Crysis 3 (PC Only) - The Kvetchfest Returns To Its Roots

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 23 February 2013 - 16:50

Apparently, the reasons to kvetch over the recently-released Crysis 3 for PC have returned to the SAME reason folks kvetched over the original Crysis.

I've been seeing a lot of either "It pushes my hardware too hard!" or "WAAAH - I have to upgrade my DX10 fancy-schmancy GPUs to run it at all!"

Geeze - wasn't Crysis 2 (again, for PC) the reverse of that? Wasn't the refrain then "It doesn't push my hardware hard enough?"

I'm beginning to wonder if folks aren't happy UNLESS they can kvetch over something when it comes to a Crysis game.

What makes this all the more surprising is that I'm not complaining; maybe it's because I'm merely looking to play the game - not show off?

#2 hjf288

hjf288

Korean Crazy Man!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 17:26

what the hell does kvetch mean?

#3 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 23 February 2013 - 17:27

Come on, this is the internet. People bitch about everything they can.

#4 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 23 February 2013 - 17:30

crysis 2 did push the envelope with dx 11 and ultra res texture update i think

#5 OP PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2013 - 18:12

crysis 2 did push the envelope with dx 11 and ultra res texture update i think

True - however, the complaint even THEN was that it didn't push hard enough.

Crytek was even accused of releasing a half-baked patch set.

On the SAME hardware I have now (which I had then) I couldn't take advantage of the entire set of patches (not enough GPU memory) - however, I COULD take advantage of everything else - including the tessellation part of the DX11 patch series.

Segue to Crysis 3 - I have the same GPU; however, I can (in fact, I have to) use AA (SMAA to be precise), as SMAA has better performance AND better graphics than no AA. Better graphics I can understand - however better performance doesn't fit. Every form of AA I have heard anything about is typically a drag on performance - not a boost; and the lower-end your GPU is, the greater the bogdown effect. Is there something lower than the Frankencard configuration that is typical of the discrete AMD HD5450? If not, how is it that it is making a mockery of SMAA? If I turn AA off (ala Crysis 2) performance drops AND graphics look worse. However, merely turning on SMAA enables higher resolution AND higher framerates than Crysis 2 (same hardware).

So no, I'm not angry at all - just boggled.

#6 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: Xperia Z3

Posted 23 February 2013 - 18:15

The people who complained it was too demanding, they were gamers. Naturally they were annoyed they couldn't enjoy the game without forking out some serious cash. The people who complained it wasn't demanding enough, they were elitist douchebags who only care about comparing e-penis lengths.

#7 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

Posted 23 February 2013 - 18:17

what the hell does kvetch mean?

It's a Yiddish word.

#8 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 23 February 2013 - 18:40

The people who complained it was too demanding, they were gamers. Naturally they were annoyed they couldn't enjoy the game without forking out some serious cash. The people who complained it wasn't demanding enough, they were elitist douchebags who only care about comparing e-penis lengths.

So people are either cheap or elitist douchebags? It seems people can't win with you unless they have exactly the same amount of money as you.

The DX11 features for Crysis 2 should have been developed for release with the game. As it was they were released in a patch afterwards and there were significant issues, like some areas of excessive tessellation and there was invisible water under the level that was tessellated - it significantly reduced performance without any visual gains.

#9 OP PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2013 - 18:58

It's a Yiddish word.

And it means the same as those other words which tend to get bleeped or otherwise censored on Internet forums, chat sites, Twitter, etc. Due to its LACK of negative freighting (despite that it means the same) I use it instead of the censorable and often CENSORED phraseology.

#10 Athernar

Athernar

?

Posted 23 February 2013 - 19:02

I will never understand why people seem to think of an entire community as a single-minded individual.

Seriously, it doesn't take much brainpower to figure out that developing to the high-end will "alienate" those with crappy PCs, and developing to the low-end will pee off the people that splashed out the $$$ for high-end components. You can only make one side happy, pick one.

And let's be honest, a big part was due to the blatant console pandering in Crysis 2 because Cevat Yerli got his panties in a twist over "PC" piracy.

#11 OP PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2013 - 19:09

So people are either cheap or elitist douchebags? It seems people can't win with you unless they have exactly the same amount of money as you.

The DX11 features for Crysis 2 should have been developed for release with the game. As it was they were released in a patch afterwards and there were significant issues, like some areas of excessive tessellation and there was invisible water under the level that was tessellated - it significantly reduced performance without any visual gains.

theyarecomingforyou - when it comes to gaming and game development, you had it right the first time - the complainants are either one OR the other.

And you are also right about the tessellation in Crysis 2 - which some of the SAME folks kvetching about Crysis 3's lack of over-tessellation are actually DEFENDING.

