pjm1xza6.jpg

Speaking with Crave Online, Cargill explained that they weren?t thinking about the movie as a video game adaptaion, but rather as a cyberpunk film.

?We?ve taken a look at what?s worked in video games and what hasn?t, and really what we?ve broken down is what we think the audience really wants, [what] the audience that loves ?Deus Ex? is going to want to see out of a ?Deus Ex? movie. And it?s not a rehashing of the game. What they want to see is, they want to see elements of the game that they love, but they want to see things that they hadn?t quite seen in the game, that the game didn?t allow them to see. So it?s really allowed us to expand upon the things that happened in the game, and the game has such a great cinematic story to begin with that those elements are very easy to extract. But really, at its core, we just keep telling each other, ?We?re not making a video game movie, we?re making a cyberpunk movie.? ?

Cargill also went on to explain that the style of the film wouldn?t be like Blade Runner and Alien, which have dominated the sci-fi landscape for 30 years; rather, their Deus Ex movie will be more realistic.

?That dark, wet, tech-noir look of a movie, and that kind of feel of a movie, it?s just dominated cinema for thirty years. It?s dominated sci-fi cinema. ?Alien? and ?Blade Runner,? together, really changed everything. Smoke and rain and fog and darkness? it?s noir. And ?Looper? and [District 9] went ahead and just got rid of that idea, and said let?s take a different aesthetic. And that aesthetic was, both in the aesthetic of the storytelling and the visuals, was ?Let?s make it very realistic, and let?s start where some of these movies end, and let?s have different kinds of problems.? ?

Derrickson agreed with Cargill, saying that the film would ?make for fresh cyberpunk storytelling,? in both its visual aesthetic and the fact that it was dealing with big, ambitious ideas. Derrickson also said that Deus Ex will be one of the first in a new generation of video game adaptations that will elevate the genre as a whole.

?I think that we?re going to see the first generation of video game adaptations made by people who grew up playing video games, and who grew up watching science fiction films. So there?s kind of a love for both, and also a very clear understanding of the difference between both. What makes a good game versus what makes a good movie. And certainly we don?t have the attitude of some past filmmakers, which is ?Just be faithful to the game a huge audience of the game will show up.? I think that?s been, in some ways, the Achilles Heel of these video game movies.?

http://screenrant.com/deus-ex-human-revolution-movie-update/

The first game is still incredible, and been played through several times by myself. Second was utter rubbish, but Human Revolution got it all back on the right path.

I always imagined a movie adaption of Deus Ex would look very Blade Runner style-ish, hopefully they don't adapt too much from District 9...