ps4 sony disc gaming bluray digital downloads rumour

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 26 February 2013 - 14:38

No matter how badly it translated from japanese, I think it's fair to say that they are not quite the disc based future envisions it was reported before. at best they're not abandonign discs, at worst, some to several titles won't see a disc release.

Though I think all AAA games will have disc based releases, while the PS4 will start having more presence in the XBLA market and have many simpler but not indie games that may still be AAA quality who will not have disc base releases. of course these titles will rarely push multiple gig sizes anyway.

I wish they would stop calling all small developers "indie", the term is being highly watered out by MS and Sony and Valve in trying to look cool in how they are supporting the indie devs, when they're in reality talking about smaller developers. heck even being a one man dev team doesn't necessarily make you indie.

#47 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 February 2013 - 14:39

I think you are reading too much into it, he just means that some games that would normally only be downloadable titles would also get disc versions, games like Starhawk on PS3.

*edit* Guess I should read the thread, beaten to it by Audio.

#48 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 February 2013 - 16:20

there's no good or bad here, but i have to say the internet/connectivity are miles and miles away from being as reliable and "there" as other utilities. right now i'm experiencing ridiculously slow downloads on my PS3...it took me OVERNIGHT to download Darksiders. Darksiders, from 2010. How long will it take me to download KZ4, which is prob going to be like 30-40GB min? A day prob. And this is on a 50Mbps connection that consistently tests 50Mbps and over. It's a good fiber connection, for some odd reason something between me and wherever Sony keeps game files is bottlenecking.

I'm all for digital only, but that will only come when you no longer even think of bandwidth or network speeds, just like you don't think about how many amps your house can take. only electricians care about that stuff nowadays, or people with REALLY serious power demands. last time i thought about that stuff was when i installed central heating...and how often do you do that? certainly not as often as buying games.

#49 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 26 February 2013 - 16:41

If you like 'fixed rates' try Amazon Prime for delivering your games, no more "gas money".

You mean I could spend money to avoid spending money? What a marvelous idea!

...pass

#50 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

Posted 26 February 2013 - 17:11

there's no good or bad here, but i have to say the internet/connectivity are miles and miles away from being as reliable and "there" as other utilities. right now i'm experiencing ridiculously slow downloads on my PS3...it took me OVERNIGHT to download Darksiders. Darksiders, from 2010. How long will it take me to download KZ4, which is prob going to be like 30-40GB min? A day prob. And this is on a 50Mbps connection that consistently tests 50Mbps and over. It's a good fiber connection, for some odd reason something between me and wherever Sony keeps game files is bottlenecking.

I'm all for digital only, but that will only come when you no longer even think of bandwidth or network speeds, just like you don't think about how many amps your house can take. only electricians care about that stuff nowadays, or people with REALLY serious power demands. last time i thought about that stuff was when i installed central heating...and how often do you do that? certainly not as often as buying games.

At least unlike the WiiU it won't take as long to install as it took to download ;)

#51 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 26 February 2013 - 17:18

So it appears Sony doesn't quite se such a disc based future after all.

http://www.theverge....ion-possibility

If I wasn't at work I'd make a new news topic for this. as it's new and separate news.

I would put that more towards things like the "Journey Collection", PSN games that get the disc treatment as well. I believe Microsoft has a couple of these out as well.

#52 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2013 - 17:27

hopefully you're right Hawk, cause as you know the PS3, love her though I may, is quite fond of the whole first download, then install, then update ritual, which with some games takes a good 30 mins. but yeah i'm quite convinced Sony have learned many lessons and will improve the experience.

BTW I love these cloud saves you get when you go Plus! and for the record download speeds from PSN are now back to normal, no idea what happened. Still, goes to show the internet is still too fickle for us to let go of discs just yet.

#53 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

Posted 04 March 2013 - 17:41

oh, the whole install thing drives me nuts on the Wii U. used as I am to the 360 and download and play for digital downloads on the Wii U it's 30 minute download, +15 minute install + 10 minute download of patch + 10 minute install of patch...

granted Nintendo obviously have extremely limited experience with software design and patching, but still.

and as much as I love cloud saves, I hate it when I play games I forget if I did cloud save or not and I need to restart the game when I select the wrong save location on startup. most annoying in games that don't allow you to go back far enough to reselect save location(looking at you Halo 4)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!