Successfully Managed to Remove RAID0

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 OP Soni

Soni

Neowinian

Posted 22 February 2013 - 17:42

HI Guys,

Might have had a breakthrough, although a confusing one at that....

As mentioned above, i performed a quick test via Western Digital dianostic test and each drive returned fine.

Then last night before going to bed, i did a longer 'extended' test and Drive 1 (operating system) (think the operating systems on that one as don't know if WD number them differently) and when i got up this morning it past, then when i went out to work this morning i started the 'extended' test on Drive 2, and just got in from work and it said 'stopped - too many bad sectors'!!!

But its on Drive No.2 and i'm almost sure its Drive 1 that the operating system is installed on...

I'm just about to download HDTune and run that as suggested,

#17 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 22 February 2013 - 17:50

Bad sectors on any drive can cause crashes, especially if they send bad data to the disk controller. If you open event viewer and look under system you'll probably see some error messages indicated that there were paging errors and / or delayed write failures.

#18 OP Soni

Soni

Neowinian

Posted 22 February 2013 - 18:09

Downloaded HDTune and could only test 1 drive as was only showing 1 in the drop down box, run the test on that drive and it found something cant now remember what as I was confused as wanted to know why it wouldnt show the other drive so went into explorer and the other drive isnt even showing now!!

To summarise, both drives were showing in explorer as I remember saving a notepad file to the d drive (drive 2) once I removed the raid 0 to make sure it worked.

So I then restarted the pc to see if it would show and the pc wont even boot now!

Came up with an error in the flash/dos screen that no boot device can be found or something.

Could that WD diagnostic test have killed the drive completely?

#19 OP Soni

Soni

Neowinian

Posted 22 February 2013 - 18:24

Edit said 'drive 1 not found serial ata sata1 Alert! Failed to detect one or more drives during post strike f1 key to continue f2 to run the setup utlity press f5 to run onboard diagnostics.

So well and truly knackered them drives!

Can those diagnostic tools finish off a poorly drive?

#20 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 24 February 2013 - 00:19

Yes they can but only really if the drive is inheritly bad anyway, i.e. running a diagnostic isn't going to make a drive that fine have mostly bad sectors.
Either RMA the drives if they're within warranty or sell the spares if not or whatnot.

And don't listen to people moaning about RAID0, it does what it's meant to. If you store all your mega important files on a RAID0 then yes, you're an idiot, but if you use RAID0 for what it's meant for (a boot OS drive only with applications/games) then that's fine.

#21 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 24 February 2013 - 00:50

And don't listen to people moaning about RAID0, it does what it's meant to. If you store all your mega important files on a RAID0 then yes, you're an idiot, but if you use RAID0 for what it's meant for (a boot OS drive only with applications/games) then that's fine.

it's not moaning, RAID 0 is fine for what is meant for (performance); the problem is i never saw a RAID 0 configuration purposely made with the perception of the disadvantages in mind, ever; all the RAID 0 configs is saw was in the aftermath of a single HDD failure (meaning the array was gone), with important data going bye bye; much safer is RAID 10.

lol it's not moaning :rofl:

#22 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 25 February 2013 - 00:40

RAID 10 needs 4 drives and you might as well RAID 5/6 them instead, plus this is all being done using your system CPU, so it'll run much slower than a software RAID 0.
I've got a RAID 0 setup for my arch box, it's not my main device and if the drive/array failed then yeah I'd lose some things but nothing of importance.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!