Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:42

I have no problem with that.

#17 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,662 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:47

That's just sick. Not much different than grinding up freshly dead people, wouldn't want to waste good meat. No sicker really.

#18 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

• 4,448 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:51

it's not that bad. It's a leaner, gamier, meat. It's probably more healthy than beef and likely doesn't have the added problems of steroids, growth hormones, and antibiotics thrown it at like candy.

#19 Gasoau

Gasoau

Neowinian

• 106 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone 8

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:54

That's just sick. Not much different than grinding up freshly dead people, wouldn't want to waste good meat. No sicker really.

Human Meat Gotta try that

#20 uMadRabbit

uMadRabbit

Neowinian Senior

• 2,629 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:55

Have you tried it? I have, it's not bad, it actually tastes like other meat out there. So lets just throw away good, eatable meat rather than give it away to families that need it. Yeah right..

If you would only know that people in some Balkan countries actually eat it day to day..oh god those cannibals, how dare they.

#21 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,667 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:06

It's quite common in much of Europe, nothing wrong with it at all. The problem here is mislabelling.

Actually the problem is that they used old work and race horses, which aren't bred for food and are full of drugs. Also the meat on work and race horses aren't as good either hard and stringy.

meanwhile proper horse meat is supposed to be more tender than beef when done right and have a sweeter taste to it.

And I don't see why it should be given to the poor, it's a more expensive luxury meat, except for the meat from race and work horses which aren't fit for consumption anyway.

#22 XerXis

XerXis

Neowinian Senior

• 5,078 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:32

I don't see the problem, instead of throwing all that food (which is not dangerous nor bad) away, why not give it to the needy? It's winter, they are in for hard times, I'm pretty sure they will not decline it just because it's horse meat instead of beef. In most european countries eating horse is normal anyway, the discussion is not about it being horse meat, but about it being mislabeled.

#23 B0mberman

B0mberman

Silence is the key to Wisdom

• 5,201 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:41

mmm, horse steaks here we come

#24 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• 9,318 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:47

It's probably more healthy than beef and likely doesn't have the added problems of steroids, growth hormones, and antibiotics thrown it at like candy.

You've missed muscle pain relievers - the whole package is exactly what the race horses are given. And since the origin of the mislabled horsemeat is unknown, no one can guarantee that there was no exposure to such risk.

#25 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

• 12,213 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:51

And I don't see why it should be given to the poor, it's a more expensive luxury meat, except for the meat from race and work horses which aren't fit for consumption anyway.

In my country horse meat (from breeding mares) is actually cheaper. It's only expensive in country that list it as a gourmet meat.

#26 Eddo89

Eddo89

Neowinian

• 711 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:54

I don't know.... what does Indians think of us eating beef? Eating of pork for Muslims and Jews? Or the very fact of eating meat for vegetarians? It is awfully precious of you to compare horse meat to dead people when meat we in western countries routinely eat meat that people in other parts of the world treat as a deity.

#27 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,667 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:55

In my country horse meat (from breeding mares) is actually cheaper. It's only expensive in country that list it as a gourmet meat.

but breeding mares are still throwaway meat, just not full of antibiotics and steroids like race and work horses. That meat is cheaper because those horses already paid for themselves many times over with the breeding.

#28 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• 8,073 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:57

Guess I'm old fashioned in the fact I WOULD NOT want to eat horse meat even if it was labeled correctly! I'm sure it's fine, but doesn't sound cool to me!

#29 metallithrax

metallithrax

I saw you earlier, with the hairy stick....

• 8,538 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia U (android 4.0.4)

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:03

Guess I'm old fashioned in the fact I WOULD NOT want to eat horse meat even if it was labeled correctly! I'm sure it's fine, but doesn't sound cool to me!

If I could find a local butcher that had horse burgers/sausage I would try them. I have seen a site online that does them, but the postage (£6.99) is off putting.

#30 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

• 7,314 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:11

Never heard of people eating horse meat ...

It's quite common in mainland Europe.