Posted 22 February 2013 - 19:55

as a former smoker, i giggled the entire length of that video

#17 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• 2,546 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 22 February 2013 - 20:14

This video shows nothing. Only driving and driving on some stupidly low speeds that would **** off a lot of people. The reaction time tho, that's what they should have tested. Reaction times increase rapidly which means they won't come to a full stop as fast as a "sober" person.

I don't give a rats ass about your views on pot, I do it myself from time to time but sure as hell don't drive when you've just smoked.

But oh well. I wouldn't expect nothing more. I mean I usually don't do this bashing but USA's driving tests are a joke to begin with.

#18 SierraSonic

SierraSonic

SierraSonic

• 958 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 21:21

This video shows nothing. Only driving and driving on some stupidly low speeds that would **** off a lot of people. The reaction time tho, that's what they should have tested. Reaction times increase rapidly which means they won't come to a full stop as fast as a "sober" person.

I don't give a rats ass about your views on pot, I do it myself from time to time but sure as hell don't drive when you've just smoked.

But oh well. I wouldn't expect nothing more. I mean I usually don't do this bashing but USA's driving tests are a joke to begin with.

In America we don't teach people to drive, we test to see if they can find two pedals, know how they work, and then we cram a bunch of laws down their throat, hoping for them to be good enough to drive, yet still horrible enough to get tickets.

The problem with this test as it was put, is they were most likely still getting higher and higher while driving, which will always cause issues, if you are coming down off a high you may still be impaired, but I'm still guessing less than most people on prescriptions are.

#19 B0mberman

B0mberman

Silence is the key to Wisdom

• 5,145 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 23:34

wow, 1st of all, who smokes a) medical grade b) such a large quantity - 1 gram???! whoa, don't know about you, but i'll be flying on 1 gram medical grade, so this whole "test" was reaching too far. They kinda rigged it to have a very specific outcome.... editing was done nicely to get that message across. A better question would be what is the real agenda behind that video? Why did they hone in on this subject with such severe bias?

#20 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:19

It's a propaganda message, of course, Any drug and driving is bad.

#21 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

• 1,097 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:24

I'm not saying I have ever driven baked out of my mind, but if I had... I would have been the slowest and most careful driver on the road, and never been pulled over for driving reckless or wrong.

#22 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,005 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:31

It obviously wasn't a scientific study but it was interesting nonetheless. As with everything, legal limits need to be based upon evidence but—based on this—smoking a small amount doesn't significantly impair a person's ability to drive. I'd be interested to see the results of other drugs on driving, particularly caffeine and when combined with tiredness. Currently there is a general acceptance that if you're tired drinking coffee will help you remain safe on the road and I'd be interested to know whether that's true. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of everyday legal drugs and medicines are more dangerous than marijuana.

#23 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,176 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:52

Sure I saw a Fifth Gear on this a few years ago, that concluded whilst you were better off not being stoned and in control of a car or heavy machinery, you were actually a much more careful operator. I.e less likely to take stupid risks.

However much like an intoxication there came a point when it was impossibley stupid and you just couldnt drive without causing accident or mistake, tho this ofc was more dependant on the users own tolerances towards the substance.

#24 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• 2,546 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:07

In America we don't teach people to drive, we test to see if they can find two pedals, know how they work, and then we cram a bunch of laws down their throat, hoping for them to be good enough to drive, yet still horrible enough to get tickets.

The problem with this test as it was put, is they were most likely still getting higher and higher while driving, which will always cause issues, if you are coming down off a high you may still be impaired, but I'm still guessing less than most people on prescriptions are.

That's it? A few driving lessons and you're done?

Urgh..over here you have to take 30 theory lessons (~1hour each) then 22 driving lessons (Also about an hour each) THEN you'll have theory and driving exams which you need to pass to even make it to the national driving instructors where you'll have an theory and driving exams made by the country. If you pass all of this you'll get your "green" driver license which ARE NOT full drivers license but instead within 2 years of reciving the first ones you need to pass an 8 hour lessons for safer driving and economy driving and then you will finally receive your full driving license.

Also since pot has different effects on different people it's not as easy to find the "safe" line where a person could drive normally.

#25 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,341 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:42

It obviously wasn't a scientific study but it was interesting nonetheless. As with everything, legal limits need to be based upon evidence but—based on this—smoking a small amount doesn't significantly impair a person's ability to drive. I'd be interested to see the results of other drugs on driving, particularly caffeine and when combined with tiredness. Currently there is a general acceptance that if you're tired drinking coffee will help you remain safe on the road and I'd be interested to know whether that's true. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of everyday legal drugs and medicines are more dangerous than marijuana.

Coffee doesn't negate tiredness to any real degree when it comes to concentration. the best cure for tiredness when driving is to sleep for 15 minutes. being tired is actually the equivalent of driving while drunk.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!