PHP PSR-0 or Ruby on Rails for new project?

Question

So I'm working on a couple of projects right now, one happens to be a Social type site for local music artists.

I've been toying around with Laravel 3 and in the past played with Ruby on Rails back when it was version 2.

I like what Laravel brings to the PHP world with it's class autoloader and it's ORM but my question is how will it hold up to the task of having to deal with thousands upon thousands of hits per day? and same with RoR?

Keep in mind I'm more comfortable in PHP than I am Ruby...

5 answers to this question

At work we have web applications written in Ruby on Rails 3 using redis for caching which easily serve 5,000,000+ hits/day (page, not unique) hosted on a single 2.8GHz Quad Xeon, 16GB RAM server. The only site we have written using the Laravel framework gets 750,000+ hits/day and handles it fine.

Both will scale as long as you write your code with scalability in mind (e.g. potential to cache expensive queries, ability to split the application across load-balanced servers, etc). Pick the one you're most comfortable with, I much prefer Ruby to PHP so usually I go with Ruby on Rails. Remember though, don't worry too much about premature optimization because most sites never take off, you can always spend time optimizing the code base once the site starts getting a lot of traffic (if ever).

If your comfortable with PHP go with Laravel, i've been playing with it and have fallen in love... there is no reason why Laravel can't handle your requirements, i'm rebuilding my high traffic site in Laravel.

Skip Laravel 3 though: http://four.laravel.com/docs/installation

Laracon is this weekend and they are announcing the official release of L4.. i'd imagine it's going to come this weekend, or in a couple of days, so just run the beta, it will be easier to upgrade from 3->4.

If you have a spare few quid jump on tutsplus.com and start their laravel and 'whats new in laravel 4' courses.. they're both pretty good.

^ Already done that, that's what originally turned me to Laravel :p

@ZakO: I have no plans for immediate optimizations and I understand that the site may not take off. (the 100's upon 100's of hits per day is wishful thinking lol).

I'm probably going to go with L3 for the time being and than once L4 has been out for awhile I'll switch to it. I'm also writing a hosting control panel (I need one specific for my needs and for my clients needs) thats based on Laravel.