Photo

Disably Firefox Nightly Modern UI?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 AndyAmo

AndyAmo

Neowinian

Posted 24 February 2013 - 15:34

I installed the latest Firefox 22 nightly and when I open links in a modern app thats pinned to the desktop it tries to open in modern Firefox, I want it to open in desktop firefox.

How do i stop it.

Use the (desktop) Default Programs app and make any browser except Firefox Nightly your default browser then Nightly will always open as a desktop app. If you keep Nightly as your Default browser it will still open any link shortcuts in Desktop mode it will only automatically open imbedded links in Modern UI. If you want to run Nightly as a desktop app just put a link on the desktop. I recommend you don't put Nightly on your task bar because it seems a litte tempremental especially after an update. I am guessing there are still issues with the Nightly install? Remember Firefox Nightly is alpha code and is never going to be as stable as the current release, Stay away from Start Page links as far as possible and everything should be as you want it?

Edit: Find and install the (unofficial) 64 bit version of Firefox Nightly, it doesn't support Modern UI at all and is as good if not better than the 32 bit version.

#17 OP TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 February 2013 - 15:36

Thanks for the help, I will have a fiddle and see if I can get something workable.

#18 pack34

pack34

Professional Electron Wrangler

Posted 24 February 2013 - 15:45

Thanks for the help, I will have a fiddle and see if I can get something workable.

It's a Firefox problem, not a Windows one. It sounds like you would want to install Chrome. You can set it to launch only on the desktop or in the new Windows UI if you wish.

#19 AndyAmo

AndyAmo

Neowinian

Posted 24 February 2013 - 15:54

It's a Firefox problem, not a Windows one. It sounds like you would want to install Chrome. You can set it to launch only on the desktop or in the new Windows UI if you wish.

I tend to agree regrading Firefox. As it happens I have am still not able to get Chrome to switch between Modern and Desktop mode easily though? It goes from Destop mode to Modern mode well enough but then, will only ever run in Modern mode until you remove it as Default Browser? Besides, Chrome cheats. Whereas Nightly goes into a recognisably Modern UI mode Chrome just seems to go into a version of full screen mode which may or may not be considered Modern UI?

#20 pack34

pack34

Professional Electron Wrangler

Posted 24 February 2013 - 15:58

I tend to agree regrading Firefox. As it happens I have am still not able to get Chrome to switch between Modern and Desktop mode easily though? It goes from Destop mode to Modern mode well enough but will only run in desktop mode if you remove it as Default Browser? Besides, Chrome cheats. Whereas Nightly goes into a recognisably Modern Ui mode Chrome just seems to go into a version of full screen mode which may or may not be actual Modern UI?

It goes into Windows UI when set to. To switch behaviors in Chrome you just hit the options button and "Relaunch in x mode"

#21 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 16:36

It's not a problem. It's the way things were meant to work. When I click on a link on a desktop app, Modern IE doesn't open, so why would a link in Modern open up desktop IE?

You don't really want to claim that there's any sense to this madness in Windows 8, do you? It isn't as straightforward as you make it out to be. Otherwise, why does double-clicking a picture in a desktop app (Explorer) open up the Metro photo viewer, why does double-clicking a PDF in a desktop app open up the Metro Reader, why does double-clicking a video in a desktop app open up the Metro video app?

#22 AndyAmo

AndyAmo

Neowinian

Posted 24 February 2013 - 16:57

It goes into Windows UI when set to. To switch behaviors in Chrome you just hit the options button and "Relaunch in x mode"

What I am saying is that doesn't work for me. Run Chrome from the desktop and "Relaunch in Windows mode" it asks if you want to change the deafult browser and if you do choose Chrome it will go into its version of Modern mode. The Start Page link then shows up as a Modern UI app and will run Chrome full screen. The desktop link still runs Chrome as a Desktop app (as Firefox and Internet Explorer will in the same situation) Run Chrome from the Start page in full screen mode and select "Run Chrome on Desktop" and you just get flipped to the desktop, nothing changes. Chrome continues to run in full screen mode when started from the Start Page and will even run in full screen mode if you use a link shortcut off the desktop (which Firefox and Internet Explorer do not do in the same situation). The end result is to properly manage the switch between Modern and Desktop mode you stll have to switch your default browser manually.

I am assuming that the flip doesn't work for the same reason when Chrome gets mannually updated it cannort restart itself. The download takes place, you get a message to say Chrome will restart but (as documented) in Windows 8 it doesn't, you have to manually restart the new version.

My biggest beef with Chrome is that it really doesn't have a Modern UI version, it just automatically runs full screen when it is made the Default Browser. To be fair Microsoft office does the same thing. There is no Modern UI version of Office so when you run it form the Start Page it opens in full screen to make it look like a Modern UI app.

#23 AndyAmo

AndyAmo

Neowinian

Posted 24 February 2013 - 17:22

You don't really want to claim that there's any sense to this madness in Windows 8, do you? It isn't as straightforward as you make it out to be. Otherwise, why does double-clicking a picture in a desktop app (Explorer) open up the Metro photo viewer, why does double-clicking a PDF in a desktop app open up the Metro Reader, why does double-clicking a video in a desktop app open up the Metro video app?

It opens them as you describe because they are the default apps for those filetypes and those apps are pure Metro apps. If you set the default app for any of those filetypes to be desktop apps they will open on the desktop.

Open an internet link and whatever browser is set as default will open that link. If the default browser opens a link off the desktop, it will open in desktop mode, If the default browser opens a link embedded in a Metro app it will open in Metro mode. Simples.

Except Chrome which, when it is the default browser, will always open a link in full screen mode.

#24 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 17:33

It opens them as you describe because they are the default apps for those filetypes

Yes, they are. The question is…why? I imagine Microsoft's answer to be something like "so that you aren't thrown out of the Metro environment when encountering one of those files". Except as a consequence, the equivalent to that is exactly what happens by default when you're on the desktop. Thankfully, you can easily change this. It's a maddening default setting nonetheless.

those apps are pure Metro apps.

but with Desktop equivalents that also ship with Windows 8 (except for, unfortunately, the Reader app)

#25 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 24 February 2013 - 20:13

Yes, they are. The question is…why? I imagine Microsoft's answer to be something like "so that you aren't thrown out of the Metro environment when encountering one of those files". Except as a consequence, the equivalent to that is exactly what happens by default when you're on the desktop. Thankfully, you can easily change this. It's a maddening default setting nonetheless.

but with Desktop equivalents that also ship with Windows 8 (except for, unfortunately, the Reader app)

Why? Because Microsoft is moving Windows to Metro. It's the way forward for them. Expect to see more Metro interaction, even on the desktop.