But when it comes to users, if you satisfy the cheapskates, the elitists get horked off - if you satisfy the elitists, you risk the game being nearly unplayable by anyone else (which was, in fact, an issue with the original Crysis). (The consolistas, are, in fact, kvetching about a bias in favor of the PC with Crysis 3.)

It's not unique to Crysis titles - the complaints about Crysis 3 (and the original Crysis) mirror what I heard about Civilization V (the original - not any of the patches, DLCs, or compilations) because it actually dared to use features in DX11.

Still, I kinda expected SOME sort of "Crysis crisis", as it seems NO Crysis title is a Crysis title without one.

#12 OP PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2013 - 19:34

I will never understand why people seem to think of an entire community as a single-minded individual.

Seriously, it doesn't take much brainpower to figure out that developing to the high-end will "alienate" those with crappy PCs, and developing to the low-end will pee off the people that splashed out the $$$ for high-end components. You can only make one side happy, pick one.

And let's be honest, a big part was due to the blatant console pandering in Crysis 2 because Cevat Yerli got his panties in a twist over "PC" piracy.

Cevat Yerli is a developer - and he's not the only one to get horked about piracy (PC or any other platform). The issue is, in fact, a valid one; CASUAL piracy is far easier on the PC than any other platform. (Not piracy as a whole - the issue is more the casual sort - it affects, games, operating systems, applications, etc.) Stopping ALL piracy may be an eventual goal - however, Cevat Yerli is quite aware that THAT goal may well be wishful thinking. However, ALL developers want to put a major dent in casual piracy. However, that wasn't the ONLY reason that Crysis 2 pandered to consoles - what those of us with PCs seems to forget is that very reason why most of us choose PCs over consoles (upgradability) makes DEVELOPING for PCs like threading a needle while driving in the Rolex 24 at Daytona - at night. With consoles you have a SINGLE set of standards to target - it is the equivalent of old-school writing to the hardware. Far easier for developers.

Between Crysis 2 and Crysis 3, PC hardware improved; console hardware (naturally) didn't. (I'm not talking just the high end - look at the overall uptake in just DX11 support in desktop AND portable hardware between Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 via the various Steam surveys. This is publicly-available data, as Valve itself publishes them; Neowin itself posts the results on a monthly basis. Do you think that developers outside of Valve can't - or don't - follow those published surveys?) While Cevat may have won the PR battle, he was risking losing the PR war by sticking to the far-easier and largely-unchanged console-hardware target a second time around. He moved the base target north - not completely OUTSIDE what consoles can do, but north far enough that their arbitrary "standards" get stressed. In doing that, he also chopped off anything below DX11 on PCs; however, PC owners (except portable PC owners) can upgrade far easier - console owners are stuck. However, the new target is also friendlier to single-GPU settings this time, albeit single DX11 GPUs - both sorts of multi-GPU setups (Crossfire and SLI) are, to a large extent, underutilized. So the elitists are horked off, and the console fans are ALSO horked off.

#13 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: Xperia Z3

Posted 23 February 2013 - 20:10

If you're basing how good a game is based solely on how demanding it is on your system, you aren't a gamer, Crysis seems to be held up in such high regard based on its ludicrous system requirements and graphics. This dad not disguise the fact it was a mediocre game in almost every regard.

#14 Athernar

Athernar

?

Posted 23 February 2013 - 20:11

Cevat Yerli is a developer - and he's not the only one to get horked about piracy (PC or any other platform). The issue is, in fact, a valid one; CASUAL piracy is far easier on the PC than any other platform. (Not piracy as a whole - the issue is more the casual sort - it affects, games, operating systems, applications, etc.) Stopping ALL piracy may be an eventual goal - however, Cevat Yerli is quite aware that THAT goal may well be wishful thinking. However, ALL developers want to put a major dent in casual piracy. However, that wasn't the ONLY reason that Crysis 2 pandered to consoles - what those of us with PCs seems to forget is that very reason why most of us choose PCs over consoles (upgradability) makes DEVELOPING for PCs like threading a needle while driving in the Rolex 24 at Daytona - at night. With consoles you have a SINGLE set of standards to target - it is the equivalent of old-school writing to the hardware. Far easier for developers.

It's got nothing to do with casual piracy at all. The original Crysis was a benchmark pretending to be a game - and selling a benchmark (At triple-A prices) isn't a particularly viable business model.

Those big piracy margins were the hoards of benchmarkers wanting on the latest bandwagon, they didn't want any of that silly game nonsense, just their average FPS on max settings at 1920x1080.

#15 GollyJeeWizz

GollyJeeWizz

Neowinian

Posted 23 February 2013 - 20:26

It's just a shame Crytek can't make a quality game. CryEngine3 has so much potential, but we're going to have to wait until a third party company purchases a license for the engine and develops a game that properly utilizes the engine.

Crysis 3 exists for the sole reason the original Crysis existed -- to benchmark your system to see how future proof it is.