Goodbye BlackBerry, hello Windows Phone 8

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 +Ely

Ely

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC M8 & HTC 8X

Posted 25 February 2013 - 22:27

I'm sure you will love your phone, been using WP for over 2 years and loving it, it will only get better.

#17 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 28 February 2013 - 00:37

I'm sure you will love your phone, been using WP for over 2 years and loving it, it will only get better.

Thanks! I love everything about it except for the battery life. I'm trying a couple of things to improve it but so far, I've had very little success in making it last more than 12 hours on a single charge. How many hours/days do you get out of your HTC 8X?

#18 +Ely

Ely

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC M8 & HTC 8X

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:50

Hey Anaron, yeah battery life is the one thing negative for me too, I haven't been able to really find out how long it stays on one charge, I have a charger at work and keep charging it a lot, but with heavy usage (Lots of web browsing and perhaps some video watching) I don't believe the battery lasts too long, perhaps 6 hours or so, with regular usage I noticed it says for a long time though.

#19 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:57

Hey Anaron, yeah battery life is the one thing negative for me too, I haven't been able to really find out how long it stays on one charge, I have a charger at work and keep charging it a lot, but with heavy usage (Lots of web browsing and perhaps some video watching) I don't believe the battery lasts too long, perhaps 6 hours or so, with regular usage I noticed it says for a long time though.

I see. Thanks for the info. I'm going to play around with the settings for a couple of more days. My last resort will be to swap my HTC 8S for a new one just in case there's an issue with my battery.

Anyway, you should disable the locations feature (GPS) and NFC (tap+send). Both of those features eat away at your phone's battery life.

#20 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:37

i have an ativ s,and i get about 3 days usage(no gaming). phone calls,browsing,texting,email. i have about 5 email accounts setup. pulled the phone off the charge this morning, its 1am and im at %70. i should mention i keep it on HSPA+ instead of LTE,as i get worse battery with LTE.

#21 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:33

i have an ativ s,and i get about 3 days usage(no gaming). phone calls,browsing,texting,email. i have about 5 email accounts setup. pulled the phone off the charge this morning, its 1am and im at %70. i should mention i keep it on HSPA+ instead of LTE,as i get worse battery with LTE.

I keep my phone on HSPA+ but I haven't tried using just Wi-Fi only at home. On my BlackBerry, it greatly improved the battery life. Have you tried that?

#22 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 05 March 2013 - 13:11

Ever since my iPhone days(3G, 2008), I am used to charging my phone every night. I could get 24-48 hrs charge if I turned off some things but then I started thinking what's the point of having a good phone if I turn off everything it's good at!
I am not saying you should do that but give it a thought.

#23 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 05 March 2013 - 13:15

So you went from an old Blackberry to a new Windows phone. Any particular reason why you didn't want to wait for the new Blackberries?

#24 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:43

I keep my phone on HSPA+ but I haven't tried using just Wi-Fi only at home. On my BlackBerry, it greatly improved the battery life. Have you tried that?

when I first got this phone,i didn't switch my sim to it yet,so I used it only on wifi exclusively for about a week.it lasted much much longer than when the radio is turned on,therefore I think on wifi it should give you better battery than HSPA+.nowadays,wifi chipsets are pretty mature and are good with battery.

#25 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:46

So you went from an old Blackberry to a new Windows phone. Any particular reason why you didn't want to wait for the new Blackberries?

I just wanted something that's cheap but good. I really like BlackBerry and I'm definitely interested in BB10. I was very close to just waiting for the Q10 but I desperately wanted to have something better than my Curve. I'm happy with WP8 at the moment so I don't exactly want another phone; however, I am keeping an eye on what's being released. If something catches my eye in terms of design and price, then I'll consider buying it.

when I first got this phone,i didn't switch my sim to it yet,so I used it only on wifi exclusively for about a week.it lasted much much longer than when the radio is turned on,therefore I think on wifi it should give you better battery than HSPA+.nowadays,wifi chipsets are pretty mature and are good with battery.

Awesome. I'll definitely keep mine on WiFi at home. (Y)

#26 Eddie7

Eddie7

Hallo... www.connectw.me

• Phone: 1-800-CALL-ME-MAYBE

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:49

Better than the iPhone! That's for sure!

#27 mikesingh

mikesingh

Neowinian

• Phone: Sprint Samsung ATIV S Neo

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:56

Thanks! I love everything about it except for the battery life. I'm trying a couple of things to improve it but so far, I've had very little success in making it last more than 12 hours on a single charge.

