensive movies on a backup drive. But should I just get a fast 1TB drive?

Here are my choices...

OCZ Vector SSD

WD Black 1TB

Thanks for ANY feedback guys and gals.

You'll never go back. You should have a system with USB 3.0 so I'd consider putting your music on an external USB Hard Disk or even Large Flash drive. USB 3.0 is fast. FW800 fast.

I was looking at the Vector to put in my new machine (256GB), but I think I'm going to go with the Samsung 840 Pro. They make all the components themselves and have a 4 core controller. Just the tech geek in me, if I'm going, I'm going all the way. But yes, it's worth it for sure. You'll be booting in 5 seconds. Blink to many times on a restart and you won't be sure you restarted :D.

Nonsense.

I've got a 120GB SSD which I'm using to dual boot OSX and Windows 7, and I even install the massive Battlefield 3 to the Windows partition - and I have plenty of room. However all my music, video, and other games are all located on a different disk.

You beat me to it. Not sure what he was thinking.

Meh... they are just the same, it surely increases loading speed of the OS (by a lot, I won't deny it but once you are on the OS everything feels almost the same as with an HDD) (Win8 SDD and Win7 HDD here in the same laptop)

Take your biggest, slowest loading app, one that pages or reads from disk a lot (game?) play/run it on HD, then off SSD. It makes a significant difference. Unless you have a new MOBO with Intel's cache (uses small SSD to cache HD) it's easy to tell the difference throughout computing.

You will really notice the difference if you are using WIndows 8. Having a 7 second boot up is nice :)

And that's if you have lots of peripherals to initialize. Otherwise, 5. Before I can enter my PIN, I'm up, and connected to wireless.

This thread just made me order one - this one http://www.misco.co....tate-Hard-Drive

That's my current OS drive. You will be pleased.

#48 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 21 February 2013 - 15:42

I have 2 SSDs.

A 120GB Vectex 3 and a 240GB Vertex 2 extended.

I put the os, apps and the few origin games i own on the 120GB drive. I put my steam games and user's folders (music, project) on the 240Gb one. I have a 750MB external eSata HDD for backup, archive and movies purpose.

It's totally worth it imo. Specially with Windows 8. It's blazing fast.

If you get an old Vertex 3 be sure to update the firmware before installing the os. The Vector drive on newegg is too much expensive imo you can surely find better deal. I bought my 120GB Vertex 3 for about the same price 1 year and an half ago (it was on sale) ...

#49 jren207

jren207

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Posted 21 February 2013 - 15:49

If you haven't already bought an SSD, go and get one now. GO NOW! GO! NOW!

Don't think about it twice, get out your money and shove it in the face of a computer component retailer and demand an SSD.

Yes, an SSD is that good!

#50 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 21 February 2013 - 16:00

i have four SSDs and even my oldest, slowest SSD (Vertex 30GB) is still way faster than any hd.

#51 hooko22

hooko22

Neowinian

Posted 21 February 2013 - 16:03

Anyone know if there is a huge difference between, ssd's? I mean is it worth it to pay more for faster speeds or is the difference small?

#52 tim_s

tim_s

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 21 February 2013 - 16:06

From push of the power button to opening IE is 13 seconds for me. Including the "Insist on UltraDURABLE" splash.

I would not recommend OCZ, a lot of the local stores are complaining about the return rate - IF you are looking cheap than "adata" but even then I would splash out on a Samsung (or Seagate) / Intel.

#53 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 21 February 2013 - 16:22

From push of the power button to opening IE is 13 seconds for me. Including the "Insist on UltraDURABLE" splash.

I would not recommend OCZ, a lot of the local stores are complaining about the return rate - IF you are looking cheap than "adata" but even then I would splash out on a Samsung (or Seagate) / Intel.

The OCZ SSD's that don't have Sandforce controllers are fine. And the ones that do have had the issues fixed via the newer firmware versions. I've personally never seen a failure on an OCZ.

#54 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 21 February 2013 - 16:25

I think their Sandforce stuff is indeed what got them their reputation, but their recent Sandforce stuff is fine.

#55 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 February 2013 - 16:26

The new OCZs are fine. A new Agility / Vertex 4 makes for a great drive, although I've noticed their prices are creeping up lately.

#56 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64Ce Pro w/Media nter Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 850 Pro 256GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 970
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 21 February 2013 - 16:27

The OCZ SSD's that don't have Sandforce controllers are fine. And the ones that do have had the issues fixed via the newer firmware versions. I've personally never seen a failure on an OCZ.

I had a 40G Agility 2 fail. It works as an external, but crashes as an internal and I cannot update firmware. The Vectors had a problem where if you lost power to your system, the drive would lose it's firmware. This is supposed to have been fixed in the current firmware. After reading this, I decided to go with the Samsungs. the Pros are currently considered best in class and I like the software that comes with them for monitoring, managing.

#57 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 21 February 2013 - 16:31

I think their Sandforce stuff is indeed what got them their reputation, but their recent Sandforce stuff is fine.

Their recent SSDs use the Indilix controller for the most part i think.

#58 briangw

briangw

The best damn band in the land!!!

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 21 February 2013 - 16:45

I have the Samsung 256 GB one; just got it from Newegg the other day. Please tell me that the data migration tool can migrate your data if your main HDD is partitioned off in two: It's a 1 TB so I have one partition at 500 GBs for Steam games with the OS one at 400+ and there is plenty of space on the OS partition freed up so I can copy it over to the SSD. Am I going to have to shrink the OS partition down to under the size of the SSD because I have 200 GBs used on the OS partition and 232 free on the SSD?

#59 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 February 2013 - 16:52

I have the Samsung 256 GB one; just got it from Newegg the other day. Please tell me that the data migration tool can migrate your data if your main HDD is partitioned off in two: It's a 1 TB so I have one partition at 500 GBs for Steam games with the OS one at 400+ and there is plenty of space on the OS partition freed up so I can copy it over to the SSD. Am I going to have to shrink the OS partition down to under the size of the SSD because I have 200 GBs used on the OS partition and 232 free on the SSD?

I am not sure about transfer kits, but the latest cloning software should be able to make an image from a large HDD and allow you to put it on a small SSD.

#60 Mando

Mando

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Note ICS

Posted 21 February 2013 - 16:54

I would get both. SSD for the OS and frequently used programs and the 1 TB hard drive if you plan to store any media type stuff or other non essential programs. If you have an usable hard drive from an old build, you can re-purpose it in the new build and just get the SSD.

But if you had to pick only one, I would definitely go with the SSD.

or go one better, do 1 or 2 SSDs for OS/apps (RAID0) and a pair of traditional Sata Hdds in RAID0 for "data" I have this config and im always one of the first in a map on BF3, despite still using SATA2 hdds in RAID0 for my game installs. Best of both worlds.

I would suggest doing a clean install, so Windows 7/8 sets TRIM and other options that SSDs negate.