• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,954 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 23 February 2013 - 14:01

You have to understand the boss's point of view...

No. There is no excuse for facilitating criminal acts, especially when they put the lives of others at risk. Businesses exist to make money but that's no excuse for such disgusting and immoral behaviour. She should have got a promotion for what she did.

She has zero grounds as far as suing. Ohio is a work at will state, unless she specifically requested an employment contract. Such a thing would never happen for a bartender position.

The employer broke no law in terminating her employment. Yes, her situation is unfair, as is life. But legally she has no recourse.

That's disgusting. It must be pretty sickening to live in a place that treats you as nothing more than a commodity.

#17 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,639 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 14:10

That's disgusting. It must be pretty sickening to live in a place that treats you as nothing more than a commodity.

Just about every state in the US is a work at will state. There's no way an employer could possibly account for every possible action and place it in their employee rule guidelines. It allows the employer to protect the integrity/reputation of the company against unforeseen employee action.

On the same token, it also frees the employee to seek employment elsewhere as employers seem to love to add miscellaneous items onto job descriptions after hiring. This frees you from a binding contract.

#18 DavidM

DavidM

Neowinian Senior

• 1,795 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 14:16

Wait, wait, wait, this bartender served a drunk patron and THEN called the cops when he left? You guys really think this is the RIGHT thing to do?

Why did she serve or continue to serve an intoxicated patron? Why not call a cab and charge it to the bar? What was his B.A.C. - BEFORE she continued to serve him?

If she REFUSED service and felt he was a drunk driver then by all means call the police and take a drunk driver off the road, but for FS, don't add to the guys problem and THEN get him arrested.

I wonder if he gave her a tip?

#19 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,954 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 23 February 2013 - 14:22

Just about every state in the US is a work at will state. There's no way an employer could possibly account for every possible action and place it in their employee rule guidelines. It allows the employer to protect the integrity/reputation of the company against unforeseen employee action.

It allows companies to treat their employees like dirt and dismiss people without any just cause, as evidenced by this case. Employees shouldn't have to fear that they could lose their jobs at any moment, especially for calling the police to report a crime. What a horrible culture.

#20 The Laughing Man

The Laughing Man

Neowinian Senior

• 2,964 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 14:23

On the same token, it also frees the employee to seek employment elsewhere as employers seem to love to add miscellaneous items onto job descriptions after hiring. This frees you from a binding contract.

Sounds like a crappy state to work in. Yet most actually are come to think of it.

#21 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 11,120 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 16:05

Wait, wait, wait, this bartender served a drunk patron and THEN called the cops when he left? You guys really think this is the RIGHT thing to do?

Why did she serve or continue to serve an intoxicated patron? Why not call a cab and charge it to the bar? What was his B.A.C. - BEFORE she continued to serve him?

If she REFUSED service and felt he was a drunk driver then by all means call the police and take a drunk driver off the road, but for FS, don't add to the guys problem and THEN get him arrested.

I wonder if he gave her a tip?

Yes it is the right thing to do. It's not a crime to get drunk off your ass and she did slow down on serving him. But it is a crime to get in the car after getting drunk off your ass and the bar isn't liable for that. It's your responsibility to call a cab or a friend, not get behind the wheel.

Now granted there generally are laws stating not to serve overly drunk people, but that's a judgement call, and it still doesn't make a bar or a bar employee responsible for an individual's dumb choices.

#22 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:47

She did the right thing but sometimes that ain't enough.

#23 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,157 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:41

well, she can't gives annonymous tip about drunken driver to the cops,
as such tip that would usualy treated as pranks.

saying she is the barkeep would gives some credibility about the info.

#24 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

• 12,231 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:12

It's not a crime to get drunk off your ass (...)

Depends on your location.

#25 +Lighthalzen

Lighthalzen

GNT-0000 00 Qan[T]

• 1,894 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:05

She should work in Canada, she would be great here! I feel bad for her though :(

I think she did the right thing and more people should be like her.

#26 AwayfromHere

AwayfromHere

Neowinian Senior

• 3,012 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z3

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:12

Well once anyone has got more than 35mg of alcohol in their blood then they're intoxicated and in Britain over the legal drive limit.

So by this,

Bartenders are prohibited from serving an intoxicated person and could be held liable for any crash or injury that results, though.

The bar keep should be serving them no more than 1.5 pints of larger proof 4.4% or no more than a large glass of white wine.

I went to the Pub Xmas eve with my buds from a club and I drank 6 pints of Guinness.

I should have been stopped at 1.5 pints, but wasn't.

I don't drive, I walk everywhere.

So why then do the pub trade ignore this fact.

The bar keep should sue her employer, she did the right thing.

Though if she kept serving the man beer, she did the wrong thing also.

LOL! What a stupid law.

I'm not proud of it but a few years back when we went to a bar each weekend in the midlands we got ****drunk out of our minds (Easily 6-8 pints and to top that with some Jager shots) and no-one even mentioned that kinda thing, that would just lose the point of going to a bar (taking the mindset I had back then).

But she was right to call the cops on him.

#27 +Vykranth

Vykranth

Chantez, compagnons, dans la nuit la Liberté nous écoute

• 3,247 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:44

The commander of the post would not make a comment to 10TV News on camera but said that while DeVito did the right thing morally, she did not do the right thing for the business.

Hence, the problem of our societies, when the right moral thing to do is put behind the business.
Disgusting ...