Hey Anaron! Welcome to Windows Phone :D

I've been a mostly-faithful Windows Phone user since the Windows Mobile 6 days (except for one 6-month fling with the original Sprint HTC EVO :x ) I've owned nothing but HTC Windows Phones and am currently on a Sprint HTC Arrive (known around the world as the '7 Pro', running a flashed 7.8 ROM).

The Arrive has a 1500mAh battery and my Arrive usually lasts a full day for me (from ~9am until ~11pm) with around 30% battery remaining) . While WP8 is a different beast than 7.x, some battery tips are (as mentioned) using Wi-Fi where you can, keeping Battery Saver on (manually kick it on if you feel like it, but live tiles/other notifications will halt while doing so), keep screen brightness low (on the Arrive, it's VERY low compared to other WPs) and sometimes even powercycling the phone can have your phone recalculate battery life to a better percentage (I've tested this on my Arrive, my girlfriend's Lumia 900 and her sister's Lumia 920).

As usual, your results will vary... but I wanted to give you a warm welcome to the group and I hope you enjoy your 8S! I can't wait to see what Sprint releases this summer for their Samsung and HTC WP8 lineup!

#28 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:02

Awesome. I'll definitely keep mine on WiFi at home. (Y)

just noticed youre from Toronto too (Y) ,im from there as well. btw if you need any help with anything related to the phone or OS,just pm me.

#29 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:47

Hey Anaron! Welcome to Windows Phone :D

I've been a mostly-faithful Windows Phone user since the Windows Mobile 6 days (except for one 6-month fling with the original Sprint HTC EVO :x ) I've owned nothing but HTC Windows Phones and am currently on a Sprint HTC Arrive (known around the world as the '7 Pro', running a flashed 7.8 ROM).

The Arrive has a 1500mAh battery and my Arrive usually lasts a full day for me (from ~9am until ~11pm) with around 30% battery remaining) . While WP8 is a different beast than 7.x, some battery tips are (as mentioned) using Wi-Fi where you can, keeping Battery Saver on (manually kick it on if you feel like it, but live tiles/other notifications will halt while doing so), keep screen brightness low (on the Arrive, it's VERY low compared to other WPs) and sometimes even powercycling the phone can have your phone recalculate battery life to a better percentage (I've tested this on my Arrive, my girlfriend's Lumia 900 and her sister's Lumia 920).

As usual, your results will vary... but I wanted to give you a warm welcome to the group and I hope you enjoy your 8S! I can't wait to see what Sprint releases this summer for their Samsung and HTC WP8 lineup!

Thanks for the warm welcome! :)

I've noticed the battery percentage change after restarting it but so far, it has always been a little worse. That was when my phone had less than 3 charge cycles. I've noticed that the more I use it, the better the battery life. So far it seems to be levelling off and I like the fact that I can get at least a day out of it with somewhat moderate usage (including 1- to 2-hour phone calls).

Nokia seems to be flooding the market with a lot of cheap handsets. I hope HTC makes something a little better than the 8S but cheaper than the 8X. Actually, I think I read a rumour about a mid-range HTC WP8 device coming out this year.

just noticed youre from Toronto too (Y) ,im from there as well. btw if you need any help with anything related to the phone or OS,just pm me.

Parts Unknown eh? :laugh: Thanks for the offer. I see you have the Lumia 920 and ATIV S. Which one do you like more? And why do you have 2 WP8 devices?

#30 neo158

neo158

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung ATIV S i8750

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:06

Thanks for the warm welcome! :)

I've noticed the battery percentage change after restarting it but so far, it has always been a little worse. That was when my phone had less than 3 charge cycles. I've noticed that the more I use it, the better the battery life. So far it seems to be levelling off and I like the fact that I can get at least a day out of it with somewhat moderate usage (including 1- to 2-hour phone calls).

Nokia seems to be flooding the market with a lot of cheap handsets. I hope HTC makes something a little better than the 8S but cheaper than the 8X. Actually, I think I read a rumour about a mid-range HTC WP8 device coming out this year.

Parts Unknown eh? :laugh: Thanks for the offer. I see you have the Lumia 920 and ATIV S. Which one do you like more? And why do you have 2 WP8 devices?

You'll find that battery life will get better over time as HTC ship phones with batteries that are not calibrated. I have the ATIV S and I love it, I get over a day on a single charge on WiFi, slightly less than that on HSPA+.

Oh and congratulations on buying a Windows Phone. I've been using Windows Phone since 7.0 and have seen some incredible changes in the features of the OS and it can only get better.