Windows UI Improvements

win8

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 Pulagatha

Pulagatha

Neowinian

Posted 24 February 2013 - 16:50

I don't want them to get rid of Aero. I want them to bring it back and improve upon it. I hate the flat design.

#17 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 24 February 2013 - 16:58

I don't want them to get rid of Aero. I want them to bring it back and improve upon it. I hate the flat design.

Aero isn't gone, Aero glass is, unless you mean Aero Glass?

#18 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 24 February 2013 - 17:17

I wander how much Blue will fix in this regard. WMP looks so outdated and as it is the only application to play music Windows ships, this is just pathetic. Also WMP for W8 has the same exact issues as WMP for W7.

#19 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 24 February 2013 - 19:17

Aero Basic is still present in numerous applications and the buttons have the old style gradients:

Posted Image

I know some of the burden lies with developers but clearly Aero Basic code is still present within Windows 8 and wasn't updated to the new visual style.

#20 phailyoor

phailyoor

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717

Posted 24 February 2013 - 21:35

Aero Basic is still present in numerous applications and the buttons have the old style gradients:

I know some of the burden lies with developers but clearly Aero Basic code is still present within Windows 8 and wasn't updated to the new visual style.

All standard MDA apps look like this because of MS half assed job with thier VS.

#21 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 24 February 2013 - 21:41

The best thing they could do is to try and put all the leftover pop up dialog windows into the root control panel window. They put a number of them in already but never went all the way. After that we need new icons and we'll see what's left after that. Since they updated task manager I have hope that they'll do the same to other tools like disk management and so on.

#22 Pulagatha

Pulagatha

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:01

Aero isn't gone, Aero glass is, unless you mean Aero Glass?

I mean Aero Glass.

#23 Charneowin

Charneowin

Neowinian

Posted 01 March 2013 - 18:43

Posted Image

If we look at this image, we do not see that there is a title (Sender Name / Subject / etc) because it has the same color as the list; okay the pre-selection is blue, but when the cursor is on another line, then the title no longer attracts our attention.

I would also like to tell that the scrollbars are now a nightmare. They can't be seen anymore!

Conclusion: More CONTRAST is needed.

Windows 2000 was excellent regarding the contrasts.

Cheers

#24 1941

Banned

Posted 01 March 2013 - 20:30

Looks like___________. I am glad I did not upgrade.

#25 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 March 2013 - 20:43

You do know that that's the same version found in Windows 7 right? The point is to show apps that have been in both that they need to update the UI for.

#26 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 01 March 2013 - 20:44

It's going to take a lot of work to unify the UI for Windows. And I don't think Microsoft has the resources to pull it off. They're too busy making incremental changes to go back to the older stuff and update them. It would be nice if all the older icons are updated but most users won't complain about it.

I think it would go a long way if Microsoft made a team dedicated to updating the UI so it matches their current interface and design guidelines.

#27 zeke009

zeke009

yeap...

• Phone: Lumia 920 (AT&T)

Posted 01 March 2013 - 20:44

Outlook 2013 still has the same old "Outlook Today" screen and 5 default themes as Outlook 2000 or earlier. They should either update it or remove it entirely.

I'm surprised this feature has been ignored for as long as it has been, it gets uglier with each release of Outlook too!

#28 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 01 March 2013 - 20:47

Good points. An OS that's been as controversial as Windows 8 should, at the least, be graphically consistent throughout.

You're asking the impossible of Microsoft. They can't be consistent if their lives depended on it. I think Win2000 was probably the most consistent-looking OS since the Win3.x days. Remember the infamous Win3.x-era font panel that was around through Vista? Windows is simply too big at this point for old icons and dialog boxes to be updated to be consistent. And even if they could be, Microsoft has made it clear they have no intention of fixing what isn't technically broken.

They need to fix the bug where, if you choose black for the window border, the title bar text is unreadable. Or just put back the classic window appearance dialog box... The default blue on client and especially server 2012 is extremely hideous.

I agree, it doesn't make the text completely black, but a very dark gray that is basically unreadable unless you stare at it head-on. Why on Earth they didn't automatically contrast the text to be readable against any color scheme is beyond me, especially when this seemingly worked fine in Vista and 7.

#29 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 March 2013 - 20:47

It's going to take a lot of work to unify the UI for Windows. And I don't think Microsoft has the resources to pull it off. They're too busy making incremental changes to go back to the older stuff and update them. It would be nice if all the older icons are updated but most users won't complain about it.

I think it would go a long way if Microsoft made a team dedicated to updating the UI so it matches their current interface and design guidelines.

Well if they do update things quicker like with blue we should see these little things updated or dropped and replaced by something new.

#30 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 01 March 2013 - 20:51

Aero Glass is no more, but the underlying Aero technologies, like GPU-acceleration, is still in Win8.

Well if they do update things quicker like with blue we should see these little things updated or dropped and replaced by something new.

The problem, again, is with Windows' legacy support. Even if they dropped one small, ancient dialog box, it would likely break some old program that relied on it. I would love for Microsoft to do what Apple did and completely start fresh with a new code base, and simply cutting off legacy support entirely, but let's face it, Microsoft just can't do this. They have too many clients with different hardware configurations to support.

At the very least, I'd at least like to see old icons get updated, along with the extremely annoying Screen Saver dialog box, but if it hasn't happened by now, it never will.