• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 Sikh

Sikh

Neowin Addict!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 4 PA 4.2.1 / iPhone 5

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:35

My 2007 Mid Model MBP 15" Antiglare served me well till last year. I got tired of waiting for things, was using my custom built desktop more. But then got a job where we use macs / linux mainly and the retina got announced / released and I got a REALLY good deal on the highest end possible machine. Im expecting to get 4-6 years out of this bad boy. Expect before the 3 year mark to get a new battery under AC and ill be good for another 3. Paired with a TB Display, ****ing love this thing more then my desktop.

#17 Raa

Raa

Resident something-or-rather

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:38

I upgraded my Macs once just after they arrived.

#18 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 26 February 2013 - 17:43

2007: 24-inch iMac (mid 2007)
2009: Mac Pro (Nehalem)
2010: 27-inch iMac (medio 2010)
2012: 27-inch iMac (late 2012)

I bought an additional 8 GB of memory for my new 27-inch iMac, beyond that I haven't upgraded any of them. I did buy a Magic Mouse for my 2009 Mac Pro when it was first released and later on a Magic Trackpad. I really couldn't care less about the upgradability of Macs, unlike some others here. I just sell my old Macs for a good price and get myself a new one.

#19 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:20

People who buy Macs often (every 3 years or less), can you tell me how much it costs on long term, minus the money you got for selling them ? I'm asking myself if I should go for this model of thinking rather than waiting until it's broken or not worth anything, because I know Apple products depreciating curve is rather linear instead of ... like an inverse function.

Say I'm ready to spent $500/year on a computer. Instead of selling a new $3000 iMac in 5 years for $500, I'd rather sell it in 2 years for $2000 and get a better one. It's the same in my head in terms of money.

#20 +Neotech085

Neotech085

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:50

I upgrade every time there is something major updated.

#21 TurboShrimp

TurboShrimp

Neowinian

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:02

as much as I like osx the price of macs is just absurd

I can do everything I need on an ipad and do not have a problem upgrading ipad once a year . but the macbooks and imacs are a HUGE ripp off

yes they are made good but not worth the money if you think you are getting a good deal you are blind

remember an 13" MacBook pro that sells for $1199.00 only has $400 worth of parts inside tell me how that's a smart buy

#22 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 27 February 2013 - 13:47

Usually every 18 months or so - but I'm keeping my current ones for a while!

I have a 2.6" Retina MBP which I want 3 years out of - and a 2011 iMac, which I've upgraded to an i7, 32GB RAM, and 2 SSDs in Raid 0. That should do me for a while!

#23 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 27 February 2013 - 13:53

yes they are made good but not worth the money if you think you are getting a good deal you are blind

I don't care for a bulky PC case in my living room so I wanted an all-in-one. I did my research and not a single company offered me the same or something better for less money than Apple. As it turns out the iMac is the best deal you can get when it comes down to the all-in-one market. Many tech sites and magazines came to the exact same conclusion.

On top of that investing a single euro in Windows 8 is investing one too many in my opinion. I gladly pay a bit more for the OS X experience I actually enjoy rather than paying less for a product I end up hating.

#24 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 February 2013 - 15:10

I'm still rocking a mid-2009 15" MBP that I will probably use until the screen dies or something. Just got the battery replaced last year and the year before that I installed an SSD. Its fine for my needs (light photo/image editing, programming, word documents, web browsing).

If you are looking to sell your old Mac, it is best to sell right after the release of a new model (or just before if you can swing it).

#25 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 27 February 2013 - 15:15

If you are looking to sell your old Mac, it is best to sell right after the release of a new model (or just before if you can swing it).

Just before is golden! :D

#26 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 27 February 2013 - 15:15

Still on my mac I got in 2006. When I get the money, I'm thinking about getting a retina macbook.

#27 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:18

I'm reiterating my question guys :
How much money have you spent on Macs, minus the price you sold them ? Divide this number by the number of years you have owned Macs.

I want to know if I'm better off upgrading yearly or keeping my Mac until I find it too slow.

#28 Kami-

Kami-

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:55

I just upgrade mine as and when I feel like it; pretty much the same as PC/Laptop/etc :)

#29 REM2000

REM2000

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 February 2013 - 13:22

My Desktop Mac's usually after about 4 years,

My laptops a little longer, i need to upgrade my macbook ive had it 6 1/2 years :s

#30 +fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 28 February 2013 - 13:24

I upgraded my Macbook pro only because it was a core 2 duo and I wanted the i7 for music rendering. I plan keeping mine for about 5 years... or should I say my wife says I Should plan on keeping it for five years. lol

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!